“Mountain ambiance.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Carrollton
“Mountain ambiance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed in a double queen room in the newer section by the "creek". We found the room very comfortable and the decor was a nice rustic theme but fresh and updated. The fireplace in the room was nice but I wish we could keep it on for longer periods of time. The mini kitchen included a frig, micro and sink. The bathroom was small but ample for a short stay with a shower in the bathtub and a single sink and some toiletries provided and hair dryer handy.
We thought the continental breakfast was nice and made it easy to grab some grub and still get an early start to enjoy the nearby waterfalls and the town of Highlands.
Our disappointment was the location of the room. We had hopes of waking up to the peaceful sound of a creek bubbling and gurgling right outside our room. There wasn't much of a creek, not at all what you come to expect in a mountain stay when you reserve a creekside room, and the only sounds we heard were lots of cars going by on the road right outside our room, early in the morning and it certainly wasn't peaceful. We were on the room on the very end of the newer section and are not sure if the other rooms in that section were any better and we were only there for an overnight so we didn't get to see much of the rest of the property. It's a shame because we liked the room and the staff was very nice and helpful and we enjoyed chatting with them.
So, we are not sure if we will stay there, again because of the traffic noise and think we could find a place that is more peaceful and with better views. Other than that problem, it was a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead and talk with the staff to see if there is a more peaceful room location. The newer secti...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CoolKatCarrollton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

My wife and I stayed in a room at the lodge for our anniversary. The rustic room was clean and well apportioned. The kitchen area was convenient, as eating out in Highlands can get expensive. The in-room fireplace was controlled by a knob on the wall (similar to knob on hotel hot tubs) and provided 10-15 minutes of use at a time before you had to get up and reset it. The in-room Jacuzzi was situated very oddly in the kitchen area but provided for a very nice and relaxing soak after many hikes to local waterfalls. Office staff at Mitchell's were very welcoming and pleasant during our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doug B
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

I'm glad we found this lodge. We stayed in the newer section (call to ask what rooms are the newer ones) room #22 and I thought the room was big. It is decorated nicely to make it feel like a log cabin. We did not have an issue with big speed bumps because we used the other entrance. This was almost a deal breaker since we have a sport/luxury car but I'm happy I clarified this issue. Staff was very friendly. Room included a fridge and microwave with a small sink and dishes. My only issue was that our Jacuzzi was not working. After snow tubing, we were looking forward to a warm bath but it did not work. We called the front and they said they would put in a request but that request was never fixed before we left. Oh well, can't have it all. I would stay here again- especially for the price but I recommend you check everything you want to use before settling in the room.

Room Tip: Ask which section is the new section. When reviewing old reviews, a lot of complaints seemed to hav...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ram326
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Took a few days after Thanksgiving to visit the Highlands area and do some hiking. I have stayed at Mitchell's many times over the years. Always a positive experience. I had phoned the Lodge prior to my arrival to inquire about a slightly earlier check-in. No problem (thanks Natalie). This time I stayed in the King/Creekside room. Excellent. Spotless and cozy. Very quiet. In my opinion, Mitchells offers a great value in lodging for the Highlands area. Save some money on your room...and then spend that shopping/dining!

Room Tip: I think # 31 (creekside) is a great choice!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My first warning to everyone is that this place has the largest speed bumps that i have ever seen!!
They are so large that when we drove over it at little more than a rolling speed, it sounded like it was ripping out the bottom of the BMW. Then we found that we had to negotiate two. The second one in front of the office is positioned to allow you to approach it at an angle and reduce some of the drag. The one in the driveway leading to the complex has to be approached more head on. They are well scared from the numerous contacts they have encounter with lower cars such as mine.
Once parked, it causes you stress to think that you have to drive your car back over them; I am not sure why they have to be so big.
The lodge is an older establishment, but everything looked as if it was well taken care of and in good repair. We had a corner room on the second floor and the deck was very spacious. The room was easy to cool and the décor was appropriate for the theme of the lodge. The rooms are clean and neat.
I was also impressed with a guest laundry that was clean and well lit.
The continental breakfast leaves a little to be desired, and the accommodations are little more than three tables positioned in the back of the office, but you can tell that it was planned with the best of intentions and that means a lot.
You can walk to the top of the driveway, turn left and walk towards the old post office and within 5 minutes you are in the parking lot of a shopping center with a great Mexican restaurant, a Subway restaurant, a Chinese restaurant and a grocery store. It is hard to beat the convenience while still having the isolation of the woods.
The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to help you.
I am sure that we will go back, but we will be driving the Ford F-350!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 25, it is the first room on the second story and has a large deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnydurango
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I typically stay at luxury 4-5 resorts and spas; however, when I visit the mountains I prefer rustic. I look for a private hideaway with all the amenities and furnishings I receive at the usual resorts. Mitchell's Lodge and Cottages offers an ideal location to the downtown Highlands area from the back street near all restaurants and shopping (was a great walk each morning)!

I stayed in the Cedar Lodge (similar to condos) on the upper floor with a large balcony, King bed and kitchenette with fireplace and sitting area-the best part was the wonderful private balcony with rockers overlooking the trees and wooded areas. It had the feeling of being in a chalet in Colorado! The staff was very accommodating and loved the swing overlooking the lake and the Jacuzzi overlooking the stream. If you want a great location, quaint, rustic without the high price of a resort - this place is for you! I highly recommend-as love the Highlands!!

Room Tip: If you want more space choose the cottages. However, the Log lodge rooms are adorable (no private p...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Judy C
Gastonia, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Just spent 2 nights in the older lodge and even though I was offered a free upgrade I stayed where I was. Comfortable bed in a nice size room,great nights rest. Staff was very friendly and helpful especially Ginger and Liz. The grounds were picturesque! Can't wait to go back to Highlands to stay in one of the rooms with a fireplace. The complmentary breakfast got our day off to a good start. Would definitly recommend Mitchell"s as a great place for a great price!

Room Tip: The rooms with fireplaces also have private balconies and well appointed.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
200 Main by Old Edwards
200 Main by Old Edwards
#3 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!