“Worth every penny”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Auburn, Alabama
“Worth every penny”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent two nights for a quick family vacation while taking our daughter to camp for the summer. The staff from top to bottom are professional and friendly. They made our stay exceptional. We have all been to establishments who say hello, etc while creating the impression they are simply going through the motions... this is not the case at the Old Edwards Inn. Even the housekeeping staff wishes you a good morning and conveys a genuine desire for your well being. The management of this hotel have nailed great customer service.

Breakfast (Madison)- a true bargain. Great food and top notch staff. My wife and I were discussing the perfect service at the Inn over breakfast, when I jokingly said, "My poached eggs were 10 seconds over cooked." The manager walked over and asked if I preferred my eggs with the yolks more runny. I'm not sure he heard me, but the desire for perfection is obvious.

The nightly rate is expensive by most hotel standards, but the accommodations and service make it a great value. You truly get what you pay for at this Inn.

Room Tip: The falls cottages were perfect for our family. Modern while keeping with the history of the inn.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Darrell L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Old world elegance at it's best. Romantic, inviting and relaxing. I fell in love with Old Edwards and the lush, green town of Highlands, NC. The staff was helpful and polite. They make you feel special!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife had stayed here on four separate occasions on business and would always rave about the experience. We finally got to spend a week at OEI together, and now I know why this is her favorite place. The staff is amazing - from Edourd at the front desk to Bill who waited on us at the pool and Juana who kept our room immaculate. We stayed at one of the new cottages. It looked over the pool and was divine. We played tennis, hiked and I even played 12 holes of golf. The golf course is amazing. Can't wait to return and spend lazy days doing what we love.

Room Tip: Every room from what I understand is excellent (my wife has stayed in every different kind offered...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friends and I recently did a mommy spa trip to Old Edwards Inn for my friend's birthday. We stayed Sunday to Monday and I wished it was longer! We arrived early that morning and our room wasn't ready but the front desk guy gave us an overview of the property with champagne. We had spa appointments so he told us to head over and he would move the car to our cottage and put the bags in the room. Did I mention he upgraded us! We went over to the spa and it, by far, was the best, most relaxing spa experience I've ever had. We used the whirlpool, steam room and sauna before we had lunch, which was also great (fantastic chicken salad) before we went to the quiet room before our service. I received a 50 minute massage and add on scrub which made it 70 minutes. The body scrub was perfect and not too hard and the massage was so relaxing. The spa is a bit pricey but the amenities are what you pay for. We were there for 4 hours! We finally arrived in the room and it was beautiful with a separate living area and huge bathroom with a claw foot tub and large shower. The floor was suppose to be heated but it wasn't working. The hotel management asked to move us but after seeing the other room we decided to stay and instead they gave us free breakfast. So on to the restaurant - fabulous! We had dinner and breakfast there and it was a great culinary experience. Overall, I will be returning to Old Edwards Inn because it's only a little over 2 hours from Atlanta, the customer service is top notch, the spa was exquisite and the food was fantastic. It's great for couples or friends. I just wish it was warmer so we could have tried the beautiful pool. Til next time!

Room Tip: The cottages are great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed all your experiences at Old Edwards and found the spa so relaxing. We are looking forward to hearing what you think about your experience when you can return in the warmer months and enjoy the outdoor heated mineral pools. Thank you so much for posting your positive review on TripAdvisor!
Warm Regards.
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was fortunate to experience Old Edwards in March for two nights. Not the best time to go.....or is it? There is an upside to being in a closed town. One is that the service is stupendous! It's not crowded and you feel so special. Not everything closes in town because people do live there year round. I stayed in one of the new cottages and it felt like it was my own home! My oh my, I did NOT want to leave!

As soon as I walked through the door, I knew I was in heaven! The rooms was decorated like someone's home, not a hotel. All the furnishings were very comfortable. The separate bedroom had the most comfortable bed, even if I did have to jump up into it! I slept like a baby! There was a TV in the living area above the gas fireplace, a patio off of this room that had a love seat, table and chair (all with comfortable cushions), a small wet bar with a Keurig, coffee and tea.

On the desk was a welcome duo of homemade cookies. On the bed each night was chocolates or cookies. The floors in the bathroom were heated and the claw-footed tub was separate from the huge walk-in shower, an extra large vanity with two sinks and plenty of space for storing personal items. Oh yeah, one of my favorite, must have items....a lighted magnifying mirror! There was also a large closet in the bathroom with a stool and other necessary items stored.

The food was over the top awesome. The chef is out of this world crazy about farm-to-table food and the quality of everything we had was outstanding! I cannot find enough adjectives to describe the food, the impeccable service from the moment I arrived, and the staff! Kudos to all of them!

I had a Spa visit and went right back to my cottage to take a nap, I felt like Jello it was so good!

I've been to many 5 star hotels, resorts and spas all over the world and find it hard to compare any to the Old Edwards Inn! I've measured everything I've seen since then against it and it's hard to get better when you've had the best!

I will return!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get one of the new cottages. It really is like having your own small apartmen...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review! We have forwarded your comments to our staff, and chef will be pleased that you noticed his fanatical commitment to sustainable cuisine, and the spa team will love that you melted into blissful slumber after your treatment. Highlands is increasingly becoming a year-round destination with shops and restaurants starting to remain open in winter. But you're right: there is a serenity about it when it's not the busy season. We do hope to see you back when you can take advantage of all the recreation and activities of summer in the NC mountains-- including our outdoor pools at Old Edwards. Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to your return!
Salem, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Old Edwards is really first class in every regard. Starting with accommodations on to the spa, the restaurant, wine garden and the folks who are so nice. Treatment is "world class" is every regard.
They have several off site venues for events too.

Room Tip: There isnt a bad one but there are choices so ask
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you were able to experience a lot of what Old Edwards has to offer, and we appreciate your mention of the world-class treatment. We have shared your comments with our staff. We look forward to hosting you again.
Asheville
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Some girlfriends and I went to Old Edwards in Highlands for a weekend of shopping and pampering and we weren't disappointed! The Old Edwards Inn is fabulous! When we checked in the staff called us by name and it seemed as if they were welcoming back old friends. We stayed in the Lodge Cottages and they were just lovely. We had our own screened in porch to enjoy cocktails in the evening. The bathroom floors are heated and they have Molton Brown products. The beds are fluffy and cozy. As we were leaving our cottage for dinner one evening it began to rain and one of the housekeeping staff saw us scurrying without umbrellas, she personally secured umbrellas for each of us and ensured we made it to Madison's as dry as possible! That was definitely beyond her immediate scope of responsibility and is just one example of the excellent customer service we received all weekend. I am so looking forward to my next trip to Old Edwards!

Room Tip: If you like a little extra privacy, the Lodge Cottages are an excellent choice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
What a lovely review! We are so glad you enjoyed your girlfriend getaway at Old Edwards. And thank you so much for mentioning our staff. We love to share comments with them that show their efforts are noticed and appreciated by our guests. We look forward to your next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
#5 of 7 in Highlands
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!