“Our Favorite Restaurant in the Highlands”

On the Veranda Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
On the Veranda Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 54 Restaurants in Highlands
Price range: US$24 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US 64 West
Description: Fine dining serving Eclectic American Cuisine overlooking scenic lake Sequoyah in Highlands NC
Columbia, South carolina
“Our Favorite Restaurant in the Highlands”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We vacation annually in the Highlands and always visit this restuarant as the food is always excellent, the service is excellent and the prices are reasonable. They always have a nice menu selection. We really enjoy the NC trout dishes but their evening specials are also wonderful. The wine selections should match your taste as well. If you are lucky enough to get a table on the back porch overlooking the lake your dining experience will be that much better as the porch provides a beautifly view for your relaxation and dining experience. The chef and owner and his wife are very pleasant and friendly when we visit. If you've never dined here we suggest you make reservations during your next trip to the Highlands and form your own opinion. We can't wait to dine there again and will do so next visit.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Raymond007

Isle of Palms, South Carolina
“So Disappointed!!!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My husband has been coming here for dinner since 1985. He has eaten here at least 20 times - I have been here at least 10 times previous to this last visit. Since we have had such wonderful meals here, we brought my brother and sister-in-law for a "thank you" dinner. We were so disappointed in our meal - frankly, it was awful. The Calamari appetizer came with a sauce that had entirely too much garlic. So much so, that it actually created a burning sensation in your mouth. The spinach salad was OK, and probably the best thing about the meal, and it was not that great - too oniony!! (Don't get me wrong - I love onions and garlic but enough is enough!!). My husband had the duck entreé which was not anything to rave about at all. I had the Halibut Francaise (which was the special) and it was terrible! First, it was very bland. It had a butter caper sauce which had no taste. The main problem was the fish was old and extremely fishy tasting - I could not even finish it. The vegetables were lackluster and the couscous offered no pleasant diversion as it had no flavor whatsoever. I was still starving so I ordered the bourbon pecan chocolate pie with ice cream. The pie had no pecans to actually crunch, and the ice cream was already melting and running all over the plate.

If this wasn't bad enough, the service was horrible! We were told there were large bottles of San Pellegrino so we opted to split one and she came to the table with a small bottle. Nothing to cry about, but it got worse. We got appetizers with no plates, so we had to sit there while the appetizers were starting to get cold, waiting to get someone's attention for plates. We had no forks when we got our dinner and couldn't find someone for a while to get us forks. I ordered decaf with cream and got only sugar, and, of course, couldn't find someone to get me the cream while my coffee was getting cold...... Where was our waitress????? My husband ordered a glass of wine and she forgot that also.

All in all we had an extremely disappointing meal, were unhappy that we did not treat our guests to a delicious meal and definitely won't be back.....sad.

Visited June 2014
8 Thank lalee1149
Franklin, North Carolina
“Always Meet Expectations”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Had the opportunity to dine at OTV on Thursday evening. Enjoyed Lexi's fabulous cocktails and Andrew's mouthwatering braised short ribs and seared tuna. You have to stop by and enjoy a meal with them. And the view overlooking the lake is icing on the cake.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jeff C
Highlands, NC
“Once again, brunch delivers”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I have been frequenting the Verandah for many years now and their Sunday brunch is one of my favorites in the area! I brought some close friends who were visiting and they quickly became fan favorites of their Bloody Mary Bar and amazing variety offered on the salad bar! great location, friendly staff, amazing food, & wonderful cocktail selections!!

Atlanta, GA
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We ate On The Verandah for Mother's Day brunch outside Highlands. Our three different meal choices were prepared with perfection and were delicious. The restaurant offers a Sunday brunch menu with approximately 5-7 entree items. For $27/person you get get a choice of soup, entree and salad bar. Note that this is not your run of the mill type salad bar, but rather includes a variety of specialty type homemade cold salad and vegetable choices. Oh yes, and everyone is offered a complimentary glass of champagne or mimosa with their meal! Add some wonderful piano music in the background and the lovely view of the lake from the porch! Just beautiful all around. Don't miss it if you are in the area.

• Visited May 2014