“why go any where else?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ruka's Table - CLOSED

Ruka's Table
Price range: US$15 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd Street
Transit: Public Transportation is not available in Highlands. Private transportation is available through a "For Hire" service in the Highlands/Cashiers area. You may contact them by calling 828-526-8645 or emailing chasdash@rocketmail.com
Description: Ruka's Table embodies the spirit of Highlands with a casual but elegant atmosphere, excellent food and service, and a commitment to quality that we believe is unequaled. We buy as much local produce as possible to sustain our farming communities. Ruka's menu is an array of specials, salads, soups, appetizers, entrees, and desserts that are 100% house made from the finest quality ingredients that we can purchase. Our steaks are local, dry aged, hormone free meats of the highest grade. Our menu has a variety of seafood and poultry dishes and includes daily specials and our take on southern specialties. Ruka's features a beautiful, copper topped, full service bar that offers full menu dining and a huge assortment of craft beer, specialty cocktails, and a fantastic wine list. The bar is flanked by a large stone fireplace, and is situated under a 30 foot, beamed, cathedral ceiling.
Chicago, Illinois
“why go any where else?”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have reviewed this before…..but this last time was even better then the last…the spring menu is delightful….salads made with asparagus and baby peas…..butter beans…..chicken resting on a tomato ragu…….lovely …fresh….ingredients ….not over loaded with red onion and garlic…..and the service gets better and better!….the best food in Highlands…..period!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Katto Z

Highlands, North Carolina
“Another great evening at Ruka's”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have just had another wonderful evening at Ruka's Table. It was not just "dining". I say that because, not only is the food exceptional and innovative, but the ambiance and a visit with Chef Justin always adds something special to the evening. I am a local and enjoy the fact that you can go and have a multi course dinner or if you prefer put several starters together for a foodie's delight. On the weekends there is live jazz to be enjoyed. In Highlands we are so lucky to have so many wonderful restaurants, each with its own personality as well as signature cuisine, but I find Ruka's to be at the top of my list. If in Highlands treat yourself to a very special dining experience.

• Visited June 2014
decatur,al
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Since it had been over a year since we had dined at Ruka's and our last visit was very good, we ate there last Friday night May 23. When we arrived for our 7:30 reservation, there were only 5 other tables occupied and I was a little concerned. Our server took our drink orders and we received them promptly. When he took our entree order, he was unable to answer several questions I had about the grouper dish. It was described as Grouper with corn, fava and seaweed. As I am on a low carb diet due to my blood sugar, I wanted to know if the corn & favas were more of a garnish or as a side. He didn't know & didn't offer to find out. Of our party of 6 we ordered 5 different entrees. Our server turned in our order then we started our wait. After 55 min and still having not received our meal I finally was able to ask or waiter whether our order was lost or was there another problem. We were served in about 5 minutes. My grouper though in a miso like soup was dry & tasteless. What was it served on but a bed of corn & fava beans. My entire meal consisted of 4 ounces of overcooked fish. Only 2 in our party of 6 enjoyed their dinner. We would have been understanding if they had been busy but they were dead. Our waiter could have checked on our dinners but he seemed to be avoiding us entirely. We have a house in Highlands and eat dinner out 50% of the time we are there. Ruka's just got marked off our list.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Bamarph
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Surprise find”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We live in town and finally had dinner here. We were pleasantly surprised by the good quality and fine choices of ingredients. We would recommend Ruka's Table to anyone looking for a substantial meal with interesting flavors. The staff was genuine in their attention. Definitely add it to the 'new' restaurants in Highlands that aren't fearful of a varied menu.

• Visited April 2014
Salem, South Carolina
“My Favorite”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

If you are ever near Highlands do yourself a favor and dine at Ruka's Table. The food, staff, and atmosphere combine to make a wonderful dining experience. The interior is warm and cozy and definitely has a mountain feel to it. The staff is always accommodating, friendly, and knowledgeable about the products. The food is always excellent. The chefs focus on local and regional foods and have connections with their sources so they know exactly where their product comes from. I enjoy the wholesomeness of the food and the way the chefs balance the flavors of each dish. There is always comfort food available but also opportunities to be adventurous. Don't be afraid to try sweetbreads, fois gras, bone marrow, charcuterie, rabbit, tilefish, or anything the chef suggest. Your willingness to try will be rewarded. Ruka's also has a very good wine list and by the glass program. It's nice to have a restaurant that puts thought and effort into a nice by the glass weekly feature. I live an hour from highlands but I've been there probably 20 times. It's worth the trip!!!

• Visited February 2014