“Terrible service and accommodations, please beware”

Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
“Terrible service and accommodations, please beware”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

The cabin and area were nice but the amenities and customer service were completely atrocious.

Promise to but:
-did not send email confirmation
-did not provide a working jacuzzi/hot tub
-and most importantly did not provide hot water (it was freezing out).

We ask to be moved to a different cabin because of no hot water, but the manager was not friendly and cooperative. We decided to go to a hotel after they couldn't fix the problem 6 hours after checking in. Skyline would not reply when we try to get our deposit or part of it back due to the terrible service.

Most horrible experience we have ever had anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Thinslicer
paulsidney, General Manager at Skyline Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 June 2015
---one of our guests wrote ;
"Our stay at Skyline was most relaxing and enjoyable. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. As for the negative reviews listed on trip advisor, well these people are obviously looking for a chain near a retail store and NOT the character, charm, or history Skyline Lodge offers! We have stayed in a lot of famous places and none felt as much like home as Skyline! We are so looking forward to our next visit! "

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Atlanta
Reviewed 17 October 2012

My girlfriend and I needed a break from the stress of our jobs and decided to take a quick trip to Highlands. I had never been but she said it was pretty and the downtown area was nice, and she was right. Like almost everyone else we looked at places online and we liked what we saw on the Skyline website. What we were looking for was something quiet with mountain views and a comfortable room. We didn't expect a Ritz Carlton. Our room was clean and had the feel of a mountain log cabin. There was a balcony (with only one rocking chair wehich we thought was odd) and with the leaves starting to change color it was a great place to sit out and enjoy a bottle of wine. It was a little chilly outside but our room was nice and warm with heat in the ceiling radiating down. It was different but effective.

The people at Skyline Lodge were very nice. Even in the restaurant they were interested to know where we were from and if we were enjoying our stay.

We will definitely be back.

*One side note - the food at the restaurant was great! We didn't have a reservation for dinner and although the place was not completely full we were asked by the hostess to wait so she could see if they could fit us in. My guess is she went back to the kitchen to ask if they could handle another party of 2. At 7p at night I would hope so! The service was very slow but we were on vacation so we weren't completely upset by that. Just know what to expect when you go.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Duncan, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I decided to take a trip to Highlands, NC and spend just one night. We looked at several places online but, did not book anything. We arrived in the afternoon and were told there were two rooms available and were givin keys to both to look at before deciding. One of the rooms did not have air conditioning so we decided on the other. Our room was clean and had probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in!! The room was not the most modern and up to date but that was ok with us. The only thing I saw that I did not like was that for some reason the towel bars in the bathroom had surface rust on them. The restaurant is way too expensive! It was nice and the food was good but, next time we will eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: If it will be hot make sure your room has AC!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill P
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I was looking forward for a Labor Day get-a-way from Atlanta with our three small dogs. Our dogs are cleaner and more well behaved than most kids I see now days. She called to make reservations and yes they take pets and do not charge extra for pets. Looked wonderful and affordable on the internet so she made the reservations for Aug. 31, Sept. 1 & 2 2012. We drove up from Atlanta and told them we would be getting in late so they left the key in the knight box for us. We arrived about 10:30 pm. When I found and walked into the room, the stench was terrible. I left the door open and turned on the air to help get the odor out while I unloaded the car. My wife walked in and said this is awful! Smells like cat urine . The furniture looked like it had not been upgraded since the 1960's. The dust on all of it was so thick you could rake it off with your finger. My wife has allergies and it hit her almost immediate. I walk in the bathroom and my god the toilet was filthy. Ficus matter stuck to it, so we knew no one had bother cleaning it in weeks. The bath tub drain, shower curtain rod and towel hanger was rusty when you moved the curtain or towels. There was no one to call (No phone in the room). I went to the front office and they were closed up tight and no number you could call. No phone service on our cell's. This place is up on a mountain in the middle of nowhere. I walked across the carpet floor barefooted and it was sticky! So I told my wife to make sure to wear her slippers. The headboard of our bead was made out of look like grapevines. Neat but was very dirty. The sheets did look ok so we did stay the night, since there was no where else to stay that late. The next day when the office opened at 9am. We went to complain and they acted they could care less. They did not offer to go re clean the room, offer us another room, anything. All they said was we are sorry and we will let house keeping know. When I mention the sticky floor the guy said (it must be wet from cleaning it a couple of weeks ago). It does not take two weeks for carpet to dry if done properly. So I thought ok you don't care about your guest no more than that, then the hell with you, so I told them to credit our card for the other two nights we had paid for and without saying a word they did. We left and found another place in Highland, NC. The Chandler Inn. A little too pricey but at least it was clean with a very friendly couple that run it. I don't know what the other rooms look like for guest without pets at the Skyline. But the old saying (So Bad I would not let my dog stay) This was the place! Wont be back as long as it is owned by the current owners or under the same management.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Terry D
SkylineLodge, Front Office Manager at Skyline Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with your stay. We try our best to react quickly and be responsive in our guests' requests, however I see that this did not happen in your case. I was not made aware of your situation and had I been told, you would have been taken care of immediately. We do have an emergency phone placed in the box with an after hours phone number and I would have responded quickly to any requests or concerns you may have had even at 10:30pm. I do apologize for the non-communication from our staff and the bad experience you had. We are constantly making improvements based on our customer's feedback and I will make sure to make corrections to ensure this does not happen again. We really do appreciate your business and if there is anything we can do in the future please let me know.

Travellers are raving about these Highlands hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Their online site ad looks nice and located up in the mountains. They are up in the mountains, it was very old and worn, it is poorly managed. They were to deliver hot rolls to each guest room in the mornings...never arrived(this is because the restaurant was closed.) . Restaurant was only open for dinner on weekend, which they never told us when we called to make the reservations.

We wasted our money, not the wonderful stay we hoped. The good reviews must have been a long time ago.

Sue S. 2012

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue S
I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with your stay. We try our best to react quickly and be responsive in our guests' requests, however I see that this did not happen in your case. It was recently brought to my attention that some of our advertisements were not completely updated and the restaurant information was one of these. I sincerely apologize that you were not made aware of the restaurant hours at check in. I have corrected this issue and all guests are aware of our restaurant hours. We do try to provide our guests with a breakfast basket that includes muffins, juice, and fresh fruit on Mondays-Fridays since we do not offer breakfast in our restaurant those days. If you did not receive this, then that was a major staff oversight and I apologize. I was not made aware of your situation and had I been told, you would have been taken care of immediately. We are constantly making improvements based on our customer's feedback and I will make sure to make corrections to ensure this does not happen again. We really do appreciate your business and if there is anything we can do in the future please let me know.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We checked in at the Skyline this past weekend and were given keys to an Eagles Nest room, which looked fabulous online. On this 100 degree day, the windows were open, presumably to try and mask the mildew smell, and AC was off. As we stepped in, I crunched a beetle underfoot and began looking closer. The carpet was not vacuumed, ancient and filthy, as was the bedding. Mirror wasn't even cleaned in the bathroom, etc. But when I saw the BLACK MOLD on the ceiling, I'd seen enough. We asked for a refund, but staff wanted to show us a different room, which turned out to be just as dated (70's) and almost as dirty. I mentioned to the innkeeper that we'd stayed in 200 year old inns that were spotless. Age is no excuse for lack of maintenance. They obviously paid some good money for the website design. We'll be sure to let all our friends know not to waste their time checking it out.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tyler J
I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience with your stay. We try our best to react quickly and be responsive in our guests' requests, I apologize this did not happen in your case. We now are fully staffed to take care of the housekeeping issues and updating our rooms to provide the very best of quality for our customer's. The issues you mentioned have been taken care of, we have since made changes in the rooms cleanliness and aesthetics. Although, this is no excuse for the issues you discussed in your review. We really do appreciate your business!!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We had a wonderful experience at the Skyline Lodge. Would much rather stay up in the mountains at the Skyline than any of the hotels in downtown Highlands--well worth the 3 mile drive off Main Street. The staff was great, delicious food & beautiful views.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue Marie B
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay!! We really appreciate your business and are constantly making improvements!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#4 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Skyline Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!