“You get what you pay for -i.e, not much in this case.”

Red Roof Inn Hickory
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hickory
Reviewed 29 January 2014

So we stayed at this motel because the reviews were really good and it was cheap and convenient. Our "non-smoking" room was formerly a smoking room and although it had been two years since they'd had smoking in the room, you could still definitely smell it. The whole room had a faint smell of smoke. The floors were not very clean and the bedspreads just seemed kind-of nasty so we just slept with the sheets. I hate to leave a negative review because it was $45 and the staff was really friendly. But, I felt misled by the reviews on this site because we'd planned on spending more and staying at a nicer place but the reviews were so great that I felt we'd be crazy to stay somewhere else. Never again! I'd pay for something a little nicer and forego feeling like you needed to take a Clorox shower after staying here. When we called to make a reservation, they said there were hairdryers in the rooms. There definitely was not one in our room but we were so creeped out by the room that we didn't want to shower there anyway so the hairdryer was a moot point.

Room Tip: Make sure your non-smoking room isn't a converted smoking room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Kimberly W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We strive to provide each guest with a very clean room that they can feel comfortable in. I do hope that you will give us another try and another chance to show you that we can do much better for you in the future. Thank you so very much for your feedback. We will use it as an opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We were in town to visit with family. On our first night we stayed at another hotel (Days Inn), and had an awful experience with the heater not working and a grouchy manager. The next night we decided to try Red Roof Inn on our daughters advice. What a difference! The room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable, and they were able to get us in on the ground floor...we are both seniors and stairs are difficult. Easy check in and out, and we also got a senior discount which made the room about 20.00 less than the other room. We will definitely stay here again when we come to Hickory.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Kimberly W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so glad to hear that you had a positive experience with us! We LOVE feedback and are always so delighted to hear when our guests have a great stay. We try very hard to accommodate all requests and know that it is important to make each and every guest feel Confident, Significant, and Delighted! I was very happy to hear that you will be staying with us whenever you are in town. Don't forget to go online and apply for our RediCard! It's a great way to earn points for a Free Nights Stay!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stay at Red Roof Inns often because we like the free internet, typically good locations off interstates, and that they accept pets for free. We made reservations here for a quick weekend away in the mountains. It was not up to the standards of the other Red Roof Inns we stayed at as many of them have been recently renovated. When we got there we were informed that the washing machines were broken and it was taking extraordinarily longer to wash sheets and that the first floor room that we reserved was not ready. We were asked to move to a two-double bed room which we agreed since we had our dog with us and needed to get her settled before dinner. She said it was no "upgrade charge" but when we got to our room it did not have the microwave or the refrigerator like we reserved. Oh well....I did not say anything (I should have). During the night we saw police driving around the parking lot too, which I had never seen before. The fan on the heating unit had a slight rattle too. There were lots of nearby restaurants, and it is easy to find right off interstate. So, this is a basic room, no frills.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I sincerely apologize that our washing machine was down on the day of your arrival. Some of our properties have undergone our Next Generation remodel and we are so very proud of them. Our staff here at Hickory strives to provide our guests with very clean rooms and outstanding customer service. We do hope that you will come back and stay with us in the future and give us a second opportunity to WOW you =).

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My Wife & I stayed there thru New Years day while visiting family in hickory.It was very clean and had a microwave and flat screen TV,fridge,very comfortable chairs and a nice desk area to work with a laptop also wifi. the people at the front desk were very helpful. all this at a great price. will stay there again.

Room Tip: none they all seem excellant
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Kimberly W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad we had the opportunity to serve you well. We know that many travelers need a comfortable place to sit and work on their laptops. Our in room computer desks are just the ticket. Coupled with free WIFI guests can finish up their work then relax on our new mattresses and enjoy the flat screen. I am so pleased that you enjoyed these features. We look forward to serving you again next time you're in town.

Thanks A lot,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Last week my fiance and I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Hickory, NC while visiting family in that part of NC. The hotel was bare bones, but very clean and well within our tight after-Christmas budget.

Our room was not large, but it was spacious enough. The bathroom was small, but clean and functional. We had a microwave and a desk. The woman at the front desk was kind and gave us a 12:30 PM check-out even though their stated check-out in 11:00 AM.

This hotel won't win any awards for beauty or atmosphere, but for cleanliness and friendliness on a tight budget it's well worth it.

Room Tip: We chose our rooms via priceline.com, and got a king-sized bed with amenities such as a microwave fo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your honest assessment of our location! We are here for travelers who need clean rooms at a nice price. I am glad you stopped in to see us and hope that you will visit other locations. Red Roof Inn has some wonderful changes in store. Keep your eyes on us to see what's coming next!

Thanks!!

Kimberly =) GM

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Years ago I routinely stayed at Red Roof but the chain was sold and the new owners failed to maintain the standards of the founders. After encountering more than one dirty and poorly maintained room and no satisfaction from corporate when I complained I simply stopped staying at the chain for the past several years. However this location was near where I needed to be the next day and I was able to book at a very reasonable rate. I also knew new corporate owners had purchases from the previous. I took a chance and was delighted. Room was new, clean and beautifully appointed and comfortable. Staff extremely courteous. Exceptional price value. I also like a room where I can park at my door and not down a long interior noisy corridor and far from a fire or emergency exit. Overall I was delighted with this place.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you gave our brand a try again! With over 300 inns throughout the United States and most being renovated I am sure that you will find other locations that you enjoyed as much as ours. We are truly happy to have such a great staff who genuinely cares for each and every guest we have the opportunity to serve. I hope that you will visit other locations and keep being pleasantly surprised!!

Thank you so much!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and comfortable room at a very good price. The staff was helpful and friendly, the room was nicely appointed and extremely clean. The location is very convenient off of I-40. Having experienced a few sub-standard motels over the years, staying at this property was a pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kimberly W, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hickory, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the positive review. I am so pleased to hear that you had a good stay. Many guests do appreciate the fact that we are so close to the interstate. Our staff takes pride in providing clean rooms and excellent customer service. We are so happy to greet and serve every person that comes our way. We look forward to serving you again.

Thanks Again,