“home cooking”

Cuisines: Barbecue
north carolina
“home cooking”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

the food was very hot & fresh,a very good meal (homestyle..I ate home style foods ,my sons ate cheeseburgers & fixins.

• Visited September 2013

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“Great food and experience”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Ate there with friends. The sides of okra and hush puppies, along with the barbecue slaw were excellent. The port was too. You have a few choices for sauce, just be careful as some are very, very spicy hot! We were checked out by a young girl about ten and a young man about thirteen.

• Visited July 2013
Welcome, North Carolina
“Great Barbecue, Great Value”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I've been coming to BBQ Joe's for six years, maybe eight or 10 times a year. Today is the first time my wife, a native of Lexington, NC, self-proclaimed barbecue capital of the world, accompanied me. She was wowed.

First, there really is a BBQ Joe. Joseph Housand and his family opened this restaurant in 2004, and it has thrived. At any given lunchtime, the place is packed, mostly with retirees and blue collar workers, although a few young professionals show up from time to time. Don't let the crowd discourage you; because of quick and efficient service, turnover is swift as well. Besides, while you wait, you can scan the commendations Joe and his restaurant have received from the local charities they support.

Interior décor is basic, with cushiony booths around the periphery and many tables for four within. The menu is also basic, featuring various kinds of pork barbecue, including pulled and coarse chopped plates, trays, and sandwiches. (Because of Guilford County regulations, Joe uses a non-traditional gas fire to smoke his meat. If you hire him to cater an event, however, he will haul a hickory wood smoker to your premises.) Unique to Joe's is a selection of sauces (called dips down here) from all over the state, including Lexington-style, east, west, and Joe's special sauce. You can also order chicken, ribs, burgers and dogs, and Southern-style vegetables.

The prices are extraordinarily low for the portions served. Today, my wife ordered a coarse chopped tray, Lexington style ($5.59). I had my usual BBQ salad, with extra Lexington dip in lieu of dressing ($5.99). When our food arrived, she got a half dozen or so one inch cubes of perfectly smoked pork, a tray of BBQ slaw (red vinegar based instead of mayo), and three doughnut-shaped hush puppies, also unique to Joe's in our experience. My salad consisted of a pile of fresh, crisp, finely chopped lettuce topped with a pile of perfectly sauced pulled pork, waffle-sliced pickles, chopped tomatoes, and shredded American cheese, along with hush puppies on the side. Our iced teas were gigantic and cost only a dollar apiece.

As always, service was incredibly quick, even though the servers, including Scarlette who waited on us, took time to chat with patrons.

Everyone in this region has his or her own favorite barbecue joint, and a ton of reasons why the other ones come up short, so I'm hesitant to call BBQ Joe's the best for fear of reprisal. But it comes very close, even according to my wife who grew up on this cuisine.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Bren B
High Point
“Yummy”
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

fair prices ,quick service ,very good flavor , Just the right size portions, Almost as good as Lexington barbecue, Busiest times seem to be lunchtime crowd

Visited April 2013
Helen, Ga
“Will soon have # 1 rating in High Point.”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

It's the best BBQ we have ever had in the Country, and we try BBQ everywhere we go! I had this restaurant added to TripAdvisor 2 years ago, so that I could submit a review. That was July 21, 2011, and it's still unbeatable. To answer the review of Bwodom S.C., you could have had the vinegar-based sauce that you grew up with in VA (DownEast sauce, as used in VA and Eastern NC), or you could have had the mustard-based sauce that you now eat in SC. This restaurant gives you your choice. You can also order regular cole slaw, instead of Central NC's traditional BBQ slaw. We have never found ANY fat in the chopped BBQ from BBQ Joes, which always amazes us. They cater to many events, including the International Home Furnishings Market.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MustBeTrippin

Been to BBQ Joes? Share your experiences!