“Exactly what I needed!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Exactly what I needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

After a very difficult year personally, I was looking for a place to relax, read and be pampered. If I could, I would go to Old Edwards Inn and Spa on a monthly basis! It's been a long time since I travel via air and rental car alone and I took more into consideration in planning this trip. Although I could book online, after seeing comments about the helpfulness of the reservation staff, I called for help in choosing which room would suit me. As I was traveling alone and was new to North Carolina, I wanted to be in the main Inn building. Julie was very helpful as I decided which of the less expensive rooms would serve my needs. I flew into Asheville, rented a car and drove the 1.5 hrs. to Highlands. If you've never been on this drive, I would not recommend it after dark. Not only do you miss beautiful scenery but a good deal of the way is a very curvy road reminiscent of the "road to Hana" in Maui. I don't know if Julie was responsible or if the Inn was very quiet, but upon my arrival, I was shown to a higher priced room (at the reserved rate) which was a wonderful way to start my trip. Staff were quickly available as I tried to figure out "Direct TV" usage, a place to eat that met my mood, or just the lovely turn down service, complete with fresh ice. I spent a good deal of time in different locations in the building reading, particularly enjoying in the library in front of the fire and in the spa on the excellent plush loungers with an afghan and the sound of a waterfall. I had the "Healthy Transformation" spa package which had me spending the entire day at the spa with a hour of relaxation between services and lunch in front of the fireplace. It is the epitome of luxury. I was looking for somewhere to eat and although Madison's, the fine restaurant on premises, was suggested after 7 hours in a spa, I was not looking for a 4 star dinner occasion and staff were able to make other suggestions that suited me perfectly. Following this long day, a freshly grilled pita tuna melt with fresh potato salad on the side from the Mountain Market, couple streets down, was ideal. The butler's pantry has cold soda, water bottles, fruit and Dove ice cream bars, which all complimented my light dinner nicely. Complimentary Dove ice cream bars are dangerous and delicious! I was at the Inn 5 nights. On the day I was leaving, there'd been an ice storm and management were quite concerned about me. They relaxed a little when I told them I was from Chicago and knew about driving in foul weather. One of the young men took care of my car which was encased in ice. I was assured that they had people to assist me at any point between Highlands and Asheville Airport and they requested I call to advise when I was safely at my destination. They even sent me off with a care package of fruit and water. It took more than the 2 hours we anticipated and when I arrived home, there was a phone message at home asking for confirmation of my safe return. In the meantime, I had called from the airport so all was well. This was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. It was a quiet time to be there and some businesses are closed in late January, when I was there, but it suited me perfectly.

Room Tip: I had a front corner room on the second floor, although the rear entrance, coming back from the spa...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Smagacz
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Smagacz, we were all so very touched by your review--or more accurately, your story--that you wrote on TripAdvisor. Thank you for posting it, and we sooooo loved sharing it with our staff to show how much of a positive difference they can make in someone's life right when they really need it. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again. Until then, we are all wishing you well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

My husband and I just returned from staying at the inn and dining in Madison's for dinner and breakfast. From the minute we entered the Inn until we left, we felt as though we had entered the set of Dowton Abbey and we were The Lord and Lady. The staff is incredibly friendly, welcoming and eager to make your stay something to always remember. The room was beautiful and the fresh rose and cookies in our room were just the beginning of all the special touches awaiting us during our stay. We are already planning a return visit and will highly recommend Old Edwards to our friends!

Room Tip: Room 17 over looks the Wine Garden and is a nice size. I did not rate the spa as we did not use the...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fred C, your review was charming, loved the reference to Dowton Abbey. Thank you for staying with us and for posting such a nice review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Wow, where to start? I got the Winter Sneak Away package which essentially has you pay for a two night stay and a classic massage for two, and then gives a free dinner for two at Madison's. This was a surprise Valentine's weekend trip for my wife.

We arrived the first day and got checked in. The front desk showed us the map of the property and where everything was. They offered to valet my car to the lodge where our room was and bring our bags in. We were met at the room by the valet/bell hop to show us the room and everything we needed to know, including how to work the DirecTV and the all famous heated floors and towel rack in the bathroom.

The room was beautiful, and very large. The bathroom was huge, including a giant tub and separate shower. As other reviewers have mentioned, some rooms have a small kitchen area with a fridge stocked with complementary soda and water. We also had a Keurig machine with various K cups. We also found two complementary fresh baked (presumed) cookies. Outside the room was a semi-private lobby for the four rooms in that lodge with chairs and a fireplace. We had a private patio with direct access from our room, and there was a semi-public patio with a fireplace outside the lobby. Overall the room was incredible.

The entire facility is big and includes many buildings, most within walking distance. I utilized the fitness room which had some of the most state of the art equipment. I'm a treadmill user and each one had it's own DirecTV receiver and remote. They offer complementary classes every day, including yoga, spinning, and even trips that can take you off facility such as hikes.

We also of course used the spa. This was my first massage ever. I found it ok, but not something I'd want to buy for myself in the future. My wife has had massages and can therefore have some perspective and comparison. She said the massage was great and on par with others she's had in the past. The price also seemed to be on par with other massage places you can go to around your home. I would be happy to have her go again, and I know she'd want to. This massage was our only experience in their spa facility. We didn't utilize anything else.

They have completed the transformation of their pool to an indoor pool in the winter. It basically had a giant sealed tent cover around it. We went in to look at it and had full intentions to use it but ran out of time during our two day stay. Wish we had tried it as it seemed really neat with the outside pavement and garden plants still there, just covered. Plus the water was actually warm.

The staff were fantastic. They always greeted us warmly when we walked by or approached them. Several times they went out of their way to help us when we asked for something. They always make you feel at home and treat you as if you were long time friends.

There was so much available for us at this resort that we never took advantage of, I'll have to make sure to return soon to take in everything I missed. I can see benefits of staying here in any season, and would like to experience it year round. I can't recommended this place enough. This area is not a high touristy place you'd expect to find a nice resort. It really is a hidden gem as others have pointed out. One of my best Valentine's trips ever.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lancerevo13, we love hearing that you had one of your best Valentine's trips ever at Old Edwards Inn and Spa! Thank you so much for your glowing review of our resort, and especially for noticing our staff. People really do make the difference, don't they? We look forward to hosting you again sometime soon. Until then, warm regards.
Long Branch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I have stayed at the Inn on Biltmore Estate in Ashville five times and have stayed here at the Old Edwards Inn four times. By far the Old Edwards Inn is a great value in price, room size and decoration, services available and they remember your name during your stay. You can stay at OEI and take a day trip to Ashville. Very nice, quite, relaxing and wonderful people. Had dinner my last night in Madison's and cleaned my plate. Excellent!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi JeepFun1. What nice review. We are fortunate to have you as a loyal guest and look forward to future visits from you.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Having been to this inn on many occasions to dine, sit in their wine bar or have a spa day, this was the first time however actually staying at the Inn. My husband surprised me for Valentine's Day with a relaxing overnight and dinner at their restaurant called Madison's. We thoroughly enjoyed our time inside, in fact we never left the building, since it was a winter wonderland outside. Our room had all the finer points and was completely charming and cozy.

Our drinks at the Hummingbird Lounge by the fire were a great way to start our romantic evening before our delicious dinner at Madison's restaurant. In the morning we had breakfast at Madison's which was delicious! then went to a spin class at their fitness center to work off all of our meals.

We will be back and highly recommend this gem in the mountains! The service was top notch throughout our stay and total experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ATLAdventure2010, Thank you for spending your Valentine's Day with us (and to your husband for surprising you with a visit:-) I hope it was the first of many to come. Highlands offers many more romantic experiences in the warmer months, including beautiful hikes to places like Sunset Rock. We look forward to hosting you again soon. Warm Regards.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

We are from Atlanta so we have been coming to Highlands/Cashiers for year. This is our first stay at Old Edwards but we have already made a return reservation for Spring! We know this area well but have always stayed in homes. Staying at the Old Edwards far exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend it any time of year. Even though the weather is foggy, rainy and cold, we are having a fabulous time in our cozy cottage, enjoying spa treatments, wine and amazing food!

If you have read any of my other reviews, you will see that I am extremely critical of everything from baseboards to grout, so to say that this hotel knocked it out of the park is saying a lot! As I said we are staying in The Cottages. These buildings are a street away from the main Lodge but you are still no more than a one block walk to the main street in Highlands and to the spa, hotel restaurant, etc. They have nightly events in the main lodge including tapas, wine, music, etc, so you will want to stop in to see what's going on each night around 6 pm. I'm not sure if this goes on during the week as we are here on a weekend.

Our check-in was seamless and we were truly surprised at the size and spaciousness of our room. There is a large living area with a nice fireplace, two oversized chairs with ottomans, and a couch. Soaring ceilings make the room feel particularly open. It is larger than a lot of one bedroom apartments, minus a kitchen. Just gorgeous!

The bathrooms have a 5 head shower, large dressing area, heated tile floors that you can adjust, towel warmers and a separate jetted tub. The closet is large with a stocked fridge and Keurig coffee maker.

The bedroom is very large and the bed was very comfortable with a feather topper.

From our cottage (Whiteside) there are no views (remember that you are in town, there are no views) but we do have a very nice screened balcony with ample space and two chairs which has been nice to sit on and watch the rain and read a book. All in all, you couldn't ask for a cozier room in the mountains. The cottages are beautiful on the outside as well. They are building 22 new cottages and are taking reservations for these for summer.

They have an enclosed pool for winter and in the summer they remove the enclosure and it becomes a regular outdoor pool. They have an upstairs terrace for drinks that is lovely with a fireplace and ample seating. The wine garden is not functional during the colder months but it looks charming and provides great people watching on Main Street. The staff is very friendly and helpful and can't do enough to accommodate your wishes.

Our spa experience was amazing and I had one of the best massages of my life from Adam. The spa area itself is gorgeous with a huge stone fireplace in the waiting area, a Serenity Room that is to die for, and you can order cocktails in these areas and/or food. The locker rooms are wonderful and the 14 head shower is fantastic. They have a wet and dry sauna, a chemical free hot tub in each locker room for privacy, and the staff makes sure you want for nothing! A must do if you are at Old Edwards. I could stay there all day and never leave!

Treat yourself to this slice of heaven for at least a weekend and enjoy one of the most relaxing, effortless, indulgent vacations you can imagine!

Room Tip: The Cottages and Spa Rooms seem to be the best choices but I believe The Cottages are more spacious.
1 Thank JBHAtlanta
JBHAtlanta, we are thrilled to learn that we have a new loyal guest from Atlanta. You are going to love Old Edwards when you return for the spring because our alfresco dining options will be open, as well as Old Edwards Club (if you enjoy golf or just want to try a different pool, tennis or dining experience). And if you return in summer, you can enjoy the new Falls Terrace amenities that you alluded to, including an additional outdoor heated mineral pool. Thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor. It is very thoughtful and well written.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Old Ewards Inn in December, the quietest time of the year, so our streetside room with the balcony that overlooked the Christmas lights on Main was perfect and quiet. The small but luxuriously decorated room ended up being quite comfortable for two nights. The bathroom was a nice size, which made it feel bigger, and it was the best shower of our trip. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I loved the heated bathroom tile floors. We ate the complimentary Dove Bars in the evenings from the pantry, and enjoyed the coffee in the mornings. We are hikers so we didn't spend much time in the hotel during the day and this was a perfect spot to clean up and lay our heads at night. We dined downstairs at Madison's one evening, which was very good. You definitely feel pampered at this elegant historic property. The service and attention at the Inn is outstanding. We would absolutely stay here again when in the Highlands.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building along Main Street, which might be a bit noisy in season. The regular...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thetravelingtigger
TheTravelingTigger, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, and to read that you would stay here again. On your next visit, consider one of the new Falls Cottages rooms or a Lodge Room for a more retreat-like experience. The rooms in the historic main inn are quaint and convenient to all that Main Street has to offer, including our own Madison's Restaurant and Hummingbird Lounge. But that is also what can raise the noise level a bit in that building. The new Falls Cottages, on the back of the property near Satulah Mountain, are available for booking now for stays beginning late June, and the lodge rooms can be booked for stays anytime. Thank you again for your positive comments on TripAdvisor. Warm Regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!