“Beautiful Inn, Mediocre Breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of J.H. Adams Inn

J.H. Adams Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in High Point
Washington, DC
“Beautiful Inn, Mediocre Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights while eating ourselves silly on NC barbecue, and it was a good choice. This is an old school inn, not like a Holiday Inn, but not like a B&B. It is more intimate than a chain, but not as personalized as a B&B. That said, we asked for recommendations on things to do or places to eat at the front desk a couple of times, and the staff always seemed friendly and helpful to us.

The front desk and restaurant are in a separate building from the rooms themselves, but they are separated by a private courtyard and sitting area with tables and benches to relax at. Our room itself was quite nice, it was a slightly larger than average hotel room, but the bathroom was huge and quite nice and the furniture and linens were all high quality.

Overall we found the room to be a step above average; the only thing I was disappointed in was the continental breakfast, which was weak (to put it mildly). That said, there is a Krispy Kreme 200 yards down the road, so it's not like you're going to starve to death.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tuhughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Pretty place but...we arrived during a rainstorm, no overhang, no bellboy, valet or anyone to help us with luggage or to show us where to check in. There was a special event taking place that evening so there was no place to park. Our reservation, which was made through the inn's website and confirmed that evening, was messed up so we were downsized (and charged more) not once but twice. The explanation we received was "oh we don't check the internet very often." Our room was in a separate building...we were pointed the way and again, it was pouring. The room was pretty, the luxury linens were Frette and were tattered and threadbare. The robes and towels had seen too many washings and were tattered and threadbare. The shampoo and other items were packets like mustard packets you get at Chinese take-out. The tub was huge. Breakfast the next day started at 7am. We arrived at 7:45. A long table with a bowl of cubed fruit, cold bagels and an empty hot plate awaited. One of the guests showed up with a box of donuts and Starbucks coffee for themselves. I asked the one kitchen staff what the hot food was and she said eggs and sausage but "the stove was taking too long". We got tired of waiting and left around 8am. Upon check out we spoke with a different staff person who adjusted out bill.
It has taken me awhile to write about this place because I truly did not want to relive this experience. It seemed like there was no one working here, no one was managing the place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank deborah2
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the JH Adams Inn this past weekend while visiting for a concert at the High Point Theater. I believe the inn has a relationship with the theater such that when you book tickets for an event you are given a link for JH Adams for preferential booking. It worked out for us. When I spoke to someone at the inn upon securing my reservation they were quite surprised that I was only staying for one night, commenting that they usually host weddings and/or wedding parties in the springtime that filled their rooms for the entire weekend. So be it, but we were there just one night.
This is not a B&B, in my opinion. Service is not as personalized or friendly. This is more of a small quaint hotel. The check-in procedure was simple though the nice lady at the desk appeared disheveled or at least confused. She didn't provide us much assistance with information about the property except to tell us where our room was and that we were entitled to a glass of wine each that evening. Parking for checkin is a little jumbled and limited. The front door location was a little confusing, but we got there though the front of the inn (to me was marked as a restaurant, Hamptons, which I suppose is the venue for the wedding parties, etc).
Room was a little small, older style TV, neat, very comfortable, large open bathroom with huge tub. Please, Mr. JH Adams, give us better variety of pillows. The soft, cushy pillows smashed down to virtually nothing when you put your head on them. Overall, a very comfortable room. We took advantage of the opportunity to have a nice glass of chardonnay on the front corner terrace of the inn. We were amused that we received waves from numerous passers-by. Apparently people thought it interesting that we would be imbibing in full view of a public thoroughfare in High Point.
While checking in we noticed several ladies feverishly setting up for a wedding party at the property and many inn guests appeared to be with the wedding. When I realized my veranda room was directly over the wedding party area I though to myself that there might be some noisy reveling going on that evening. Upon our return from our concert, though, all was quiet, and only a couple of stragglers were still there. Morning found us well rested in our comfortable room. The breakfast that preceded, though, was a clear disappointment. Hard, dry scrambled eggs were a disappointment, but the biggest letdown--no milk for the cereal. I was informed that they had run out---you NEVER, NEVER run out of milk for a buffet at a hostelry. That's just indefensible. I had to ask for real sugar for coffee, though there were plenty of alternatives. There was fruit cocktail, the type you buy in frozen bags at discount stores, sausage links, bagels and English muffins, etc. By the time we ate, about half an hour before the closing of the buffet, people were beginning to stand around with plates looking at each other wondering what they were going to eat. One lady commented that she was waiting for more scrambled eggs which I don't believe ever materialized. Oh, and they ran out of coffee cups, opting for styrofoam after that. So enjoy the inn if you decide to stay there, but just don't expect a really top notch experience, and decide to skip the breakfast.....and bring your own pillow.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sennedwhite
Ulster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

The Inn was clean, comfortable. Free glass of wine offered. There was a resturant but we did not eat there. Continental was included. We were on the ground floor and it was a little noisy one night from people that were outside on the patio. Other then that it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rjfs16
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Don't let the beautiful pictures of this historic inn fool you. The children running the place have no clue what consistent, professional service is all about and management is nowhere to be found.

I was so excited to spend a relaxing weekend at the JH Adams Inn, but from the first inteactions with the front desk making the reservation nothing seemed organized. During my stay, I had severals reasons to visit the lobby and at no time was the front desk being manned. When I checked out, for example, after waiting ten minutes I finally had to call the inn from my cell phone and ask for someone to come to the front.

Breakfast was terrible all three mornings. Mostly, they just threw a few eggs in the pan, let them cook until all the moisture was gone, and then served them with cereal. The coffee ran out every day, maybe because people were trying to wash down the eggs.

The resteraunt dinner food was delicious, but again the service was terrible. The waiters seemed unsure of their duties and overwhelmed by the workload. I never saw a manager.

In fact, I never saw a manager during my entire four-day, three-night stay, at any station in the inn. The next time I am in the area, I plan to stay at a chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank fairfaxTraveller
Ahoskie, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

This B&B was absolutely beautiful. The staff was very friendly and professional and the room was georgous! The bathroom was like something out of a moviestars mansion. Not only was there a spacious walk Inn shower but a very large Jacuzzi as well. The furniture was very nice. I would very much so recommend this B&B to anyone who needs to make a trip to High Point.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

The main hotel is beautiful with character and friendly staff, but if they are out of rooms and offer you one in the Dalton house, find somewhere else to stay. It just feels grimy and smells musty. It's kind of like the forgotten about part of the hotel. And three of the four bedrooms share one tiny bathroom, and there was a dead bug on the floor of it.
I want to reiterate though, we LOVE the main hotel, and intend on staying there again (so long as they don't figure out who wrote this review) just not the Dalton house.

• Stayed December 2010
#6 of 14 in High Point
O.Henry Hotel
O.Henry Hotel
#1 of 76 in Greensboro

Been to J.H. Adams Inn? Share your experiences!