“Wedding weekend experience”
Review of Half-Mile Farm

Half-Mile Farm
Ranked #3 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Disappointed! Expectations not met. Constant conflicts. Would not recommend for a wedding. Very stressful dealing with Kate. Not professional. She was in everyone's face.....this was a formal wedding, she wore jeans and a t shirt! So not appropriate. Inflexible, would not work with other vendors involved in the wedding without causing conflict. Had reports from guest having difficulties when making their reservations.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Patricia - A wedding is one of the most important days for a couple and their respective families - which is why we make every effort to make the whole experience perfect. We want the newlyweds to leave with a special memory that they'll look back on for years to come and smile. I am so sorry that you were left with a negative feeling... that is never our intention. My main concern from beginning to end is the bride and groom – making sure your son and his beautiful bride had the weekend they dreamed of was my number one priority! First, I do want to let you know that we all wear jeans and polo shirts the day of the event as we are very busy running around, setting tables, moving chairs, setting things up and getting ready for the ceremony and reception. Shortly before everything gets started, we change into more appropriate wedding attire. I was wearing gray slacks and a white blouse before the wedding. The caterer who was here for this event was Epting Events from Athens, GA. They are one of our preferred caterers – who we have worked with at least 50 times in the past. They are exceptional – and we are pleased that we have such a fabulous relationship with them. The band has been here several times as well... they are great and we also have an excellent relationship. No other outside caterers were here... It is often difficult to get 150+ people in the right place at the right time without being a little bit bossy. Your son and his beautiful bride were my number one priority this weekend... and a lot of this information was shared at rehearsal, which we are sorry that you missed. Our goal is to meet the needs of the bride & groom... This particular weekend, we were faced with rain, and some unavoidable last minute changes had to be made in order to make sure that the evening was as the couple expected. Again, we are sorry if you felt that we were inflexible – I just wanted to make sure that everything was perfect for the newlyweds!

Kate Messer
Innkeeper

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

This was a most wonderful stay and words can't express how great a place this is.
The inn itself is picturesque. A quaint white building with cabins available a short walk away. The grounds are immaculately maintained and simply serene.
Each of the rooms are individually decorated and ours was simply delightful. A rustic country decor. Spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. The bed felt like one was sleeping on a cloud. The bathroom had a spa jet tub and a scented sachet was provided each night to be able to fully languish in the jetted water. A flat screen TV provided entertainment should the refreshing expanse of the forest viewed from the balcony not be entertaining enough.
The cleaning staff were wonderful and even came in to turn down the beds in the evening.
Breakfast is included and this isn't just any ordinary breakfast. I would go as far as to say that the breakfast alone was worth staying here for! Chef Jason is simply amazing. He has a number of specialities and one doesn't know what one will be surprised with. What's more important is that I had let the Inn know before hand that I had a few dietary restrictions. No pork or pork products. From the moment I stepped in I never once had to even mention that. All was taken care of and all the staff were well aware too! I was beautifully taken care of and had a special plate prepares for me each morning.
Breakfast comprised of a two course meal. The first day we had an egg soufflé followed by blueberry bread pudding. Now I'm a HUGE bread pudding fan and somewhat connoisseur; this blew me away. Simply amazing. I dream about it as we speak. The next day I had a fresh fruit parfait followed by scrambled egg quesadilla with grits. I'm not a grits fan or an egg fan or a quesadilla fan. It didn't matter. I still devoured the breakfast. The last day we had the fluffiest, zestiest pancakes ever. Scrumptious. I honestly can't tell you enough how wonderful Jason is at cooking. Amazing.
In the evenings at 5.30 on hors d'oeuvres are served with wine. This was a wonderful way to meet other guests but if you prefer a little more privacy it seemed quite ok to sit and munch in a corner. There were always three kinds of hors d'oeuvres. All as delightful as any gourmet restaurant.
In the corner of the lounge were 4 jars of home made cookies. Delicious and just the thing for a midnight snack. Coffee was available in the evenings as well.
Another little extra we thought was fabulous was the availability of complimentary sodas, water and snacks like goldfish, pretzels and granola bars. It's so nice to just know that's there so if one did feel peckish you didn't have to drive out anywhere.
The best thing about staying here is the warm welcome and homely family feel. Everyone is incredibly friendly and it was great just being able to chat and get a feel for the area from the staff. All were so helpful and full of tips on where we could go and what we could do. Getting help from a local is the way to go.
Overall I can't praise the Inn enough. Simply perfection and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Thank you Inn at Half-mile farm. You made our trip perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

"Immaculately maintained and simply serene." We're truly touched by the kind words. It's so wonderful to hear that we were able to make your stay so enjoyable. The entire team will appreciate your gracious recommendation, so I'll be sure to share this with Jason and the rest. Our aim is to give every guest a little slice of Heaven when they're with us. We're happy to hear that we could show you such a good time. Hopefully we'll get to do it again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Well to start off we loved our stay so much that we have already booked again for Aug 2013. it's beautiful...Jason, Kate, Vivian and Carol are the best! If u are on a diet ..forget it while u are there...Jason doesn't cook diet food! I told him I was doing weight watchers and he said not while u are here..Jason is a fabulous cook! also if u have food allergies or preferences he will cater to them! We loved everything about the Inn!
Counting down the days until August.

Room Tip: They are all nice..we are planning on trying them all..stayed in 23 ..Aug staying in 15
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

It's wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for the very kind recommendation; I'm sure Jason will blush at the compliments. We really will make adjustments to the menu for any dietary concerns... and the breakfasts are amazing!!! We're looking forward to your next visit in a few months!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Inn. We found it to be beautiful, clean, and well maintained. We were treated wonderfully by Jason and Kate......always available to help in any way......and Jason is an excellent cook......breakfast was incredible!! We loved our time at the Inn and look forward to another visit.

Tommy and Bennette Ash

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

It was such a pleasure to have you and your husband join us for a few nights, Bennette. We're so happy to hear that you two enjoyed your visit. We always aim to make our guests feel like old friends, even if we've just met, so we're glad you felt so welcome. Anytime you're looking to escape into luxury and peace, we'll be here. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

My wife & I celebrated her 60th birthday at this beautiful Inn. Our room was beautiful a great view from our deck. The evening appetizers & wine were delicious & the morning breakfast was incredible. Jason, Kate. & Wendy made this a perfect weekend we cannot wait to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We were honored to be a part of your wife's very special 60th birthday celebration, and it's wonderful to hear how nice of a time you two had. We'd love to see you again for another night of wine and breakfast the next morning. Come back soon!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Half Mile Farm to celebrate my husband's birthday. We could not have been more pleased with our experience. It is a charming inn in the country, very quiet and peaceful. The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. The staff, especially Jason, is excellent. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and we hope to come back many more times.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review! It's wonderful to hear how much you and your husband enjoyed your visit. We're happy that we could make his birthday a little more special. Jason will be delighted by the compliment, so I will make sure he sees this. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2013

The Inn at Half Mile Farm continues to lavish its guests (new and returning) with understated luxurious warm hospitality. My wife and I recently stayed and were fortunate enough to enjoy a fabulous wine dinner as part of the weekend package. Dinner and the weekend stay was as enjoyable as sipping a great wine by the fire with friends. And indeed that was certainly a part of the weekend. As returning guests through the years we continue to make IHMF our go to mountain destination for relaxation, renewal and fond memories. Kate, Wendy, Carol and Jason create a wonderful environment for their guests which lack for nothing the entire time you are there. Breakfast’s, evening hors d’ouevers dinner’s (when offered) are fit for foodies and compliment well the fine fare available in Highlands along with the fun shops and adventure near at hand in the surrounding mountains. Another great stay at a Highlands gem.

Room Tip: We have been fortunate enough to visit the Inn a number of times over many years, there is not a bad...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreqGATraveler
Kate M, Owner at Half-Mile Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you so much for the incredibly kind review. "understated luxurious warm hospitality" — I couldn't have said it better myself! It means the world to us to hear how much you and your wife have enjoyed visiting us through the years. And rest assured, the feeling is mutual. Please do visit us again soon.

Regards,