“Exceeded my expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Danville, Virginia
“Exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I am not one's typical Bed And Breakfast guy. My introduction to the proposition was several years ago in Nantucket, and I was in no particular rush to repeat the experience. I am also not one's typical mountain man. See where this is going? The Inn at Half Mile Farm will make a believer of even the the most hardened resort loving flatlander! After a brief encounter with the wrong room, all was right with the world. Vivian, Katie, Carol and Jason are nothing less than stellar! As we were the only couple at Thursday night's wine and appetizer event we had the opportunity to chat at length with Jason. After learning we had the Red Sox in common, I knew it would be a good week end.

The Breakfasts were gourmet--Eggs Benedict, Blueberry Pancakes, Cheese Grits, Schnitzel, Sausages----yummy! The room was spacious and very close to the open-24/7- common area where coffee, cookies, hors d'oeuvres, and wine were available according to the time of day.
The common area is a real asset , as it is a pre dinner gathering place for couples. We had conversations with total strangers with whom we had much in common and it added to the warmth of the venue.
The Inn is a short jaunt from town and in a beautiful setting, even in fog and rain.The staff was excellent and tended to all our needs. Housekeeping must have gotten training from Santa Claus, as they were in and out while we were having breakfast!

Whether one wishes for a quiet retreat from the city, a base for shopping in the area ,or hiking and enjoying the beauty of the mountains, it's all here at the Inn at Half Mile Farm!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seward A
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
I'm blown away by your outstanding recommendation! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your trip in such great detail. While of course I enjoyed your compliments to our facility and staff, I appreciate you mentioning the connections you made with other guests most of all. We consider ourselves one big happy family, so it's great to hear you felt right at home during your stay!

Until next time,
Kate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I always enjoy our stays at the Inn. Their attention to detail and their gourmet breakfasts are always a pleasant surprise no matter how many times we have stayed here. The rooms are comfortable and relaxing and the home made cookies in the sitting room makes your stay even more cozy as you sit around the fireplace. This is a wonderful property and the staff is always friendly and accommodating.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
This is just what we like to hear! Thanks for taking the time to write us such a wonderful recommendation. It's always a pleasure to have you and your wife here at the inn, and we can't wait to have you back again soon!

'Til then,
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to get away for a long weekend in late October. A perfect time to view the colors as the leaves changed in the NC mountains. As we drove into property at the Inn at Half Mile Farm I was concerned that we may have booked a property that was not what I was expecting. How wrong I was. We were met in the lobby by Vivian and immediately my opinion changed. This Inn (B&B) was/is rustic but spectacular. We were directed to our room, complete with a fireplace and private balcony.

The breakfasts that were provided were beyond belief. The first mornig was pork snitzel, fried eggs and yams. Day two was a Mimosa, and caramel, apple french toast. Day three was fresh fruit and fritatas. All of course low fat and calorie free.

In the evenings the complemetary wine and refreshments in the main building provided a great opportunity to meet new freinds and share stories.

We will definately return to this property again. For a wonderful and relaxing weekend this B&B cannot be beat.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you so much for this thoughtful recommendation! I'm delighted to hear our inn exceeded your expectations, and I'm even more delighted to hear you plan on coming back next time you need a getaway. I'll make sure Vivian sees your compliments!

Until next time,
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited for an anniversary getaway. We were fortunate enough to get the last room they had available with little notice. Things couldn't have been better when we arrived. Driving up to the farm was beautiful. The driveway is long and winding with a great view of an apple orchard and the pond that the farm sits on. It was at about dusk and the whole vista was right out of a movie. But it got better - we arrived at happy hour that had wine and appetizers in the main room of the farm house next to the roaring fire. Yeah...perfect.

The room we got was in the main house (Linville Falls 4 I think) and did not have a tub but was still cozy. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the room was all that we needed. But it was all of the other extras that made this an awesome experience - the friendly staff, the savory breakfast, the cookies that were always available, the smell of bacon, the wraparound porch with views of the lake, the rocking chairs on the porch, the complimentary snacks/sodas/coffee, the roaring fire, the slightly creaky wooden floors, etc.

At first we were unsure of not staying RIGHT in the town of Highlands. After our two days we are sold and could not imagine having stayed in town. The 4-5 minute drive from the Farm to the town for dinners/shopping was not an inconvenience and we appreciated being in the "country" and the farm setting.

We will be back and are considering trying to get a group of friends to go. Thanks to all of the staff. You made it feel like home.

Room Tip: Book early and Room 4 in the Farm House only has a shower, no tub. However, even being in the Farm H...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
It's great to hear you appreciate our country setting just as much as we do, Garry! Thank you so much for celebrating your anniversary with us. It is a special place... it's like being in the middle of nowhere, but just minutes from everywhere! We would absolutely love to have you back with your friends; just let us know when you're thinking about coming!

Thanks again,
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Unreal experience. From the minute we arrived at the Inn, we were amazed. The staff (Jason, Carol, & Vivian) were truly amazing and made us feel like friends from the moment we met them. We stayed in Room 1, which we learned was the original master bedroom. The view from the room is unreal, two large ponds, huge Pines/Hardwoods, beautifuly kept large lawn, I could go on and on. Bottom line, you will NOT be disapointed. I booked the same room a full year in advance for next year and my wife and I both are counting the days. If you're looking for a great mountain get away that's a five minute drive into town, look no further!

Room Tip: Room #1 is IT. Secluded, corner bedroom with great panoramic views and excellent bed/bathroom. Jette...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate M, Innkeeper at Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
A perfect review for a perfect anniversary retreat! Thank you so much for this thoughtful recommendation, Jason. Carol, and Vivan will be thrilled with your compliments!

Until next year,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stay two nights in late October and we will definitely return. We were greeted by Vivian and an assortment of wonderful cookies!! Vivian was wonderful and very informative. The Wine Time was great..a roaring fire, great wine and very friendly people. Our room was cozy and the fireplace made it perfect! Breakfast as very special and memorable. We loved the grounds and it is only a few minutes to downtown Highlands. Perfect location. I must mention that the turn-down service at night was very nice. We would leave for wine time and by the time we returned to the room it had been refreshed. They were very efficient! We loved our stay here, it was the perfect ending to a great trip. The entire staff at this facility was wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21..It was very cozy. Apparently it is one of the smaller rooms but we found it v...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We like for our guests to feel right at home, so it's great to hear our turn-down service was a highlight for you! I appreciate you mentioning that almost as much as I appreciate you taking the time to write us a recommendation. We'd love to see you again next time you're in North Carolina!

Best,
Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to North Carolina for the fall leaves. We stayed in the Justice Cabin. This cabin is falling apart. They need to retire it. Wood burning fireplace was falling apart. The Gass Burning Fireplace up stairs didn't work. Lights didn't work in driveway and Back door of cabin. Glass broken in Cabnets. No curtains down stairs. Closet was down stairs bedroom up stairs. Light above shower coming out of ceiling.
The bathroom was up stairs and the sink was in middle of bedroom? Every body was very nice. But not very helpful in getting things fixed. Beautiful grounds. The cabin was to rustic for me. I'm a four star to five star hotel goer and this was more of a one star place with a two star staff. I feel if their going to charge $300 to over $400 with taxes a night. Then I should have the accommodations that are up to the standards of the price you pay. Made reservations from web page. First time their.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm sorry to hear the Justice Cabin wasn't to your liking! Maintaining the rustic charm we're known for while keeping our rooms in tip-top shape is our No. 1 priority, so I appreciate your honest feedback. I'm confident your suggestions will be put to good use very soon!

Best,
Kate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
#1 of 7 in Highlands
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews

Been to Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality? Share your experiences!