“Suspicious charges and horrible experience with management”

Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Suspicious charges and horrible experience with management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I rated this hotel so low not because of the rooms or amenities, which I understand were nice enough, clean, and comfortable (I made a block of reservations for visiting family)--but because of the horrible customer service I received from the hotel manager after I was charged for two rooms I did not reserve.

The mistake was discovered when my family arrived to check in. I talked to the same manager the next business day to try and clear it up. I was nice, asking if something might have happened. (I made the reservation by phone a few weeks earlier, and there had been "computer problems" that I figured might have caused the mix-up). I was met with general defensiveness and very unprofessional accusations--"you knew about the extra rooms all along," "how do I know you're telling the truth," etc. He finally agreed to talk to the receptionist that was there when my family arrived to "check my story"--I would have to call him back to get any more information.

His response was pretty worrisome, so I called Holiday Inn's central guest relations number. They couldn't find any record of the extra rooms I was being charged for--just the ones I had *actually* reserved/gotten confirmation numbers for. This was a relief, but made me question the situation even more.

I called back, asked nicely if he'd been able to work anything out, and was treated with condescension. He had "decided he would take my word for it," and would refund the extra charges "out of goodwill." He knew I had called central guest relations (I supposed they had contacted him?), and confronted me about it, as though I shouldn't have done so. When I asked for a receipt reflecting the refund, he complied, but seemed annoyed. He then asked me if I had disputed the charge with my credit card company--I hadn't, yet--because "he would charge my card again" if I did.

(... wait, what now?)

I have never been treated this poorly by someone in hospitality. The manager's defensiveness toward me as I tried to ask about an issue in a courteous manner made me very suspicious. He couldn't give me any confirmation numbers for the extra rooms and the central reservation system showed no trace of them. After a lot of unpleasantness, I got my money back--but I'm watching my credit account closely and will never make reservations here again. Traveler beware!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank StephanieW524

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Booked this hotel last minute but for a good price, check in was easy although we ended up being charged twice as much after we had returned home. A quick phone call and it was all sorted. The rooms were nice and clean although nothing special. The hotel was ideally situated between 2 Interstates, we used the pool but it was full of leaf debris and furniture after strong winds. Nothing major as we pulled it out and swam anyway.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Davehedgehog77
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

we came for family reunion and stayed 2-3 days. room very clean, staff very friendly. very helpful. greet all the time , when ever they see us.very enjoyable stay.maple view ice cream place they tell us was fantastic.we love to have another reunion at same place.very nice location . close to I 85 and I 40. right on exit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank monalisa s
Oakland, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family stayed here over Thanksgiving 2011, and when we got home, we began getting bed bug bites. After spending over $200 and countless hours, we finally got rid of these pests 4 weeks later after much stress and suffering. I received an extremely defensive attitude from the manager, and no help at all from the corporate offices, with no restitution made to us. We will NOT be staying there again!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Suzanne B
Fairfax
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Staff was very polite and helpful. However, the lobby had a smokey smell when I first walked in. I should have stopped & walked out at that time. The "non smoking" room also smelled of smoke. I will make a point of not stopping there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Louise P
Forest City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

This location is very quiet and secluded, yet very close to Durham for a medical visit. Would much rather stay here and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. Staff was helpful and the hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. Easy to get a good nights rest with no noise or sounds from other guests. Breakfast was very good too!

Room Tip: Look for a coupon in the travel pamphlets at the rest areas for this hotel.