“Nice hotel. Good stay.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Hickory
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Hickory
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We had a good experience at this hotel. The front desk person wasn't super friendly when we walked in but the other staff was nice. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was continental and good if you like continental.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Chasity E, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Thank You for taking the time to post a review for us. We are glad you had a good experience staying at our property. We always provide a clean and comfortable room at a great rate for all our guests. We do hope the next time you are in the Hickory area you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed here a couple of nights when we were dropping our college son off for summer baseball. The property was clean and well kept. Parking lot well lit. Our room was clean and beds were comfortable. The breakfast was also good (waffles, cereals, sausage biscuits, bagels, oj, apple juice, coffee, hot tea) Friendly staff! Good place to stay at a good price. Will be staying again when we come back this way to pick up our son in August.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank You so much for taking the time to leave a review for us. We appreciate all the wonderful comments, I will pass them along to my employees. We always strive to give our guests the best stay possible and we are glad your experience was great. We do look forward to your return visit in August to our area.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

No big complaints. Front desk was helpful. Breakfast, nothing special. Rooms were clean. Beds a little hard for me. Away from the highway so it was fairly quiet. Nice to have computer in the lobby to use. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chasity E, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Thank You for taking the time to leave a review for us. We appreciate all your wonderful comments which I will pass along to my employees. We do always provide a clean and comfortable room at a great rate. We do look forward to your visit the next time you are in the Hickory area.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I had to spend 6 nights in Hickory, NC for work, and my hotel requirements were relatively simple. I needed a place that had a microwave, a fridge, a fitness center, and that cost less than the government limit of $77 per night. The Baymont Inn and Suites, after the multi-night discount, was well within my budget. Their website advertised all of these amenities as well as a complimentary breakfast.

Siri had difficulty finding it by name, as she still thought the place was called Jameson Inn. Using the address, I pulled in a bit after dark and was checked in very quickly. The fellow behind the desk answered all of my questions, gave me directions to Wal-Mart, and recommended a grocery store nearby.

My room was super clean, well-maintained, and had very convenient parking. The bed was comfortable, the ventilation system, when needed, was able to keep the room comfortable. My stay was during the odd change of season where you needed the heater in the morning and the AC in the afternoon. Much of the time I just left it off. The fridge, microwave, bathroom, and vanity were all in great condition, although the tub drained a bit slow.

The breakfast had fresh fruit, milk, cereals, yogurt, breads, bagels, waffles, and oatmeal. Hot water and tea bags were generally available in the lobby at all hours, too. I was quite pleased with what was available considering the very reasonable price of the room.

The fitness center is where I felt let down. The hotel website advertised all the amenities I needed, and I couldn’t wait to get there after a day full of sitting — on airplanes, in airport terminals, and in the rental car — I was ready for some exercise. My room was nearest the pool and the fitness center. Between me and a good workout lay only a change of clothes and the ice machine.

I typically start my workout on the elliptical machine at home, so I investigated the climber. It’s essentially 2 steps on pivots with their movement restricted by hydraulic cylinders — like the ones that keep your office chair aloft. The digital display was very faint, but functional. It would count steps and time in both directions, but there was no way of adjusting the resistance level. I’m accustomed to running the elliptical machine at a pretty high setting.

I climbed the stairs to nowhere until I ran the little bit of battery power the unit had in it out, and I went to the exercise bike. I got on and started pedaling, but there was absolutely no resistance. I pressed several buttons on the control pad, but nothing happened. Walking around to the other side, I easily saw why. There was a Medusa-style wad of wires protruding from the back of the control pad. It was as if someone had grabbed all of the cables and yanked as hard as they could. It wasn’t something I could repair.

The treadmill was plugged in and ready to go. I got it up to 4 mph pretty quickly, and was “mall walking” at a brisk pace. I tried jogging, but I thought the bang-bang-banging might break the unit or arouse suspicion from others within earshot. Back to brisk walking speed, I tried to increase the incline. While there was a button for that, and the numbers on the panel changed when it was depressed, no actual change in incline was achieved. If I wanted to walk up hill, I’d have to actually go find a hill.

My last hope was the weight machine. While I had used a variety of weight machines at my gym, I had never seen an all-in-one unit like this. Hanging on the wall nearby was a set of suggested exercises. I did some wide grip pulldowns, some shoulder presses, and some leg curls. I spent the better part of 5 minutes trying to figure out how to do a leg extension with the thing until I finally went back to my room and called it a day.

So much for a hotel with a fitness center. It was like the island of misfit exercise equipment.

Overall, this place was a STEAL. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a clean place to stay with friendly service, a reasonable breakfast, free wi-fi, in-room microwave, and fridge. If the exercise equipment is important to you, this isn't the place to book.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 300's are actually ground level floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ryancopeland

Thank You for taking the time to give us your comments about your stay. We strive to give our guests the best stay possible. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we will use them to help us improve for your next visit with us. Thank You for the positive feedback and I do apologize for the issues that you experienced in our fitness center, they will be addressed with my maintenance department. We do hope that the next time you are in the Hickory area, you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites
Chasity E, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Reviewed 2 May 2013

The hotel is back off the interstate, so there is not much traffic noise. Plenty of restaurants & shopping nearby. Clean rooms, free breakfast, fair price. Have stayed 4 years in a row.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites
Chasity E, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We always try to provide a clean and comfortable stay for all of our guests. Thank you for being a loyal customer, we do appreciate your business. We look forward to your return the next time you are visiting the Hickory area.