“Five Stays In Three Years - We Keep Going Back”

Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
St. Louis, Mo
“Five Stays In Three Years - We Keep Going Back”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We discovered this 'Perfect Place' in the spring of 2011 and now just can't stay away. 'Perfect' meaning both our beloved OEI and the elegant mountain town of Highlands. We've been in March, April and September but this was the first time we went in the Summer and I was a bit afraid that we would find it to be too crowded and therefore just not the same 'feel' of quietude and peace. I read somewhere that Highlands' full time population is around 3,000 and that may swell to around 18,000 during the summer. That's quite a 'swell'. But, while the streets were certainly more crowded with walking traffic and car traffic, it certainly was not terrible. And needless to say, the hotel saw more children (don't think we've ever seen children here before) which meant noisier atmosphere around the Falls pool but they went in every evening by maybe 8ish and we didn't hear another peep. So, all age groups could still have a fun and peaceful stay. Having said all that, I just don't think we'll return in the summer - just think we enjoy the spring and/or fall better but that's just maybe because that's when we were first introduced to this great place. Also, now that we've stayed in the new Falls Cottages twice, I'm sure we never want to stay anywhere else. They are just too wonderful. (We've stayed in about 3 different types of accomodations) . Madison's again was supreme for breakfast and dinner. We had my son's 25th birthday there the last night. The wine garden - again lovely for lunch. As I've said in all my previous reviews, all these things are great and wonderful BUT it is the people that move OEI from being a lovely, elegant and comfortable destination to TOTEL PERFECTION. These are the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST in the hotel industry. Thanks to everyone - we'll be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your great comments about our staff. We couldn't agree more, and we love being able to share comments with them that show they do, in fact, make a difference. Spring and Fall are definitely magical times to be at Old Edwards-- and in the mountains. We look forward to having you during one of those times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I went for a romantic weekend getaway after seeing an advertisement in Atlanta magazine. The resort is an easy drive from Atlanta, and as soon as you step in the door, your relaxation begins. The service throughout the weekend was incredible. We stayed in the Falls Lodge, and were impressed with the size and quality of the room. The bathroom has an incredible jetted tub, and the heated tile floors were very nice, even in the summer. Each room had two rocking chairs on the porch to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere. I would agree with previous comments that the pillows are not comfortable. Fortunately, we enjoyed a couples massage the second day we were there, and my neck muscles were quickly unknotted!
Speaking of the massage: wow. The Spa is definitely worthy of it's accolades. The calming atmosphere they have created is amazing. Wooden beams, stone walls, water features, comfortable robes, incredible chaise lounges, are spectacular! And that's all before the massage!! Don't miss the 14 head shower afterwards. I regret we didn't spend more time enjoying it all.
We spent most of our time at the pool. Again, the bar service was very good. There were two wedding parties that weekend, and all the chairs were occupied. While there isn't room to bring in more chairs, they were thoughtful enough to put out seat cushions along the poolside to allow guests to sit with their feet in the water near their friends.
We ate at Madison's on our last night, and were again impressed with the atmosphere and service. The wine list is extensive for such a small restaurant, and the food was quite good.
Clearly, I highly recommend this resort and spa. I look forward to returning!

1 Thank MTKtravels
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here after dropping a child off at camp nearby. We stayed in the newer Falls cottages. It was very nice and very comfortable. It was a nice size and you forgot you were staying in a hotel. The bed was very comfortable but I agree with another reviewer that the pillows were not good. I am hoping Old Edwards will get new pillows by the time I come back to visit. We had excellent service throughout the hotel so no complaints. Hannah at the pool took great care of us. I hated to leave and was sorry we could only spend one night. I can't wait to return to the charm of Highlands and Old Edwards Inn.

1 Thank ladybug30004
North Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We went to a social, a wedding and dinner at the Farm of Old Edwards Inn. There was plenty of help. Workers were everywhere. They have everything organized perfectly. All the events went smoothly and the foods were delicious as the drinks. You don't go away hungry or thirsty.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sunfun4850
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our 2nd time back to OEI and it was great but I'm sad I can't give it 5 stars this time around. As you have probably already read the spa is great, rooms are amazing and beds are fabulous! This is all very true plus the staff is amazing.
We go to OEI for pure rest and relaxation so that's why I'm giving this a lower rating,... We stayed in hickory room 801 and it was a constant banging of doors and gates all day long starting at 8am every morning! Gates slamming, and an aerobic class in the pool early in the AM. We contacted the front desk and they just apologized. A few days later I found out the staff uses the hickory lodge as a short cut to get to the historic inn. This is unacceptable to a 5 star resort. The staff should know not to do that. This made our vacation different. When I got home I received an email wanting a review of our stay, I mentioned this and never received a reply back.

Pool is great, the town has great shop and good eats.

Room Tip: Hickory lodge is noisy. Be prepared to hear gates slamming.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MI_travelers2013
Thank you for taking time to post on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback. You are correct that the staff taking shortcuts through the Hickory building is unacceptable, and we have a policy against it. We have taken extra measures to prevent this in the future. We are truly sorry that this resulted in noise during your stay. I know that our management team has been in touch with you. We do hope that you will return for a third visit to Old Edwards.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This beautiful place has probably the best service I've ever encountered in a hotel. On check-in we were shown around by a young college-student employee who couldn't have made us feel more welcome. Our room was smallish but had a lovely porch looking out on the town's principal street. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was superb -- as is the wine list (there is an impressively knowledgeable sommelier). Next time we'll try the spa services.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your visit. You will love the spa when you return for that experience. We look forward to having you with us again. Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We went to the Old Edwards for our honeymoon. It was perfect. When we checked in they met us with Champagne. We were upgraded to the Luxury Suite. The Suite had 3 rooms, 2 fireplaces, a huge soak tub and the famous heated floors in the bathroom. We had a great and relaxing time. Every request from ice to towels was fulfilled immediately. We will absolutely be back.

We had room service from the restaurant one night. It was very good. Some of the best room service I have ever had.

My only complaint was the attitude of one of the girls that worked in the spa. My wife and I had a couple massage. My wife was in her first trimester of pregnancy and was not showing at all. On the initial intake paperwork she indicated she was pregnant. When we were brought back, the girl that was her masseuse made a huge deal that she was pregnant. She made it feel like she could not do anything with my wife because of it. My wife told her she wasn't having any issues and had been laying on her stomach with no issues. The girl made her feel very ostracized. The strangest part, was 2 days later my wife went back for another massage, and the same girl helped her. This time the girl told her it didn't really matter she was pregnant and there would be no problem with her laying on her belly. It was quite bizarre.

I do not take our experience in the spa as a reflection of the hotel. Everyone else was excellent. We will go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Highlands Inn Lodge
Highlands Inn Lodge
#5 of 7 in Highlands
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Been to Old Edwards Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!