“A-Maize-ing!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
High Point, North Carolina
“A-Maize-ing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We love Maize Cantina - the menu is inventive, the food is delicious and always fresh, and the servers are all friendly and prompt. Their wine list has several fabulous value bottles (and not all from California, unlike most restaurants in this area!) and they offer 1/2-price drinks on Tuesdays. When we have visitors from out of town, Maize is at the top of our list to show off our new town! It's a great date-night spot and also very family friendly - our toddler is always welcomed warmly. We cannot recommend Maize highly enough!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rebekahdiane03

Kernersville, NC
“2 Saturday nights in a row!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I had to post another review of Maize because it keeps getting better. The food is so unique and fresh here. Another salt air margarita ($11 so it's not cheap) however it's amazing. Last week I had the blackened shrimp tacos and craved them all week afterward. This week I went with a salad. To my delight it was a chopped salad with cabbage, spinach, red onion, avocado, green olive, etc. AMAZING AND SO HEALTHY! I topped it with the blackened shrimp. We also tried the queso dip this time, also great and a good portion for $5. I was glad to see the restaurant was packed because I don't want them going anywhere!

2 Thank Heather875
North Carolina
“Glad I tried it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Food was flavorful and a good attempt at southwestern cuisine, I've traveled in New Mexico and this is as close to true New Mexican Cuisine I've found, staff was friendly, helpful and attentive, don't go in expecting the usual Mexican Restaurant you find here in NC, you will be disappointed but if you want to try true Southwestern / Spanish food give it a try.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Will not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

I'm am from New Mexico and this was NOT what I was expecting. The green enchiladas were not what you get in New Mexico. There was no taste of green chile. You have to pay $5 for chips and salsa. All Mexican restaurants I've been to, especially in New Mexico, and local...Mi Pueblo, La Fiesta..the chips and salsa are FREE. In New Mexico you always get bean and rice with your entree. Here you have to pay for one. I order a cheese enchilada with out the meat and egg and ask for rice instead. The cheese enchiladas that the rice and beans inside the corn tortilla. NOT good. When you enter the restaurant you would never know it was Mexican food. Looks more like Applebee's. The tres salsa and chips are with tomatillo, pico de gallo and a regular salsa. Again..NO green chile which is big..really big in New Mexico. Sorry..I was just expecting so much more!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
NC
“Delightful experience with a hint of spice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found this restaurant shortly after it opened and love the food. The atmosphere is slightly upscale and outside seating a plus in good weather.
We have returned almost weekly to enjoy the ginger mojito with various selections on the menu. The soups are wonderful as is the shrimp en crema ( my weekly favorite). Portions are good size and flavors are a tasteful change from steak houses or mexican. The staff is very friendly and knowledgable but not hovering or annoying.
The desserts are almost all house made and excellent. Flour less chocolate cake with drunken cherries had a hint of heat, while mango cake with buttercream frosting and lemon curd had my husband wanting to lick the plate.
This restaurant is a wonderful addition to local restaurants and you need to give it a try.
Some weekend nights they offer music, which had us ordering another drink just to sit a while longer.

Visited October 2013