“Reliable Marriott”
Review of Courtyard Hickory

Courtyard Hickory
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Hickory
Reviewed 14 July 2013

It may seem useless to review a Marriott Courtyard because their quality control is so consistently intact. The Hickory location is no exception. My husband and I spent one night while in transit and had a restful sleep. The room was dark, temperature and ventilation perfect, bed very comfortable, bathroom ample and clean, free breakfast tasty and generous. It is an easy 45-minute highway drive from the Charlotte airport. It is an especially convenient place to stay if you have a night airport arrival and need a place before heading into the mountains the next day. Note: It is a tad confusing to locate as it is tucked a little behind a popular chain restaurant (Outback Steakhouse?).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We travel through the area a couple of times a year to see family. We had stayed here some years ago when it was a different brand. Normally we stay at the fairly new Hampton Inn next door but it was booked up. The Courtyard must have been refurbished fairly recently because it looked brand new!

Everything was very clean! The room almost looked like no one has stayed there. There were very minor like a smudge on the wallpaper in the corner in the bathroom. The sheets were very soft and the pillows were great.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Crystal B
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I love staying here.
It is so clean, so nice. Probably one of the nicer hotels in Hickory.
It is very close to everything.
Hotel is modern and very updated.
Always a smooth and friendly check-in.
We've not had the breakfast there before, but I am sure it is good, too.
Has a pool, hot-tub and a small exercise gym.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

I can't think of a single thing to complain about everything was just perfect. Beautiful hotel amenities were awesome. they even have Self Serve laundry. Every Clerk I spoke with was extremely helpful and friendly. And the grill was very good as well. 5 stars all around.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Suzanne L
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is one of the nicest Courtyards I have stayed in and I have stayed in many. Lobby is big and looks recently updated. Nice gym.

Rooms were big and clean. The only reason I didn't give them an excellent rating is because I had a drainage problem in my bathroom and it took a bit of effort to get resolved. When I ran water in the sink, it backed up in the tub and smelled bad. It was frustrating that we found out that it was a known problem and they gave us the room anyway.

I made the suggestion that they give us an empty room to take a shower in - it took them a while to get back to us but they took my suggestion and delivered a key to the room (on the same floor) to us.

I would definitely stay here again. I think this was just a one-off problem on a busy weekend.

Hotel is located right off Interstate 40 and there are several restaurants within 1 mile.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Another smooth business overnight stay......helpful staff, nice bar, walk over or caraba's will deliver....decent enough gym and clean rooms. Close to most everything you need. Choose this over the Fairfield next door. Upgraded and renovated.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We arrived after attending a wedding to find this hotel full of screaming, running wild children. You literally could not walk thru the lobby without having to dodge running children. We checked in and my husband went to the gym for a workout, and since I was suffering from a nasty cold, I decided to rest and nap. This became impossible, due to the constant sound of kids running up and down the hallways, yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs.
I called down to the front desk and they assured me they would try to do something about it. When my husband returned from the gym, he told me the kids had already broken one of the treadmills. We decided to go downstairs and meet up with some family members for a drink and to decide about dinner plans. There was a group of parents in the bar area screaming and yelling so we left and went upstairs to pack and leave. The hotel staff was extremely sympathetic and agreed to not charge us for the rooms, and even agreed to give my brother in law back points that he used for his room. For this reason, I would stay here again, but would ask about other groups that just might be there as well! Note: We did write a letter to Marriott to commend the managers for doing all they could to help us, and for being so understanding about our desire to leave even after we had checked in and used the room. They handeled the situation as best as they could. Kudos to them!

Room Tip: ALWAYS ask if there are any large groups (especially those with kids) staying at the hotel! I am n...