“Wonderful Week-End Get Away”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highlands
Colonial Pines Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Birmingham, Alabama
“Wonderful Week-End Get Away”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have just returned from a last minute get away and "WOW" as usual our time at Colonial Pines was great.
Donna and Chris go out of their way to make everything so comfortable and we feel at home.
The Inn is always so clean and welcoming . I must say that Donna out does herself with the breakfast. The food is delicious and the presentation makes it even better.
I can't imagine going anywhere else . The weather was wonderful and we met some really
neat people that were also staying there. To us this is a hidden paradise.

RNY

Room Tip: We enjoy the room on the upper floor , rt. side , back. But, the ground floor room is large and wo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hendersonville, NC
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Colonial Pines Inn in mid August. This was our 3rd visit there. As always we had a wonderful time and found the inn so relaxing---just what we needed. We walked to town easily and love some of the trails close by--also within walking distance. Our room was just lovely and spotlessly clean. Owners Donna and Chris are great people and so attentive to the folks who stay there. The breakfasts are over the top! Every afternoon we sat on the porch swing and watched the grand central station of hummingbirds feeding. The location is so quiet---a place to take a deep breath and leave all the stresses of life behind.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are perfect.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Highlands in a very unusual place. At slightly over 4,100 feet, it normally is relatively cool when most of the country is sweltering in the summer's heat and humidity. We've been staying at the Colonial Pines for about ten years, and now that I'm retired, we normally stay for a full week. Innkeepers Donna and Chris have owned and operated their B&B for 30 years, and I understand that most innkeepers "burn out" much more quickly. In any event, Donna and Chris have really "seen it all," and while they doubtless will retire someday, we hope it won't be anytime soon. Breakfast is always a treat, and our favorite is the meal that features something like French Toast with sausage. We've stayed in all the rooms at the Colonial Pines, but our favorite is the large room with the king size bed that's on the first floor. Needless to say, it's a real treat to sleep with the windows open in mid-August! Last week, the temperature ranged from the 70's during the day to the 50's at night. One of the best features of the Colonial Pines is its location near the downtown area. It's a real treat for me to be able to walk to Mass at the local Catholic Church, and I love to run up Big Bear Pen Mountain which isn't far from the B&B. I've never timed it, but I think it only takes about 13 to 15 minutes to walk to downtown.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but our favorite is the large one with the king size bed on the first floor.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Perhaps it's a little early to boast, but, OH MY, what a gem we've found! And at the last minute, too! A little under 72 hours ago, I started looking for a place to stay in a Highlands, NC for the upcoming weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The heat of our home in Florida had just gotten on my last cool nerve! However, I was probably not the only Floridian or Georgian who had had enough of the blistering heat this weekend! EVERYTHING was booked up! I called the 4 1/2 Street Inn and the lovely innkeeper their apologized as she had just rented out her last room. She then told me to hold on while she checked her deleted emails, as "we all talk to each other so we know who's still got space." She told me the Colonial Pines still had a room, and that they were just wonderful. She then gave me their phone number. I called and spoke to Donna, who said she had just rented that last room, too. When I told her we had wanted three nights, not two, she mentioned that their offsite cottage, Rebecca's Cottage, was available. She said it has three bedrooms, and I told her it was just my husband and me so we didn't need all that space. Well, she made us an offer I couldn't refuse. She happened to have those exact three days only available, so it was a win-win for both of us! We arrived today and picked up our keys from Donna and Chris at their inn. It was absolutely lovely. I would like to try it out sometime! We then proceeded on to Rebecca's Cottage and couldn't be more thrilled. It is charming, comfortable, perfectly appointed and quite spacious. My ONLY complaint is I have to leave in 3 days! This cottage is definitely on my short list for a much longer return visit, perhaps in the Fall when the leaves are changing?

Room Tip: We stayed at Rebecca's Cottage, which has three bedrooms. The actual bed and breakfast at Coloni...
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at Colonial Pines Inn to celebrate our 9-year anniversary. Everything about the visit exceeded our expectations! Donna and Chris went out of their way to make us feel welcome and ensure we had a wonderful visit. They're a great source of information on local restaurants, hiking trails, and local activities. The inn is beautiful, immaculately clean, and so comfortable. Donna is an excellent cook. We enjoyed our morning breakfasts of egg casseroles, country ham, baked breads, and fresh fruit. After spending the day hiking or walking around town, it was nice to come back to homemade afternoon snacks and sit on the porch enjoying the view of the mountains. On our last day, we were heading home before breakfast, so the night before Donna put together a to-go breakfast for us of coffee, fruit, lemon bread, toast and jelly, and muffins. It was the wonderfully hospitable touches like this that make us want to visit the Colonial Pines Inn again and recommend it to all our friends!

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Excellent breakfast, clean rooms, excellent hosts, convenient location--within walking distance to Main Street! There's an entrance on 4 1/2 street as well as Hickory. Also, there are several great hiking and waterfalls around, particularly Dry Falls, which you can walk behind! Would definitely recommend this inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Marietta,GA
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have been staying at Colonial Pines with Donna and Chris for 27 years and they just keep making our stays more pleasant. The inn is beautiful, walking distance to town, spotless, and they can answer every question you might have with great suggestions, You can do as much as you want or as little as you want. You can sit on the porch and read OR go down the hill and listen to David Coucheron (Concertmaster of the Atlanta Symphony and his world renowned sister, Julie at the Performing Arts Center (during the Highlands Summer Concert series) OR hike down Glen Falls (a stunning waterfall about 10 min away) or hike up Whiteside Mountain for marvelous vistas OR hear the St Paul's Episcopal Choir sing at lunchtime (two time invitees to the Spoleto Festival OR go to the Botanical Garden or whatever you want to do. The Inn is a wonderful getaway from everything. Donna's breakfasts are legendary and their hospitality is not to be equaled. We hope you enjoy yourself half as much as we always do and you will be extremely happy. Ralph and Rita

Room Tip: Breakfast comes with the B&B rooms in the main house; but we enjoy the "apartment" for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Colonial Pines Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!