“Very disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Charlotte, Arkansas
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Highlands for a wedding, and when we booked our room, we were unfamiliar with any of the lodging options. I wish I had done more research. The only good thing about our choice was its location, right down the road from the Highlands Country Club.
This hotel is very run down and needs a good renovation. The room was fairly clean, but I walked around with shoes. There were cobwebs on the walls and stains on the sheets. The breakfast was less than stellar, and it made me wonder how long things had been around in the kitchen. Needless to say, if we return the Highlands, we will not be staying here. It is not worth the $100+ we spent a night, very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lindsay D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We are back in highlands once again and the highlands lodge is once again awesome! They are currently renovating and what they have done do far is fantastic ! We travel with our dog so they are pet friendly as well! They have replaced the carpets with hardwood so that is nice when traveling with a pet! New furniture and flat screen TV's, not that u are going to sit around watching tv but they are nice! The staff is always friendly and very accommodating! If you are looking for a quiet, very clean hotel that is walking distance to down town this is the place for you!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Scarlett1234
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I happened to be in Highlands in need of a hotel and stumbled on the Lodge. It is practically downtown and so convenient! I checked in late at night and they made me feel very welcome.

My room was spacious, clean, quiet and I loved having outdoor access to my car from the first floor. I slept very well!

In the morning the staff was helpful with directions and seemed to be genuinely happy for my visit.

I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Loved he first floor for direct access to my car.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCWATL
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We recently visited highlands for the annual Christmas parade! We had reservations at another hotel but they called and cancelled on us! We found the highlands inn lodge and they were very nice from the beginning! We were able to bring our little girl and her puppy up for the parade ! This hotel is pet friendly, clean and offers a nice breakfast! They even had a "doggy" bag full of treats waiting for us. The staff is very nice and will help in any way possible! We were even able to get a fridge placed in our room for our child's milk and stuff! We will defiantly be staying here again!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Scarlett1234
Tennessee
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location in the Highlands, located just at the edge of town it is QUIET! Walking distance to main street, but if you prefer to drive there is plenty of parking. We had a suite with two rooms. Bed was comfy and room was clean for the most part. The tub was old and stained but huge! The staff is quite friendly and helpful. Breakfast was typical of a Hampton Inn, which the TV set says it is, yet the staff say it is not. They had a little issue with some leaky ceiling in the lobby which we pointed out to the night staff. The area rugs were a trip hazard in my opinion and they taped them down, which looked rather tacky, but it is better than someone tripping and hurting themselves. The place just needs a really good facelift, and I think it could really be beautiful, but it would cost major $$$.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan S
Irmo, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely room with a balcony and a gas fireplace. The hotel had been a Hampton Inn and is now privately owned by folks who also run a historic inn downtown. Everything was as advertised. Breakfast was fine and warm cookies in the afternoon were a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The good: The staff was incredibly helpful. They allowed us to upgrade from a single room to a suite for one-half of the price thereby saving us $100.00 over 3 nights. The bed was extremely comfortable--one of the most comfortable that I've had in any hotel. The jacuzzi bathtub/shower was a nice touch. Also, the nightly baked cookies were a source of delight for my daughter who made sure that she got a cookie EVERY night.

The bad: We had a gas fireplace and after the first night it was constantly not working properly. Maintenance came and examined it and said that it needed a $250.00 part and that it would take several days before it would be fixed because 2 other units had failed and they had no more of the $250.00 parts onsite. The TV sets were simply not acceptable for a hotel of this caliber. I expect flat screen/HD TVs in destination hotels that cost at least $150.00 per night. Not acceptable.

The ugly: Nothing too bad. But the decor, TV and other "artifacts" conspired to really bring the experience down to what one would expect at a hotel near an interstate. Little effort was spent trying to make the rooms feel well-appointed.

I would give his place 3.5 stars if possible. I understand it's expensive because it's in an expensive vacation resort type of town. But it needs work. Without the friendly staff the place could have been surfing in 2 to 3 start territory.

Room Tip: I'd get a room facing away from the park lot to have a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Wrosenfelt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#4 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Highlands Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!