“Excited to have this place nearby!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maize Cantina - CLOSED

Maize Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Kernersville, NC
“Excited to have this place nearby!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Went here for a Saturday night date night minus the kid after 2 friends recommended it. I am a big fan of Southwestern cuisine so was stoked. Did not disappoint. Owner is from New Mexico and imports the chiles straight from there. You can taste the freshness! We had the tres salsa and chips. My husband and I died over the salsa verde! I had the carne burrito with flank steak and cheddar and my husband had the chicken enchiladas as recommended by our waiter Joshua. My husband thought it needed a little salt, but we were both very pleased with the freshness of our entrees and can't wait to go back. The salt air margarita is a REAL margarita, no sweet and sour mix here, just real lime juice and good tequila. Our waiter was great and recommended a Stout beer that my husband enjoyed. Can't wait to try the other entrees. Hope High Point will support this great restaurant as it is sorely needed in the area.

High Point, North Carolina
“Yummy lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Today was my fourth visit to Maize and my first time for lunch. I met a friend and we ate outside on a lovely fall Saturday afternoon. We both had the Enojado(sp?) Soup (delicious vegetable soup with quinoa) and the Picado salad. The soup was delicious- just spicy enough to be flavorful but not too spicy.The salad is a molded salad with lots of vegetables and a great flavor. This was my favorite meal here so far. (The fish tacos are also delicious.)
So glad to have this new comfortable, reasonably priced restaurant in High Point- and great to have a nice place open for Saturday lunch.

Archdale, North Carolina
“Great new restaurant in High Point”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Maize Cantina is located in a strip center, but has been beautifully renovated. The service and food were excellent. We went on a Friday night with friends and were pleased that the staff did not hover over us or rush us through our meal. Don't expect Mexican or Tex-Mex...it is southwestern cuisine. We had the tres salsas for an appetizer and and were pleased with it. The drinks were good, too. Our friends both ordered the enchiladas, my husband had the Santa Fe sandwich, and I ordered the Burrito Pollo. Everything was well prepared and well seasoned. The waitress pointed out the dishes that were hot so we could decide if we wanted to try them. The side dish with the fresh corn and zucchinni was delicious. It was nice to find a restaurant like this in High Point. It could be a new favorite!

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Recently had a dinner. The atmosphere and service were very decent, food however - although fresh, not so much. Food is simply put - either lacking any flavor or spiced too much. Chowder soup was ok but overpowered by garlic, mahi mahi was dry and salted way too much. Burger tasted bland and "spanish rice" was made of rice with tomato sauce. Their "signature" salad dressing is actually mayo....The appetizer taquitos were actually quite good but that is not enough reason for us to return. There are better places to eat in HP.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
High Point, North Carolina
“Recently discovered, now a new favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Recently tried this place on the recommendation of a couple of co-workers and was very pleased with it. While we enjoy our standard "Mexican" fare, we were looking for something a little different, and this certainly fit the bill. We have been to New Mexico and loved the cuisine while there and have tried to make some at home, but now no need to. A warning, the food is spicy, and while we really liked ours and both appreciate spicy foods, not all of our friends enjoy this level of heat. I hope they will have more menu items with varies levels of heat in the future. We have already returned once, and really enjoyed some of the daily specials. I believe that early comments about service, must have been when they first opened, as our 2 recent visits, the service was excellent and even seemed somewhat overstaffed to me. I am looking forward to regular visits to check out the specials and my favorite enchilada verde.

• Visited September 2013