“Didn't Live up to Expectations”

Biltmore Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in High Point
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Didn't Live up to Expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Perhaps it is because the name Biltmore raised my expectations, but this was really not a great stay. I was only there one night, thank goodness. The "suite" was handicapped accessible, yet incredibly narrow and tight. Not sure how maneuverable it would be for someone confined to a chair. We requested an early check-in (not available) and the room still wasn't cleaned at 3:30 pm.

The suite did have a microwave/refrigerator which was appreciated. Cleanliness of the hallways and our room was not up to my standards and didn't appear to have been vacuumed recently.

I heard more noises from rooms next door and above than I have ever encountered. It was a very noisy night and sounds travel through the ceiling incredibly well in this hotel. If your neighbor uses the facility at 3 am, you will know about it.

The breakfast was included in the cost of the room. There was cereal, breads, waffle-maker, fruit and juice/coffee provided. I would have liked bacon/eggs or some other protein, but it was nice to have a complimentary breakfast as an option. Parking was very convenient and the staff were responsive to requests.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful night ask for an upper corner suite!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here recently because the hotel was listed as an affiliate for the Kersey Valley Dark Circus attraction this Halloween, and offered a free shuttle between the hotel and the attraction. I should have just stayed somewhere else and gotten a cab. Maybe this is unusual for the property, but I heard while waiting in line that the hotel was sold out for the night. The hotel was clearly grossly understaffed to handle a large amount of check-ins at once. I waited in line to check in for more than 20 minutes because there was only one front desk person, who seemed completely confused and overwhelmed by the line in front of her.

I had booked a room with a jacuzzi because it was the same rate as the other rooms with the group rate, and I had been looking forward to relaxing in the tub. However, there was a ton of black mold between the tiles and in the caulking, which made me feel like the tub was very unsanitary and I wondered how long it had been since it had been cleaned properly. It was disgusting.

Well, finally it was time for what I had booked the hotel for - riding the shuttle to get to the attraction. There were more than twenty of us standing around outside waiting for the shuttle to arrive when a white Tahoe pulled up. Apparently, they have a shuttle bus, but it was broken down so the Tahoe was the only option available. This was a real problem because the hotel is not close at all to the attraction - a round trip for the shuttle to get there and come back took 30-45 minutes. I ended up waiting about an hour for a ride. The Tahoe had room for seven passengers, but we crammed elevent people total in there by having an extra person on each row and two squeezed into a very small space in the trunk, which was quite clearly unsafe. No one could buckle up because we were so tightly crammed into the Tahoe that we couldn't reach the seat belts. I know I at least tried.

I had a good time at the attraction, and had to wait again for the shuttle on the way home. One of the other guests had gotten very drunk, and when we returned to the hotel, the night front desk person was outside trying to tell him that he couldn't throw up outside the building, which I thought was extremely unprofessional. Yes, it's disgusting when people throw up, but it's poor customer service to boss customers around for any reason.

I was overall unimpressed. The only reason I have given this place two stars instead of one was that the woman driving the Tahoe was professional and friendly. She was apparently the hotel manager - which makes me wonder where their driver was if the manager was forced to drive the shuttle. Either way, my stay was not good and I would not stay here again. I would say this hotel had the pricing of a 2-3 star hotel with the quality of a 1 star. You might as well stay at a cheap motel and save your money if you are considering staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Andy F, General Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Firstly, I would like to thank you for visiting and attending the Dark Circus event. This was our first year participating as the host hotel for the event and so naturally, there are some learning curves to overcome. Your feedback plays a very important role in our success with the event next year and for that, I sincerely thank you. We are in the process of renovating our hotel and are excited about the changes that are happening and that are yet to come. I am glad that you had a great time at the Dark Circus and will share your feedback with my team as well as the team at Kersey Valley Attractions. Thank you.
Princeton, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was there just this week and had a very pleasant visit there. The Front Desk and the Manager are just awsome. Thank you for just a great stay. I normally do not sleep well away from home but I had a great sleep. When I woke up and working on my laptop I heard the planes taking off and or landing at the airport, but they never bothered me thru the night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 22ClaudiaE
Andy F, General Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel and staff! We look forward to having you as a guest of the hotel again very soon!
Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

What a wonderful stay we had, went to a Wedding, went to the Biltmore, very pleasant experience, very nice people, I recommend this to all who goes to North Carolina, shopping was nice, and very pleasant, my only problem with North Carolina is that it is just to hot and humid, never experienced that before, you can take a shower and when you go outside you need another one, the best of it all was the Swimming Pool in the evening, they provide you with in the room a bathrobe and slippers, the room service was so great, the food was good, had a blast with the family.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jamie P
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Wifi ony gave a "fair" signal which wasn't strong enough, so I used my husband's phone's hot spot. I reported to them about the blanket which was full of holes due to the material from which it was made. You pull up to make up the bed and your fingers go through the material. I thought the blanket would be replaced, but we had the same one. My concern would be to not get charged for it; hopefully we did not. A countertop with the microwave and coffeepot area had a substance permanently attached in several areas to the surface resembling dried glue. Renovations are definitely in progress, showing a nice lobby entrance. Our jacuzzi suite was quite interesting, plus we got a discounted price, making it equitable to a competitive hotel. The jacuzzi does take some time to fill, as the hot water pressure is weak, but the jets work. The location of the TV was not ideal, but I had the idea that perhaps it will be replaced by a wall mount TV. When you laid in bed your toes would be in the way of the screen! Very convenient location for restaurants, gas stations, etc. without the street noise. Breakfast was adequate with oatmeal, waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc., but not a full service hot eggs and meat meal. Very friendly staff! I would stay here again! Recommend that you ask for a renovated room.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Andy F, General Manager at Biltmore Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for providing specific details! We are working on increasing our internet speed and connectivity, so hopefully next time you are in town, you will be happy with the difference. I am sorry this affected you during your most recent visit. Our renovation is definitely on-going and is to include a new type of bedding and new appliances. We look forward to having you back as a guest of ours in the near future and hopefully you will be excited to see the changes that we are working very hard to provide.
GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel recently during a race. All other hotels were booked, and after traveling all night and then searching for a hotel for 2-3 hours, we settled here. WHY??? Ok, first the room is [--] for the price, the Jacuzzi is an old as Jacuzzi from back in the days and it was dirty. The coach was dirty, the bed was uncomfortable and the cheap as sheets and towels broke me out. The bathroom was nasty, the door looks like someone had tried to break in and it's too open. No ashtrays in a smoking room, and an old as T.V.. Then after I wanted my money back, they said that they didn't do cash refunds, so I asked for a manager, who didn't come in until the next morning. I called early that morning and she said she couldn't do a refund, the general manager would have to do it on Monday when he comes in. She said she could give us a free night, didn't want to stay there, but was tired and didn't have a choice seeing that everything else was booked up. But I will definitely not return, EVER!!!...Didn't even want there breakfast, just wanted to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiffany J
I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not such a pleasant one. We are making great strides to improve our hotel with renovation and added amenities. We pride ourselves in our personal guest service and guest advocacy. I am sorry that we did not keep all of our promises to you. I sincerely hope that you would consider staying with us again in the future as great things are happening at the Biltmore Suites Hotel.
Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have stayed at the Biltmore Suites Hotel for several months as a long-term guest. The hotel is exceptionally clean and the staff is very friendly and personable. The staff knows my name and takes pride in the property. Updated rooms, new flat screen televisions, brand new beds, and new spacious refrigerators have all been big improvements I have observed first hand. The hotel is located in a quiet and safe professional district away from the loud freeway, but conveniently situated as to allow quick access to all major routes. Excellent restaurants are directly across the street and well as several gas stations. Free Wi-Fi and grab-and-go breakfast are great perks. As compared to other higher end hotels, the Biltmore Suites offers a lot without the inflated price. If you are looking for a very nice hotel without the high price, then I recommend this place. Especially, if you are needing short-term or extended stay rates, the management is great and will work with you. I plan on staying for even a longer term than originally scheduled. High marks!

Room Tip: No smoking rooms are available. Free parking and shuttle to major local events.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark P
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! We are so fortunate to have such loyal guests and nothing makes us more happy as a team to hear of wonderful experiences. Thank you for sharing your feedback!