“Fabulous Place and Service”

Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Portland, OR
“Fabulous Place and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

My wife and I were in Highlands to memorialize my mother and we chose Skyline Lodge for price and location, based on the service. Our room and the service was top-notch and all of the staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. Even the owner/manager was involved in our service experience and made us feel as though we were exptended family. I would give this hotel the highest recommendation to anyone traveling in the area and I promise you that it will not disappoint. It is an exceptional value for the cost and by far the best hotel in Hgihlands, especially for the cost.

• Liked — The location and customer service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Taylors
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

Having been home 2+ weeks I am still reflecting on our overnight. When one is still reflecting POSITIVELY and feeling warmed, hugged, energized from the experience, it is obvious the sojourn was outstanding. Outstanding it was. The sharing of poetic and musical talents with us made our trip so rewarding. Please note our dining experience exploded with flavors and seduced us with delectable scents, as well the menu offering we chose could NOT have been improved upon; however, we do know, the dining experience was fully enhanced by our service and the special characters/natures of the staff at the Skyline Lodge & Restaurant. We had a grand adventure. We will be back. That IS a certainty. Yes, I would recommend it highly and already have in fact to to other couples who will join us when we return once again to that wonderful place.

• Liked — All staff went way beyond the norm and it was a genuine delight.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2006

If you like staying in a musty smelling, terribly decorated room, then this is your place. When we arrived, all the windows were open & it was freezing in the room. They moved us to another room and it was no better.

I have never been so disappointed. I could not even enjoy my meal downtown the 1st night for thinking about having to sleep here. Everything appears to be so outdated.

The only thing nice I can say about this place is that their employees seem to be very courteous, especially the 2 ladies at the front desk. We had booked a 2-night stay, which is their minimum, and after expressing our disappointment, they did not charge us for the 2nd night. The front desk clerk told us that it had rained more than usual over the last month, causing the musty smell, and they had had numerous complaints. She also told us that apparently we were not "outdoors people"??????

There is absolutely no way I would recommend this place to anyone unless a major renovation takes place.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank IDONTBELIEVETHIS
marysidney, General Manager at Skyline Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 August 2008
Skyline Lodge & Restaurant is nestled in a natural rain forest and was built in 1929. The aged granite and timber adds to the natural beauty of the main lodge. Thousands of guests visit us each year and delight in the setting, friendliness of staff and cleanliness of our property. We invite you to return - your satisfaction is our primary concern.

Travellers are raving about these Highlands hotels

Chamblee, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2006

First a few words about Highlands, NC. It has been a very high-cost vacation area for many decades. The truly rich and the very wealthy have disported themselves in the area since the 19th Century. This is where the well-to-do send their families to escape the summer heat and humidity in the low country. Everything is expensive there. The town of Highlands is not for vacationers on a tight budget – simply put it’s a tourist trap, with high-priced ladies’ boutiques packed cheek-by-jowl all along the main drag. My wife and I have been to Highlands many times and I can assure you that there literally is NOTHING there for the guys, except for the very well stocked Ace Hardware store. There are the usual outdoor activities in the area – hiking, fishing, etc., but there are much cheaper places to stay elsewhere than in Highlands itself.

The Skyline Lodge is about 3 miles north of the town, is located on top of the aptly-named, 4300’ high Flat Mountain, and is surrounded by 50 acres of old-growth conifers and hardwoods. Howard Randall developed the concept for the lodge and the design has been attributed to Arthur Kelsey, who was influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. The lodge is built of large grey stone slabs and Redwood. Construction for the lodge began in 1929, but only one wing and the restaurant were completed before the stock market crash and the Great Depression stopped everything. Howard Randall died shortly after and the lodge was left to the builder, Jack Wilcox, in lieu of payment for the finished work.

The lodge remained abandoned for the next 35 years and fell into disrepair. During that period local vandals burned down part of the original wing. In 1965 a group of investors bought the remains and started a major project to repair the existing buildings and to complete the original design. The lodge has passed through a succession of owners, each of whom has added upgrades and additional amenities to the original design.

Another TripAdvisor member mentioned that their room was not air-conditioned. This is true – the original wing, the Frank Lloyd Wright wing, is NOT air-conditioned. Back in 1929, air-conditioning was pretty rare anywhere in the USA, and unheard of in the North Carolina mountains. Other rooms in the lodge are air-conditioned; however, you must request an air-conditioned room to ensure that you get one. I assume that the original wing has been left un-conditioned for nostalgia’s sake. These rooms do feature fully-functioning fireplaces, which might be the only source of heat.

Our room was in the Eagle’s Nest with a mountain view – there was a mountain out there somewhere, but trees had grown up to block the view. No matter, we didn’t spend much time in the room and we did appreciate the air-conditioner. We paid $138.00 per night, which is not bad at all for the area. As far as I know, none of the rooms include hair dryers, microwaves, refrigerators, ironing boards, and the like. There are cabins for rent on the property which may include those amenities.

The restaurant, like the others in the area, is pricey. At dinner I had Long Island Roast Duckling (I’ll bet it was North Carolina duckling, but I can’t prove it) and my wife had some sort of jumbo shrimp thing. The food was good – not great. Our bill, without wine or coffee was right at $65.00, which included a mandatory 20% tip. My wife and I were up there with the Atlanta Alfa-Romeo Owners Club; there were 14 of us at dinner; and we requested separate checks, which was the reason for the mandatory tip. If you want to save money on food, take a cooler with snacks, breakfast, and lunch fixings.

By the way, there is a grocery store in Highlands (I can't remember the name) that has a huge selection of wines, all the usual groceries you would ever need, and the best fresh-made sandwiches and baked goods you’ll ever eat, and all reasonably-priced, too.

All-in-all, I was pleased with the lodge and I would stay there again, maybe for a two-nighter maximum. One doesn’t stay at the Skyline Lodge just for the room or the usual bells and whistles. One stays there for the experience.

• Liked — The Frank Lloyd design and construction style.
  • Disliked — Some rooms are not air-conditioned.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be sure to ask for an air-conditioned room if you want one.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joe D
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2006

I do not recommend Skyline Lodge. My family recently book two rooms at Skyline Lodge and we were expecting GREAT things....going by the website. However, when we arrived we were shocked by the facility! The rooms were ancient looking and the facility offers NO air conditioning in the rooms! The pool appeared dirty and old. My family actually ended up leaving Skyline Lodge and stayed somewhere else Highlands, NC. If you're looking for a luxurious place or even a nice place to stay....I advise that you look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
marysidney, Mary Sidney General Manager at Skyline Lodge and Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 August 2008
Skyline Lodge & Restaurant has had air conditioning for the past three years in the Eagles Nest Wing and the Skyline Wing - the Frank Lloyd Wright Wing is nestled in the shade of beautiful tall whispering pines and air conditioniong is not necessary. Many of our rooms have fireplaces as well as radiant heat and heaters to help with the chill in the cooler months.
Daytona Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2006

We've been through Highlands many times & found our way out Flat Mountain road. The front desk was very helpful & showed us around the property. They had much to offer - pool, tennis, local hiking etc. The typical Highlands stuff. The main building (near the restaurant) is incredible!! 2 huge granite firsplaces & lots of comfy seats. The view from the restaurant is amazing & I wish we'd had dinner there. We decided to spend a night & had a room we could hear a waterfall from. The furniture was beautiful - and our room had a miniature version of the main fireplace in it! The tavern was awesome! We'll be back!!

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank BMWMotogirl
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2005

I cannot believe this place. We have been vacationing in Highlands, NC for years and have always stayed at one of the hotels down town. This year that hotel was closed for renovation so we tried Skyline. I'll never stay anywhere else again.

To start with the hotel is an old historic stone and wood Frank Lloyd Wright style building. I could just feel the history all around me. The big stone fireplace in the lobby are wonderful. The general manager took us on a tour of the whole place showing us the cabins (actually huge brand new houses and the suites as well as the conference center/ excercise facility.) Then when we got back to the front desk his wife told us all about the history of the hotel. They both were really charming people.

Actually all the staff were exceptionally friendly from the house keeper who has been there for over 15 years to the chef who came out and met every one at the end of the evening.

Oh, what a meal, the presentation was exquisite, and the taste out of this world and they serve wine and liquor. Only one other real real expensive place in Highlands can sell liquor.

We sat out on the private balcony on the backside of our room and watched the sunset in gorgeous oranges, pinks and purples over the mountains and listened to the birds every evening before we went to dinner.

You can't do that at the other hotels down town. Something else you can't get down town they have atrail to two beautiful water falls right on their property and we found out on our last day there the lake ate the front of their property is theirs and we could borrow fishing poles from them and fish. But we had to go home we had already exteneded our stay an extra 3 days. They had a really great deal for weekdays.

We can't wait to go back, in fact my husband made reservations for us to go back in September while he was checking out. Definately I recommend Skyline Lodge.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
#1 of 7 in Highlands
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,146 reviews

Been to Skyline Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!