“Great for just an overnight stay.”

Red Roof Inn Hickory
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Hickory
Indiana
“Great for just an overnight stay.”
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We stayed here as a halfway stopping point to Topsail, NC. As with anything that seems to be too much of a good deal, I was a little worried about staying here. However, I trusted the reviews on TripAdvisor as it hasn't steered me wrong yet. I was expecting the small room, but it was everying we needed. It was quiet enough to sleep, I felt safe leaving most of our luggage in the car as the parking lot was well lit, and it was a very easy on/off the interstate. There is even a Starbucks in the parking lot on the way out, if that kind of thing is important to you. The bathroom may easily be the smallest I have seen in a hotel in a very long time, but the whole room seemed to have had a refurb in the last year or two with new paint and carpet. The bed wasn't the best, but we were so tired it didn't matter. The room did smell a little musty, but again, I was paying forty dollars a night, felt safe, and it was just a quick overnight. We will probably stay here again on our way to the beach next year. So don't go in with huge expectations, but if you just need a safe, quiet night sleep for a good rate, this should work out well for you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SafireDrms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 27 December 2008

I agree witht he mix of reviews on this site: the owners DO care about customer satisfaction and the price is good in exchange for expected spartan accommodations. Beds were comfortable. The location of the hotel is good respect to proximity to restaurants and shopping, however I had a feeling of "sketchiness" with respect to my general feel of some of the patrons of the hotel. This is awful to say, but honest. I still believe the hotel was safe and I would stay again IF I could not find any other reasionably priced properties.

• Stayed November 2008
2 Thank DrBus
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 14 November 2008

Although very basic, this hotel is very clean and animal friendly. They are currently renovating their second building, so rooms are limited. CONS: The bed is hard and the pillows are old (hopefully they'll get renovated, too). Also, there is no coffee or hair dryer in the room. There is free various coffees and hot chocolate in the office.

• Liked — Price and cleanliness
  • Disliked — The hard bed and lumpy pillows
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank iwanderafar
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I stayed at this place on a trip thru the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was shocked to find such an inexpensive hotel in such a quiet and accessible place. Its dog friendly, clean and quiet. Cant ask for more!

• Liked — Dog friendly and very affordable
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank numbphoto
North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2008

This had to be the dumpiest hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was so small that you couldnt turn around, there was no where to even put the luggage. Our room smelled of funk. The sheets smelled like sweat but a housekeeper came right away and changed the sheets. The Bathroom smelled of pee. We did find out later that this hotel is popular among the hookers and drug dealers. There wasnt even a pool or continental breakfast!

• Liked — It was close to the ballpark that we were going to.
  • Disliked — It was a dump with no pool. I want my $50 back!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingFools3
Fayetteville, NC
Reviewed 24 June 2008

When planning to attend my brother-in-law's graduation ceremony at Lenoir-Rhyne College we booked a room at this hotel. Our primary reason in booking this hotel is because it was the only pet friendly place in the area we could find. To our surprise it was extremely affordable, close to the college, convenient off the interstate and there was no additional pet fee which was the biggest surprise. We had never really stayed at a Red Roof before but were pleased to find good reviews on here about the place. We had a great experience from the time we pulled up until the time we left. The front desk staff was very friendly and very helpful. Our room was ready and very clean and very accessible on the first floor. My wife was nearly 8 months pregnant at the time so that was great. The room had 1 king bed which was very comfortable. There was also plenty of room and there were more seating areas for visitors. I booked the room that came with free internet access. It was easy to connect too and worked great. The bathrooms were clean and passed my wife's inspection which is always tough to do. This hotel is in such a great location even if you are not going to be near the college. It is right off I-40 and near all the restaurants and shopping areas. The deal we got was just unreal. I couldn't believe what we paid and how great everything was. Look, it's not the Hilton but everyone should know that. You don't stay there for luxury, however, it is clean, in a great location, very affordable and has plenty of extras you need for a good stay. My wifes family stayed at what I guess they thought were "classier, more expensive" hotels and would not stay where we did. I visited their rooms and I would stay at the Red Roof over theirs in a heart beat. Thanks Red Roof! Two thumbs up. Maybe we'll see you again one day. If we're ever in Hickory thats a definite.

• Liked — pet friendly, no pet fee, location, value
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jlfharv
Rabbit Gut, OK
Reviewed 24 May 2008

After reading the reviews and making reservations for this hotel I worried that I would be the one that got the bad room. Because after all, its a fifty dollar room on the interstate. It was bound to be dirty or infested or have a bed that rolls you to the middle when you lay on it. Or even worse...All of the above.

Heres the facts

The price was low
The room was clean
The people were friendly
The bed was comfortable
The shower was hot
We were happy

And our luggage was perfectly happy too, while we spent the day exploring the area and having a nice lunch on some of the money we saved on lodging.

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — Wasn't free
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple