“Once again a fabulous experience ”

Highlands Inn Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Once again a fabulous experience ”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I have to start by saying I had seen a few negative reviews before we came up this time and was a little nervous as to why this place was getting negative reviews! Well I have to say that the people that wrote those negative reviews are either crazy or the type of person that nothing makes them happy!

We stay here about 3-4 times a year maybe more and this time was no different! The staff was more than friendly and the rooms are spotless! They have been remodeling and the new floors look awesome! They have put flat screens in the rooms which is nice! They are pet friendly and always take the time to say hi to our pooch! Our daughter loves coming because they have fresh waffles in the mornings and fresh baked cookies in the evenings, not to mention they very sweet to her as well! Thanks again for another great stay in highlands! See you in December if not before!
Love Scarlett and Pringles

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Scarlett1234
shaycor, Owner at Highlands Inn Lodge, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello Scarlett:

Thank you for your wonderful review. I do appreciate you taking the time to write it. We have thousands of very happy guests, like yourself and upwards of 75 daily that do not take the time to write about their positive experience. I get several thank you emails each week from those guests, but they are just too busy to fool with writing tripadvisor reviews and that's okay. As for the negative reviews you mentioned... I am going to chalk it up to the fact that they weren't real guests and those of a prankster, competitor written, etc. Tripadvisor has no way of validating that these were actual stays like most hotel review sites do, so anyone can write reviews about anything or any business. Honestly, on the one review, the person kept repeating, "where are the owners?" Who goes into a hotel and questions, where are the owners? That thought never occurs to me when I am traveling. It really sounds like this review was locally written by someone that knows I work at my establishment daily and I seriously doubt these were real guests.
I really appreciate you being our guest. I see you visit often. Next time, please stop by my office and say hi, you and Pringles both.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have enjoyed staying at the Highlands Inn Lodge for many years and look forward to staying here again each and every time we are in Highlands.
The rooms are comfortable, the location is perfect, the staff treats us like family and the mountain air is just better there!

The feeling of welcome and the fact that everyone always goes out of their way to be kind and welcoming brings us back year after year!

Room Tip: I love the fireplace rooms ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FirestarGirl
Troutman, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I have been staying at the Highlands Inn Lodge at least 2 times a year for the past 10 years and hope to continue for the next 10. We love the balcony rooms that allow you to sit outside and enjoy the morning and evening air of the mountains. Friendly atmosphere, clean rooms and excellent customer service. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side with balcony! Nice outside sitting area
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jkeen2014
Northern California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've never left such a bad review before but I just had to say something. Where are the owners of this property? Clearly they do not care at all about this place. When we checked in they gave us a room other than what we had reserved and not nearly as nice. We showed them our registration confirmation with the room number on it and then they switched us to the correct room. If you need to access the Internet you will be very disappointed. Connection is very spotty at best and there is no lobby computer for guests to use or to print boarding passes. We were directed to a local business center where we could do this. Really? We can't even print our boarding passes? In all fairness, one staff member tried to be very helpful but was not given the tools to help so there was little they could do. I felt bad for this person. The other employees just weren't doing their job. The girl at the front desk was too busy chatting on her cell phone to help us, the housekeepers left us with no Kleenex, no iron and no ice bucket so we had to ask for these. And were weren't the only ones. Other people came up to the front desk to ask for things while were we asking for them, so not an isolated incident. There's no mini fridge in the room and nothing is where the room manual says it is so I'm guessing it is really old. They had signs saying they were doing renovations but we saw no sign of anything being improved. The tub drain barely drained so we were standing in water when we showered. The sheet didn't stay on the bed and there was no pad between the sheet and the mattress. No exercise room but then there are trails in the area you can walk. This owner doesn't care at all and it really shows. We paid $180 a night for our room and even if we could have stayed here for free we would have turned it down knowing what we know now. Just awful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lifeisgoodAdele
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our family has loved this Inn and returned every year, but it is not the same. The location is great and the beds comfortable. But that is where the pluses stop. To begin with, don't rely on the quoted price. I was quoted a price for two rooms, however when we arrived, one of the rooms was not available. Instead we were given one downstairs room at nearly $70 more per night than quoted. Apparently, I was not the only customer who signed up on line to find that the room was not available. If you stay here, call the hotel directly and get your quote and reservation in writing. The blow dryers in the both rooms were broken in some respect and when I reported one, nothing was done. The room did not feel as clean as they have in the past. The breakfast was not for low carb eaters, the coffee tasted like muddy water and the juice machine spit out something that looked like dirty water with floating particles it. Overall, to me the food ranged from mediocre to gross, the bananas were rotten and the owners appeared to use a lot of generic brands. Bring your own toiletries. The owners have something in containers on the wall with soap, lotion and shampoo , but you have NO idea what you are getting. Given the juice machine and the coffee, we were cautious. For our lower cost room, $189 a night, we got a view of the roof. I almost never give bad reviews, but after a decade of loving this place, I have to warn you, it is not the place you may remember. You can find a lot more almost anywhere in Highlands for the $800 we spent for 2 nights.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank UBTheTravelJudge
shaycor, General Manager at Highlands Inn Lodge, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. It upsets me greatly that we have lost a long time repeat guest. I wish I'd had the opportunity to speak with you and would still love to if you would please call me and give me the opportunity to make this right. It sounds like you made your reservation thru a third party booking site over the internet. I have no control over their site and what fees might be added to my rate to cover their commissions. Booking rooms directly with our hotel would eliminate extra fees and hidden charges, which goes into their pocket and not ours. The "owners" have installed amenity dispensers as part of our 'go green' effort and we are just trying to do our part by keeping the gazillion plastic bottles and paper out of our landfills. Our amenities are all top of the line products made by Greenwich Bay, the same supplier we have used for years for the bottles and boxed/wrapped soaps. I am sorry that you felt these were generic and an effort that the owners were cutting cost and being cheap. I have no doubt that amenity dispensers will begin to show up in hotels throughout the country. It just makes sense,by cutting down on waste of plastic/paper products and by giving us an opportunity to offer you a better more upscale amenity(shampoo, lotion) for the same price as paying for expensive packaging. It also offers the guest a more plentiful amount of product, versus the little bottles and having to beat and tamp on the bottle to get a couple of drops of shampoo/lotion. We have also found the liquid soaps and shower gels to be more sanitary, than several people using the same bar of soap. As for our breakfast, I am curious to hear your thoughts and Ideas about what we can do better. You mention Low carb. We realize guests are counting carbs and have now brought back our omelet to better serve those guests. With our made fresh waffles, sausage biscuits, chicken biscuits, pancakes, French toast, variety of Danish, variety of muffins, grits, oatmeal, cereal variety, bagels and English muffins, I cannot imagine anyone going hungry or not finding something they like. We now order green bananas and that helps with them turning so quickly. I am sorry for your experience with our bananas. Our coffee distributor is S & D coffee and they do not sell crappy or generic coffee. We use their robust house blend versus a lower end coffee. They are a national distributor and we normally get great comments on our coffee. Our cleanliness grades from the health department are always 98 or 99, which is an excellent grade, as 100 is the highest one can possess in the hotel business. I am interested to learn why you feel we didn't feel as clean since nothing specific was mentioned. Lastly, I feel I need to address your rate comment. There is no way that we would charge $800 for two nights. That is just not correct. Even booking your reservation thru one of the internet sites would not be that costly. Therefore, I am just not sure if that is a misquote about the $800 for 2 nights. Our average rate In season for a standard room is roughly $150 per night and, again, that is in High season. Suite rates, in season, are somewhere around $200/night. If you still maintain that you paid $400 per night, please call me so that we can clarify this. I have gone thru all my past reservations and cannot find anyone that paid $400 per night at my property and, perhaps, you or I might be misunderstanding something. I sincerely apologize for any problems you encountered while a guest at my hotel. I am happy to personally speak with you to make things right.
Charlotte, Arkansas
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Highlands for a wedding, and when we booked our room, we were unfamiliar with any of the lodging options. I wish I had done more research. The only good thing about our choice was its location, right down the road from the Highlands Country Club.
This hotel is very run down and needs a good renovation. The room was fairly clean, but I walked around with shoes. There were cobwebs on the walls and stains on the sheets. The breakfast was less than stellar, and it made me wonder how long things had been around in the kitchen. Needless to say, if we return the Highlands, we will not be staying here. It is not worth the $100+ we spent a night, very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lindsay D
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We are back in highlands once again and the highlands lodge is once again awesome! They are currently renovating and what they have done do far is fantastic ! We travel with our dog so they are pet friendly as well! They have replaced the carpets with hardwood so that is nice when traveling with a pet! New furniture and flat screen TV's, not that u are going to sit around watching tv but they are nice! The staff is always friendly and very accommodating! If you are looking for a quiet, very clean hotel that is walking distance to down town this is the place for you!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Scarlett1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
Highlands Inn
Highlands Inn
#6 of 7 in Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
The Park On Main Hotel
#2 of 7 in Highlands
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Highlands Inn Lodge? Share your experiences!