“Peaceful, quiet, beautiful and unique mountain retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fire Mountain Inn

Fire Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill
“Peaceful, quiet, beautiful and unique mountain retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Fire Mountain Inn was an absolutely spectacular venue for our get-away vacation. The views of the surrounding mountains are stunning -- enjoying a quiet glass of wine and watching the sun set over the mountains three different days was a high point of our visit. With no television, telephones or Internet connections, the Inn offers luxury in a rustic setting. The cabins are beautifully appointed and comfortable with all amenities provided, including double sized jacuzzi tubs and wood burning fireplaces. We were able to put the work world aside for four days and enjoy hiking, visiting amazing waterfalls and just plain relaxing. The staff at the Inn was fantastic and took care of everything we asked. We even had massages in the beautiful on-site art gallery. We will return to Fire Mountain for the perfect relaxing vacation with peace, quiet and the glorious mountains. Hiram and Matthew were perfect hosts who made us feel as if we were long lost friends.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
new orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

Our stay in September was perfect- starting with the individual attention at check in when the owners greeted us and helped us with directions and suggestions for hikes.
The cabin was very private- our own deck and front porch, with a full kitchen of everything you need to cook. Though we grilled outside most nights so we could enjoy the evening sky. The sunset over the Smokies is beautiful, but even the night fog rolled in was as, if not more, dramatic as everything disappeared and you realize only the sounds of the mountains. There are no phones, tv's or even a/c compressors on the mountain top so you really find solitude and peace.
And of course the fireplace was the star event of our evenings along with a jacuzzi bath -a very welcome treat after some of our more strenuous hikes nearby.

We certainly look forward to escaping to Fire Mountain again next year

winston-salem nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

The long, slow gravel road into Fire Mountain teases you with a mixed woodland, a farm field blanketed in cabbage, a spotted horse in a pasture and finally cabins dotted here and there standing respectfully apart from each other. All around, the mountains. We were warmly welcomed by the proprietors, Hiram and Matthew. As guests of the Inn, not the cabins, we were treated to a beautiful, comfortable room with views on both sides - the decor glows with warm tones and white linens and comfortable suite-like furniture. Every detail has been considered. Breakfasts are Matthew's specialty, with his chef's touch. Tables are candlelit and oversee the mountains, with a large, firelit common library adjacent, and soft, Native American music setting the tone. The hosts are always available but never intrusive. They honor their home in this sacred, Cherokee land and make you want to as well. This is a place for quiet walks and exploration, with no distractions and a deep connection to the seasons. Ours was a return visit
and hopefully there will be many more.

Opelika, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

Having just enjoyed my sixth visit to Fire Mountain, I want to share the wonderful experience awaiting the fortunate who choose Fire Mountain. Fire Mountain provides an extraordinarily perfect setting for a serene mountain experience yet is so close to the dining, shopping, and art galleries of Highlands. The proprietors, Hiram, and Matthew, have created a tranquil mountain paradise.

Sitting on my private balcony drinking coffee, I watch a flock of blue birds breakfasting on berries nd rabbits daintily nibbling on grass. There isn't a better way to greet the day! Breakfast at the Inn is delicious. Fresh produce, in season, from the Inn's garden highlights the menu. Fresh corn fritters, delectable frittatas, baked eggs with fresh herbs, and sun ripened tomatoes Yum!! The biscuits with homemade jams and butter are heavenly. The herb garden even has mint to garnish drinks later.

The rooms are decorated tastefully with art, comfortable seating, luxurious beds, lighting for easy reading, and beautiful vistas. My favorite room has a deep tub for soaking. The rooms are maintained in pristine condition by the pleasant staff.

My favorite way to end the day is back on the balcony relaxing, watching a jewel toned sunset. A visit to Fire Mountain is, for me, a little piece of heaven. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Fire Mountain forced me to decompress which is exactly what I needed. It's secluded with ample walking trails, breath taking views of mountains to the southeast and the west. While watching the sun's farewell in the evening, surrounded by nothing but nature, then walking up to my balcony facing the southeastern sky and seeing the moonrise, I was so grateful not to have the distraction or temptation to go in and watch T.V. I was forced to just be with myself, consider my blessings and what matters most to me. As a woman traveling alone, I felt entirely safe...even left my sliding door open at night to allow the fresh, cool mountain air in. In the mornings, I looked forward to divine breakfasts that included biscuits with homemade preserves. You won't need lunch after this breakfast as it's very satisfying. The Inn keepers are most helpful in providing directions for day trips that include hiking, waterfalls, and restaurants in Highlands. I look forward to a return visit to this little piece of heaven.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

I spent a week at Fire Mountain with my teenage daughters (18 & 20). It was the perfect venue - no tv, no phones, no clocks, no radio - no "distractions" from the quiet, beauty - just what we were looking for - me to get away from the intensity of a demanding job, my children to take a break from the noise and hustle of NY city. Walking the grounds you will find wild berries, cotton tail rabbits, birds everywhere. The herb and vegetable gardens had tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash and more - all ingredients in the wonderful breakfasts Matthew prepares in the morning. Time is suspended at Fire Mountain and by the time the week was up, we wanted to move in permanently! It was peaceful, relaxing, and rejuvenating. Fire Mountain is a very special place - not for everyone, but perfect for us. While I was there with my daughters, I would highly recommend it for a romantic get away. Try to stay more than a few days as there is a lot to do in the area (hiking, waterfalls, amazing views, lush forests, great restaurants). There are some neat walks on the property itself. There is a great art gallery, a library with tons of books and games, wonderful bird watching too.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Fire Mountain Inn and Cabins. It is a little off the beaten path which is what makes it so special. The atmosphere is serene and peaceful. You have truely left your other world behind. Yet, I was able to get into Highlands in @ 15 mins. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the cabins. It was equipped with a full kichen that had everything you would need; a huge jacuzzi tub; a sitting area with a fireplace(a fire was set up and ready to go) and a beautiful four poster bed with crisp, fluffy, white bedding. There was a large, private deck off the kitchen with a table and chairs where you can relax outside and enjoy nature. I took a walk around the property each morning and delighted in the mountain views, beautiful wildflowers, bunnies and aromatic mountain air. In the evening I enjoyed the beautiful sunset views over the mountains. On Saturday there is a bonfire to heighten the sunset experience. I had breakfast at the Inn on Sunday. It is set up in the library with huge picture windows overlooking the mountains. Each table was set with wildflowers and white linens. The atmoshere was relaxed and guests chatted with each other and the owner. I had the best baked eggs I have ever had. They were cooked perfectly with herbe de provence over the top. There was also fresh fruit, bacon, sliced yellow tomato from their garden and homemade biscuits. Thre was a potato cake that was out of this world. The owners are warm and helpful without hovering. They let you enjoy and discover the place without interference. The only quibble I have with the place is that I can not move in. My get away was just perfect.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!