“Plain and average.”

Hickory Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #89 of 285 Restaurants in Hickory
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We weren't surprised to find the atmosphere so simple (almost picnic style) in a order at the counter barbeque. But usually these home town barbeques have heaping plates full of succulent meat. This was disappointing on both counts, small portions and dry food. I had sliced beef, which was tender but not juicy. My husband had the mixed plate and found the ribs to be much better, even moist. The sides were very good. The baked beans were delicious, with pulled pork and sause added to the usual. The potato salad was also terrific, and the homemade French fries were fluffy inside and crispy outside. Overall, my husband gave this stop higher ratings than I did.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We eat here or bring food home from here often! The very best chopped pork BBQ around along with best slaw,hush puppies and baked beans. In fact I try BBQ from different places to compare to this one and I have yet to find one that is on the same level. Privately owned and operated by the same family for many,many years,. Well,well worth the trip over to eat there!! Great prices,very reasonable and in these hard times that is a big plus!!

2  Thank Canadian-Fan
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Was looking for a Barebecue place in Hickory, NC when we found Hickory "SmokeHouse" on N. Center St. I should have known something wasn't right, when I didn't smell Smoke. Basic barbecue menu, nothing special. I ordered their Brisket with cole slaw and green beans and the wife got their combo with fries and green beans with a cola each. I have seen childrens platters with more food on it and to cap it off it tasked as if they just backed their ribs, pork and brisket (not taste). I to top it off it cost $23.00. I'm not afraid to pay for good food, but, please give me food with flavor for the price. Don't waste your time.

2  Thank andy v