“We were upgraded in our room at no request for my...”

Wingate by Wyndham High Point
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Point

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hamlet, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel was far enough off the main road so it was quiet. The room was in great shape and very clean and the bed was comfortable. Our room had a simulated fireplace which was a very nice touch! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast bar was clean and nicely stocked. My wife and I were very pleased with our stay at this property. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Place used to be great years ago but no longer. Hotel lobby now ruined with a bland open nothing but boring space. Who picked the floors???? Some gross metalic gray throughout the lobby. Who picked the color for the outside lobby?? Mustard yellow? Seriously! My bathroom was disgusting with broken cracked missing calk that looked 20 years old around the tub. My AC unit was on but barely blew out air it was so old and tired. Elevator also old and beatup they should do something about it. A huge bug was in my room upon arrival. Needs a repaving outside but they said everything was done. I complained they were nice but seemed perplexed. They said the room was renovated but not the bathroom and the rest of the room looked clean but old. Did they miss my room???? DId they even look to see if the work was done in their own hotel?? I dont think so. Someone asleep at the swich here

Room Tip: Tell then to renovate the bathrooms
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Elgin, SC
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I wanted to stay in this hotel because I had read some reviews that were positive. When I initially called this hotel for a room with two beds, they told me they were booked up and had no room, but I went through Booking.com and was able to reserve a double bed room. When we wernt to check in, at first they had no record of us getting reservations, but when they saw it was through Booking.com, it was easily remedied. I think someone may have forgotten to key us in. Our room was on the second floor, it was comfy with lots of room and we had a FIREPLACE. It was a little cool in the room, so this was nice. The TV, a flat screen, was big enough to be able to be viewed easily anywhere in the room. My daughters went to the pool, and they said the water was cold. Not only that, when they took two towels, I later realized we only HAD two towels in our bathroom so we had to go downstairs to get more, but that wasn't an issue. We also got extra shampoo since my girls use a LOT of it washing their hair. Later on when I went to turn on a little air, our A/C didn't work, so I called the front desk. They were all set to send someone up immediately but I told them not to worry about sending someone that night as it wasn't that warm, but to put it on the record that it needed to be checked. It seems they are still upgrading their A/C units. They're renovating, so it's expected. We went for their free breakfast the next morning and even though they start at 7, they actually let us get started at 6:45 since we had a lot of people that were coming in and had to leave early. The selection was excellent, but there is a tip jar. Leave a tip, they do a fantastic job. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Took a chance that the Wingate remodel was done and booked this hotel for two nights. The much-needed remodeling project is barely underway. Positives: The staff was friendly and helpful, the location was convenient; breakfast was quite good with a huge variety of items; and the mattress was excellent and the room was clean.

Negatives: Bathroom lighting was terrible; Shower was conducive to slips/falls and the old whirlpool tub surround looking terrible; Hide-a-bed sofa was typically uncomfortable to sit upon and the upholstery was really showing its age. Layout of the room was quirky. The ELECTRIC fireplace and opposite corner microwave/dorm refrigerator area just ate up valuable space. Linens were mismatched but clean. One tiny elevator for a hotel of this size is rather disappointing. The door to our room did not close snugly and therefore left a huge crack that allowed light and noise to enter from the hallway as well as being a potential security issue. The tap water smelled and tasted horrible and whatever product was used for carpet freshening severely aggravated our nasal allergies. I will likely seek other lodging when I next visit High Point or at least make certain the renovation project has been completed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank electriciandad
St. Thomas
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The level of friendliness and service at this hotel reminds me of a different gentler era. I love the hotel. The rooms are cozy, the gas fire place is charming and warm. I have had 2 types of rooms on my visits, the queen and the king jacuzzi. Both were nice; the rooms are big, desk area and couch setting areas are very comfortable and the beds sleep great. There is a microwave and small fridge just the right size to keep some snacks or heat up leftovers. The gym and pool are intimate, I worked out on the treadmill. The business center computer area is very accessible.

I think that the hotel atmosphere makes the people more friendly. When people come to breakfast they talk and share. I attribute that to the nice breakfast area and the excellent breakfast fare provided. There is a good selection of fruits, cereals, waffles, fruit juices and more. The chef is so accommodating and his gravy and biscuits are delicious. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to get better/larger plastic forks.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the front desk staff. I arrive late night for each stay and am instantly and warmly greeted. During my stay staff is eager to provide recommendations for restaurants and things to do in the area. Last month when several of us were snowed in, we congregated in the breakfast lounge and laughed and talked and made waffles.

Recently, the Ashford Suites changed to a Wingate by Wyndham. I hope Wyndham realizes what a great asset they have added to its flag. The new renovations are very nice, but the service and quality of care given to the guests make it a hotel worth visiting.

Room Tip: I like the jacuzzi king room, but the 2 queen room is nice too.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Radisson Hotel High Point
#9 of 14 in High Point
Seven Oaks Inn Bed and Breakfast
Wingate by Wyndham Greensboro

Been to Wingate by Wyndham High Point? Share your experiences!