“Sadly, after years of staying here, we won't be returning anytime soon”

Highlands Inn Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our family has loved this Inn and returned every year, but it is not the same. The location is great and the beds comfortable. But that is where the pluses stop. To begin with, don't rely on the quoted price. I was quoted a price for two rooms, however when we arrived, one of the rooms was not available. Instead we were given one downstairs room at nearly $70 more per night than quoted. Apparently, I was not the only customer who signed up on line to find that the room was not available. If you stay here, call the hotel directly and get your quote and reservation in writing. The blow dryers in the both rooms were broken in some respect and when I reported one, nothing was done. The room did not feel as clean as they have in the past. The breakfast was not for low carb eaters, the coffee tasted like muddy water and the juice machine spit out something that looked like dirty water with floating particles it. Overall, to me the food ranged from mediocre to gross, the bananas were rotten and the owners appeared to use a lot of generic brands. Bring your own toiletries. The owners have something in containers on the wall with soap, lotion and shampoo , but you have NO idea what you are getting. Given the juice machine and the coffee, we were cautious. For our lower cost room, $189 a night, we got a view of the roof. I almost never give bad reviews, but after a decade of loving this place, I have to warn you, it is not the place you may remember. You can find a lot more almost anywhere in Highlands for the $800 we spent for 2 nights.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank UBTheTravelJudge
shaycor, General Manager at Highlands Inn Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Thank you for your review of our property. It upsets me greatly that we have lost a long time repeat guest. I wish I'd had the opportunity to speak with you and would still love to if you would please call me and give me the opportunity to make this right. It sounds like you made your reservation thru a third party booking site over the internet. I have no control over their site and what fees might be added to my rate to cover their commissions. Booking rooms directly with our hotel would eliminate extra fees and hidden charges, which goes into their pocket and not ours. The "owners" have installed amenity dispensers as part of our 'go green' effort and we are just trying to do our part by keeping the gazillion plastic bottles and paper out of our landfills. Our amenities are all top of the line products made by Greenwich Bay, the same supplier we have used for years for the bottles and boxed/wrapped soaps. I am sorry that you felt these were generic and an effort that the owners were cutting cost and being cheap. I have no doubt that amenity dispensers will begin to show up in hotels throughout the country. It just makes sense,by cutting down on waste of plastic/paper products and by giving us an opportunity to offer you a better more upscale amenity(shampoo, lotion) for the same price as paying for expensive packaging. It also offers the guest a more plentiful amount of product, versus the little bottles and having to beat and tamp on the bottle to get a couple of drops of shampoo/lotion. We have also found the liquid soaps and shower gels to be more sanitary, than several people using the same bar of soap. As for our breakfast, I am curious to hear your thoughts and Ideas about what we can do better. You mention Low carb. We realize guests are counting carbs and have now brought back our omelet to better serve those guests. With our made fresh waffles, sausage biscuits, chicken biscuits, pancakes, French toast, variety of Danish, variety of muffins, grits, oatmeal, cereal variety, bagels and English muffins, I cannot imagine anyone going hungry or not finding something they like. We now order green bananas and that helps with them turning so quickly. I am sorry for your experience with our bananas. Our coffee distributor is S & D coffee and they do not sell crappy or generic coffee. We use their robust house blend versus a lower end coffee. They are a national distributor and we normally get great comments on our coffee. Our cleanliness grades from the health department are always 98 or 99, which is an excellent grade, as 100 is the highest one can possess in the hotel business. I am interested to learn why you feel we didn't feel as clean since nothing specific was mentioned. Lastly, I feel I need to address your rate comment. There is no way that we would charge $800 for two nights. That is just not correct. Even booking your reservation thru one of the internet sites would not be that costly. Therefore, I am just not sure if that is a misquote about the $800 for 2 nights. Our average rate In season for a standard room is roughly $150 per night and, again, that is in High season. Suite rates, in season, are somewhere around $200/night. If you still maintain that you paid $400 per night, please call me so that we can clarify this. I have gone thru all my past reservations and cannot find anyone that paid $400 per night at my property and, perhaps, you or I might be misunderstanding something. I sincerely apologize for any problems you encountered while a guest at my hotel. I am happy to personally speak with you to make things right.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Highlands for a wedding, and when we booked our room, we were unfamiliar with any of the lodging options. I wish I had done more research. The only good thing about our choice was its location, right down the road from the Highlands Country Club.
This hotel is very run down and needs a good renovation. The room was fairly clean, but I walked around with shoes. There were cobwebs on the walls and stains on the sheets. The breakfast was less than stellar, and it made me wonder how long things had been around in the kitchen. Needless to say, if we return the Highlands, we will not be staying here. It is not worth the $100+ we spent a night, very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lindsay D
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We are back in highlands once again and the highlands lodge is once again awesome! They are currently renovating and what they have done do far is fantastic ! We travel with our dog so they are pet friendly as well! They have replaced the carpets with hardwood so that is nice when traveling with a pet! New furniture and flat screen TV's, not that u are going to sit around watching tv but they are nice! The staff is always friendly and very accommodating! If you are looking for a quiet, very clean hotel that is walking distance to down town this is the place for you!

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Scarlett1234
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I happened to be in Highlands in need of a hotel and stumbled on the Lodge. It is practically downtown and so convenient! I checked in late at night and they made me feel very welcome.

My room was spacious, clean, quiet and I loved having outdoor access to my car from the first floor. I slept very well!

In the morning the staff was helpful with directions and seemed to be genuinely happy for my visit.

I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Loved he first floor for direct access to my car.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCWATL
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We recently visited highlands for the annual Christmas parade! We had reservations at another hotel but they called and cancelled on us! We found the highlands inn lodge and they were very nice from the beginning! We were able to bring our little girl and her puppy up for the parade ! This hotel is pet friendly, clean and offers a nice breakfast! They even had a "doggy" bag full of treats waiting for us. The staff is very nice and will help in any way possible! We were even able to get a fridge placed in our room for our child's milk and stuff! We will defiantly be staying here again!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Scarlett1234
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location in the Highlands, located just at the edge of town it is QUIET! Walking distance to main street, but if you prefer to drive there is plenty of parking. We had a suite with two rooms. Bed was comfy and room was clean for the most part. The tub was old and stained but huge! The staff is quite friendly and helpful. Breakfast was typical of a Hampton Inn, which the TV set says it is, yet the staff say it is not. They had a little issue with some leaky ceiling in the lobby which we pointed out to the night staff. The area rugs were a trip hazard in my opinion and they taped them down, which looked rather tacky, but it is better than someone tripping and hurting themselves. The place just needs a really good facelift, and I think it could really be beautiful, but it would cost major $$$.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely room with a balcony and a gas fireplace. The hotel had been a Hampton Inn and is now privately owned by folks who also run a historic inn downtown. Everything was as advertised. Breakfast was fine and warm cookies in the afternoon were a nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
Highlands Inn
Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Highlands Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!