“Charming and Quaint”

Wingate by Wyndham High Point
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in High Point
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The level of friendliness and service at this hotel reminds me of a different gentler era. I love the hotel. The rooms are cozy, the gas fire place is charming and warm. I have had 2 types of rooms on my visits, the queen and the king jacuzzi. Both were nice; the rooms are big, desk area and couch setting areas are very comfortable and the beds sleep great. There is a microwave and small fridge just the right size to keep some snacks or heat up leftovers. The gym and pool are intimate, I worked out on the treadmill. The business center computer area is very accessible.

I think that the hotel atmosphere makes the people more friendly. When people come to breakfast they talk and share. I attribute that to the nice breakfast area and the excellent breakfast fare provided. There is a good selection of fruits, cereals, waffles, fruit juices and more. The chef is so accommodating and his gravy and biscuits are delicious. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to get better/larger plastic forks.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the front desk staff. I arrive late night for each stay and am instantly and warmly greeted. During my stay staff is eager to provide recommendations for restaurants and things to do in the area. Last month when several of us were snowed in, we congregated in the breakfast lounge and laughed and talked and made waffles.

Recently, the Ashford Suites changed to a Wingate by Wyndham. I hope Wyndham realizes what a great asset they have added to its flag. The new renovations are very nice, but the service and quality of care given to the guests make it a hotel worth visiting.

Room Tip: I like the jacuzzi king room, but the 2 queen room is nice too.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vickee A

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I found my stay here to be satisfactory. The room was clean and spacious, although definitely dated and in need of upgrades. Most of the things that I had problems with were cosmetic (peeling paint on the wall, bathtub could stand to be re-grouted, lamps didn't match the general decor, closet doors didn't slide well on the tracks), but none of these things were detrimental to the experience. I'm not sure where they are in the renovation process. I did not witness any signs of construction during my stay on the second floor. The reasons I listed previously lead me to believe the second floor has not been worked on yet.

I must specifically mention one of the front desk staff, Ron, by name. He was more than helpful every time I needed assistance - from arranging the airport shuttle to tracking down a sewing kit for me. Very friendly and personable, and that was most appreciated.

The hotel is within walking distance of restaurants and a convenience store, offers breakfast, and has airport shuttle service available. I would consider staying again after renovations are complete.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank indigoforest
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

They are expecting to be done with renovations sometime in January. You do not get the rewards until then. Should be a very nice hotel when they get it finished. I am sure the price will probably double. They don't have a lounge. Although, the Steak Street Restaurant next door is very good & an easy walk.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The property has been sold to Wyndham and is undergoing renovation. It needs it so that is a good thing. I booked a lower rate than surrounding properties knowing work was going on. It did not bother me and while use, the noise was tolerable. They had display boards showing what the new carpet and wallpaper will look like. Hope it turns out good. The key for me though was just how friendly everyone was. It made a difference. I will likely stay again after the remodel is done. There is no jacuzzi and the ones in the room are just not up to snuff. Pool is small but nice. The property was quite clean given the construction

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank United858
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed at the Ashford Suites Hotel for 1 week in Sept 2013 on a business trip. One of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had! The hotel is obviously going through some Major renovations, but the entire experience was handled poorly by management. On my first day they decided to replace the carpets in the hallway on my floor. Now you would think that they would have moved the people off of this floor, as the hotel was not full, but that did not seem to be an issue for them! Gone all day I come back to a hallway that is sticky with glue residue, and they have moved on to replacing the wall paper on the same floor! All the room numbers are laying on the floor, not a big issue for me because I had the pleasure of being in the room right next to the elevator! On day 2 I come back to a septic truck parked in the main entrance with his septic encrusted hoses running right through the main lobby!!!! Had to hold my nose just to make it to the elevator. Could not eat breakfast the next day because the smell was still there, when asked why the front doors where closed instead of open to air the place out, the Manager stated that he did not want the air conditioning to get out!! Are you kidding me!!! I do not care if they turn this place into the Taj Mahal....I will never be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank rjfkjf
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have stayed at The Ashford a number of times and found it to be uniquely different from any other hotel in the area. Each room has a working fireplace! The king rooms also have a two-person garden which is roomy and very relaxing after a long day of traveling or working. An excellent hot breakfast awaits the guests each morning. The staff from the breakfast man and housekeepers to the management are friendly and helpful. The value is excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mpuncg82
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Room was not the cleanest, bedspread had cigarette bun holes in it. The sliding doors from the shower into the room was not the greatest and at night if you went in the bathroom the light shined through the doors into the room. When I booked the room I asked about AAA discount, but when we checked in I forgot. At check out (13 hrs later), I asked about it and was told no they probably already have it posted. A let me see, I will check, or some sort of interest in helpfulness would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple