“Pleasant surprise”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I had a lovely dinner at Rustico. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Highlands, and it seems my husband and I always gravitate to the same ones each summer. Rustico has not been on that list and I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the online reviews but we had a very pleasant experience.

First of all, let me say that the service was consistent and very good. Our server, Jim, made some good wine suggestions which panned out to be excellent.He greeted us immediately, was outgoing and personable. He had excellent suggestions for wine which we ordered and were quite pleased with the outcome. When asked, he made recommendations from the menu as well. My husband ordered the Bolognese which he felt was outstanding. I had a very tasty chicken with prosciutto dish with a nice demi-glaze sauce. In addition, we both ordered salads. My husband tried the ugly tomato salad which he thoroughly enjoyed and I enjoyed a first rate the arugula-beet salad. The only tiny flaw that I can recall is that our server was not very knowledgeable about the mushroom soup which was a special on that evening.

Once again, after reading some of the online reviews I was hesitant since some others had had concerns about the service, but I can say that our service was first rate. Other servers stopped by to ask if we needed anything and a very pleasant young lady brought bread and went out of her way to be accommodating. Plates were cleared quickly and efficiently, yet we were not rushed.

The atmosphere is casual and although were not seated on the porch (which I suppose many prefer) we enjoyed the atmosphere of the "log cabin" feel in the main areas. We will be back!!

2  Thank gbogan

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Rustico was recommended to me by my uncle who has a home in Highlands. He says it's his favorite place. I can see why. The food was excellent and the service/staff very friendly. I had the Seafood Risotto and it was amazing.

3  Thank whalewatchergirl
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This was our second visit to Rustico this year. The food was as good as it was the first time. Our main waitress was great! The support staff had some problems, taking away our bread before we were finished (without asking), filling sprite glasses with water, almost filling Coke glasses with ice tea, etc.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Garlic dipping sauce for the homemade bread had us almost not eating the meal. However the food was just as wonderful. Service excellent and friendly

1  Thank Peggy Y
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Rustico is a charming restaurant with an owner who not only seats you but comes back to make sure you are being well taken care of. From the Date Siciliane to the Tiramisu we thought we were back in Italy. Everything was delicious. We have been to Italy many times and found this menu to be comparable to what we've seen over there - a little beyond the ordinary!
Who would think you would find such quality and excellent service in a small Italian Restaurant in the NC mountains? Rustico and Highlands make a great combination.

2  Thank Doug H