“An Old Dump”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Georgia
“An Old Dump”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I almost didn’t book the Highlands Inn because of all the negative reviews but I had a friend who stayed there and liked the hotel. The ratings seem to be either 5-star or 1-star. Apparently some rooms are nice and some are not. Mine was not! My experience started with a questionable charge card practice which I was told by the front desk was ‘normal’. Rather than hit my charge card for a room deposit when I made my reservation (2 months before my arrival) – they immediately charged me the full amount (including taxes). They are apparently desperate for quick cash. During check-in, I asked where I should park. I was told that there is no parking lot and it is up to you to find a place on Main Street. This turned out to be easy since there were only 4 hotel rooms occupied on the night we were there in Oct 2013. No parking lot, no pool, in fact, the only amenities were a phone and a TV.
When we entered our room, we were hit with a strong musty smell which has been noted by other reviewers. Apparently the dark olive carpet and A/C unit need serious cleaning. The room itself is a reasonable size but seemed to be a collection of pieces from other hotels. The bedding and shower curtain were labeled “Hampton Inn”, the towels were tagged “Hyatt”, and the TV came off someone’s wall (a portion of the the wall-mount bracket was still attached to the TV). The A/C has many settings available but in reality it blows air that is either very hot or icy cold – pick one. The temperature problems and awful smell make the room almost unusable. There is Wi-Fi but it is too slow to be practical to use.
For breakfast, the hotel has a passage way to a small restaurant. Hotel guest are given a 10% discount (small omelet $12). A better choice for breakfast is across the street at the grocery store which operates a deli with tables. They open at 7am.
As to ratings, the hotel does not meet my standard of 3+ stars for clean and quiet – it was neither. Left with a choice of 1-star or 2-stars, I have considered the general comfort of the room, amenities, staff, and value. The overriding fact remains that there is no way my room was worth the $200+ for the night I paid. In fact, all things considered, the room was worth maybe $50.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side have a tiny balcony - you can open the door to air-out the room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank EENG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I stayed three nights in the Highlands Inn. The rooms are slightly smaller and average with a distinctively dated decor. The bathroom was quite small too. The staff is wonderful,helpful, and very courteous. The breakfast is not included, but is reasonable. The rocking chairs on the porches are relaxing on a cool evening. The location is prime--right on Main Street and our favorite restaurant, Paoletti, is literally next door to the hotel. The wifi was not reliable upstairs. I would gauge one's expectations before staying here. If one is ok with the dated appearance (it is in on the National Historic Registry--established in 1880) and loves convenience and a very helpful staff,then this hotel will work for you.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms open to balcony overlooking main street. Our third floor room did not open to bal...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sag59
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We went to Highlands for a quick getaway. We should have stayed home. The first room they put us in was next to the road and it was very loud. Second room was out in the courtyard. There no curtains on the windows, and to top it off the shower was just a dribble! Also no shower curtain. The breakfast - well, just barely edible. When we decided to check out early, they offered no refunds and the owner didn't even call us back. I will never recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff were very friendly and helpful but that didn't make up for the old hotel in need of renovation.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jane M
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I spent one night at Highlands Inn. The location is great, but this historic inn needs a renovation. Our room had an offensive musty odor, the window screens were missing, the furniture was old, TV screen so small we could hardly see it from the bed, WiFi connection not reliable, décor 1970's faded and worn. Such a shame. This could be a fine historic inn if the owner would update the rooms. On a positive note, our bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean, and the desk clerk was friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynn28560
Winder, Georgia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My sisters and I and our mother stay at the Highlands Inn every Fall. It is the perfect location, and the staff is wonderful!!! Yes, this is a historic old inn, so there are things that could use an update and occasionally a minor repair is needed, but the staff are extremely attentive and accomodating, and they take care of any problems right away. The fresh baked cookies at night are a nice touch, and the breakfast is wonderful if you're a morning person! The inn has a wonderful balcony that overlooks Main Street, and there's nothing better than sitting out there watching the people and looking at the beautiful mountains! You can just feel the stress melt away... we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Joni C
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Beware this hotel is very old and the puke green carpet is from the 1940's. The stenciling on the walls may only be from the 80's though. We found a nasty, dirty, hairy washcloth hanging in our shower! I wish I had never seen that! You can also hear everything from outside and other guests since it is so old. You are paying for location at $200 a night, it is like staying at a $70 a night hotel. Only thing was the sheets were clean. If you are under 50 just say no to this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to stay at The Old Edward's Inn.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank FLFAM4
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My wife and I came here for the weekend to attend a wedding.
The weather has been perfect and the festivities were wonderful. we have so enjoyed the time with old friends and new ones. The special treat, however, has been coming back to the Inn . Each evening is like coming home!!! The room is so comfortable and the hospitality has been gracious.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charles F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
The Park On Main Hotel
#5 of 7 in Highlands
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.

Been to Highlands Inn? Share your experiences!