“Lovely weekend with great hosts!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highlands
Colonial Pines Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely weekend at the Pines. The location was ideal for our purpose to be in Highlands, a concert at the Performing Arts Center, and it was close to downtown. The breakfasts were fantastic - more than I could eat at one sitting - and our hosts were friendly, helpful and wanted to make sure our stay in Highlands was enjoyable. Our room was very comfortable and the snacks provided were delicious as well. And, who wouldn't enjoy a rocking chair or swing on the wrap-around porch looking over the mountains! This was definitely a do-again experience.

Room Tip: The only room in the main B&B that has a TV is downstairs but it also has a smaller bed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Donna A, Owner at Colonial Pines Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you so much for this nice review and we hope to see you again soon! We enjoyed meeting you & hearing about the unusual concert at the Performing Arts Center (PAC). We feel fortunate in our 30 years of innkeeping to have had so many charming, interesting, and considerate guests like you from all parts of the country and even a few foreign countries. We're glad you loved our quiet location half a block from the PAC and only half a mile from Main Street. Close by, there is a amazing array of music, theater, visual arts, boutique shopping, and fine dining to enjoy; but nestled on our secluded hillside away from the bustle of Main Street, you get a real sense of being in the mountains. At Colonial Pines, three rooms have Cable TV, and three rooms are "TV-Free." All have either king or queen beds. Cable TV is also next to the fireplace in the lobby with a library of DVDs for rainy day watching. If you are interested, we will play a captivating and heart-wrenching BBC video about the lives of black bears - just ask!

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My fiance and I had a wonder stay at Colonial Pines B&B. First, a couple comments about the location. If you are flying into the area and staying at the Colonial Pines, then likely you are flying into Atlanta. If so, the drive is about 2.5-3 hours. Mostly an easy drive. However, if you can arrive before dark you will enjoy the drive more. Better views and the drive is easier during the day. The last part of the drive, up into the mountains, is very steep and lots of turns. Nothing to be too worried about as long as weather is good, but certainly easier/more scenic during the daylight.

As you approach the B&B, keep your eye out for the ballfields, turn, and then after you make that turn you do need to really pay attention because the B&B cannot be seen from the road and the opening to the drive way is relatively small, with dense trees/brush. There is a mailbox. We had to turn around a few times.

My fiance and I were in town for a wedding for one of her good friends. So it was a very short/fast trip. Flew on on Friday, checked in on Friday night, checked out Sunday morning, and flew back to Phoenix Sunday afternoon. The B&B was perfect for us.

My fiance had book us a room in the "Guest House" which is a small annex building not attached to the main building. It was very cosy, romantic, and private. We enjoyed the room very much. The only warming I would offer is that the shower is a little on the small side and although I think the overall size of the room is just fine, if you happen to have lots of luggage it would get crowded. Beyond that, it is a very nice room, and of course very quite/private since you are off all to yourself.

We had breakfast in the main house twice and breakfast was very good. Lots of options provided and some self serve cold cereal if wanted. I recall either a NYT or a Wall Street Journal laying out which really surprised me given how far out in the country we were. The owners were very pleasant and helpful. They sat down with us during breakfast the first day and suggest short hikes we might take and gave us directions. We did a "waterfall" hike that was very near by and I would highly recommend it. A relatively easy and short hike but very pleasant and scenic. The area is known as a temperate rain forest and the wooded areas can be very dense.

The only other thing we had time to do outside the wedding was to stop in the historic downtown area. This is a must do if you are staying in the area. The historic downtown area is very nice. Everything from high end/fancy shops to hand made metal crickets on a stick to put in your yard or garden :) A decent number of restaurant options as well. The B&B is probably not more than 10 minutes from town, if that.

We did not really get a chance to tour the inside of the main house much or even the grounds for that matter but it all looked very beautiful. There are great views from the porch and there is a very nice old front porch swing to relax on if the weather permits.

We would definitely stay here again if we were ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeffrey D
Donna A, Owner at Colonial Pines Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

I love reading reviews like this written by guests who visit Highlans for the first time from distant places. They remind me of the delight and amazement I felt on my very first visit over 30 years ago. It's a surprise to find a small mountain town with such a high degree of culture and sophistion. In fact, Highlands was recently selected one of the Twelve Best Small Towns in the country for The Arts. And yes - we have NY Times and Wall Street Journals plus several brokerage firms and more banks than you want to know about! I've never heard any statistics on this, but I'll bet we also have more churches per capita than most other towns, small or large.

Highlands is becoming known as a destination wedding spot thanks to several of our larger hotels who handle all the details of these spectacular events. Our "Bargain Basement" (not really a basement) in the Guest House has a king bed, bath with shower, Cable TV and has become a favorite room for attendees who don't want to spend a lot. With easy-in/easy-out access, it works well for getting to all the required functions. Yes, the shower is small - I always say it's like a shower on a cruise ship. Another nice detail: In case you want to sleep late after the big event, or have to attend a brunch, breakfast is optional with The Bargain Basement.

To clarify our location, Colonial Pines is located in town, one-half mile from Main Street in a quiet residential neighborhood at the Corner of Hickory Street and 4 1/2 Street. The property is large, and there are two driveways - one from Hickory and one from 4 1/2 Street. GPS will take you to the Hickory Street entrance because our address is 541 Hickory. There is no mailbox or lighting (we are not allowed lighted signs), but there are white sign-posts at either entrance. It is a 10 minute walk to town and a three minute drive. I always recommend, if at all possible, to arrive in Highlands during daylight hours. Highlands is in a temperate rainforest and this can sometimes mean foggy driving conditions.

For peace & quiet, lush mountain surroundings, and convenience to theater, hiking, dining & shopping, Colonial Pines has an ideal location from which to enjoy your visit to Highlands.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

This was our first time at a B&B. Chris and Donna were great. The food was excellent, and they were extremely helpful in helping us figure out what to do in the area. The room was spotless and cozy. Thanks!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queen Suite. It has a bedroom and sitting room. Situated on the second floor, it...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg M
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Have just returned from a short stay at Colonial Pines in Highlands. As always it was a wonderful time shared with family. I can not say enough great things about Colonial Pines and the Host - Donna and Chris. They make you so very welcome from the minute you walk in until you leave. The breakfast is wonderful and the Inn, rooms are always so clean , restful. I have stayed at other B & B in Highlands, but , there is no comparison. Colonial Pines is The Best !!!

Room Tip: A "Gem" B & B in Highlands. All that you could ask for is here !!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RN Y
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We just loved Highlands. There is a lot to do and so scenic. Hiking, biking, art, shopping, eating...it was a fun weekend. The Colonial Pines fit the bill.

We were in the "bargain basement", which suited our needs. I really like that Donna and Chris give you the option to have a room without breakfast. Although I hear the breakfasts are fantastic, we left for our day of exploring, earlier than they serve (9am). We found a great, although very informal, breakfast nearby.

Our room was very clean, crisp and neat. Bed was comfy and the window was welcome (we got hot the first night). Several chairs and lamps were put to use - nice to have.

The bathroom is ample but very tight sitting at the toilet and it has a very small shower (like a motorhome - hard to shave legs) but hot water and pressure were fine, plus nice nooks to store all your stuff from toiletries to luggage - big pluses. In addition, very clean - no mildew and nice knotty pine walls.

This Inn worked extremly well for us and we are planning to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Headed4theBeach
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We just returned from a long weekend in Highlands and I could not wait to submit my review of the Colonial Pines Inn. We had 4 couples staying in all 4 rooms of the main house and it was PERFECT! The inn is a mountain home that is clean and fresh. The location is great -- close to town, yet quiet. The wrap around porch has a wonderful view and is furnished with a swing, rocking chairs and other comfortable furniture. Donna and Chris are truly wonderful hosts -- around when you need them and yet not around when you want privacy. Donna's breakfasts are out of this world! My husband and I have stayed at dozens of Bed & Breakfasts around the country and Colonial Pines Inn ranks as one of our most favorites. I hope our travels take us back to Highlands to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaPeach00
Reviewed 20 July 2012

After many day trips to Highlands in the past, my Mom and I decided to spend one night for a little getaway. The Inn is beautiful, quiet and comfortable...and what a view, even in the pouring rain! The owners were out of town for the night, but Connie took fabulous care of us, going above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and extremely well taken care of. The breakfast was delicious and there was certainly plenty of it! We would definitely recommend Colonial Pines and hope to stay again some day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family