“Stuck in Smoking Room”

Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
“Stuck in Smoking Room”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I reserved and prepaid for a non-smoking room. When we arrived only smoking rooms were available and they smelled terrible. We had a hard time sleeping. No concessions were made for the issue. I don't know what I would have done if we had asthma or other respiratory problems. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Kcjmiddle
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello Kristen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We have various room options to meet the diverse needs of our guest. You can imagine a large number of travelers check in and out of this hotel. Our hope is that everyone will feel at home. So room selection during reservation is critical. On some website "standard room” does not guarantee a non smoking room. Most nights we can alter room types during check in provided we have non smoking rooms available.

I am sorry you were assigned a smoking room. For a non smoker, that is miserable.

Please know we are staffed 24 hours locally. A Guest Service Rep is available to reserve rooms. By calling our property directly, we can address specific request (often times pre block room number). So please give us another chance should your travel plans bring you back in the area.

All the Best,
Tanya
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Coleraine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here overnight after a transAtlantic flight. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean and well maintained. The biggest surprise was at breakfast, which although a self-service buffet, had instant pancakes, sausage, bacon, muffins, etc etc. I had been expecting a coffee and donut. The reception service was very friendly and helpful- the famous southern hospitality that you often read about.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is very convenient for I-85 & I-40, so if you don't mind driving a few minutes it's a good option for visiting the Chapel Hill - Durham area. It's close to I-85, but I didn't notice any significant highway noise. The room I was in was a good size, and very clean (I'm fussy about that). The only thing that bothered me was the stupid flush-limiter they had put in the cistern -- it limits the flush to about a quarter of the cistern's capacity. Really, now.

Hillsborough is a nice little town, there are quite a few good dining options (as well as fast food). The hotel's breakfast was surprisingly decent; even the coffee was drinkable. (Not my usual experience!)

So all in all, not perfect, but a very reasonable option for a short stay in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front (parking lot side) might be quieter than the highway side.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cs_east
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Greeting CS_mass Thank you for the review. We are tucked away in Hillsborough centrally located to Chapel Hill, Durham and Burlington. We are a real value for travelers visiting the NC Tiad and Triangle areas. Sincerely, Tanya-Front Desk Manager
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family close by. We could not have been happier! The service was everything one could want–hands-on, attentive, and friendly. Our room was extremely pleasant and well-arranged, and we loved having a refrigerator. All parts of the hotel were spotlessly fresh and clean. And, we loved Hillsborough! We look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello Melinda M (Lawrence, Kansas) It was truly a pleasure serving you and your family. We are thankful you shared your favorable experience. It's what we aim for: exceeding the expectation of our guest. Appreciatively Tanya, Front Desk Manager
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 March 2014

.. but not by much.
Room was outdated but spacious. Bed was hard but pillow selection was nice.
Room and bathroom were clean. Staff was friendly. Hot breakfast was nice.
No microwave in room.
I wouldn't pay what they ask for the room but I got it for about 1/2 price so wasn't too disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear wonderin_y We appreciate your candid feedback. Please know we do value our guests and are grateful for your comment with regards to our spacious clean room, nice hot breakfast and friendly team members. Hope we are granted another opportunity win your approval. Tonya – Front Desk Manager
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed 3/16. Hotel is just off the interstate but a bit hard to find. It is on a hill behind McDonalds and out of sight from the road. Only a small sign indicates hotel road and it is far enough up the hill that you may question if you are on the right trail. Once there, you'll find plenty of well lit parking. You will need a car to get to anything from this hotel although restaurants and gas stations are all within a mile.

Our check in went well. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient. The hotel is clean and beds are comfortable. Sheets were clean, fresh and crisp. There were 4 pillows on each bed. You'll find a flat screen TV, fridge and microwave in the room. There is good water pressure with plenty of hot water and plenty of towels. Everything in the room worked well and appeared to be well maintained. There is a typical Holiday Inn breakfast but we ate elsewhere.

Overall, a nice place to stop.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Wow Jerry what a thorough assessment. You provide the essential detail needed to evaluate a property. I appreciated the warm comments.

Tanya - Front Desk Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Came into town today and got check in and went to a meeting. Came back from the meeting into a storm of a mess. I walked hotel management telling me that I did have a room at this hotel and my luggage was in a room. Keep in mind, the lobby was full of a least 30-45 people and I was embarrassed. Everyone was looking and I felt really bad. I have stayed at this hotel before and know most of the employee on a first name basis and I was shocked by this. I advised that I could get my lap top that has my reservation that was done days ago and then he finally saw it and wanted to proceed to refer to me as family and he and the staff did not mean any harm. With years of travel and too many hotels, I am going to find a alternative with bad hotel service and no respect given to guest and heavy traveling guest. Not over yet! He then asked me for a credit card even though the room was already prepaid and know me (remember family) I never make phone calls due to fact I carry 4 cells and on in the car. And advise me he was authorizing $25.00. I gave him a card. 90 minutes later, I am getting a call from my credit card company knowing that I have not charge any amount on this card in weeks asking me about a use. I advise them of a hold of $25 and it was incorrect sine the manager charged $50 and they canceled the card and had to FedEx a new to my home address overnight in which I am not going to be back for another two weeks. Service is gone. Loyalty is gone. The industry does not care anymore about guest and I for one is going to seek other ways of not having to deal with lack of customer service, loyalty programs that have ended and cut back, bad hotel rooms, and just plain disrespect of customers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank WorldTraveler19999
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Greetings WorldTraveler19999 Sounds like we should have done better. I do apologize for your less than stellar expereince during your last stay. It is a shame that afters weeks of being our guest we were not able to meet your expectation. During your last stay there was a 100 mile radius power outage in our area We were left without phone service, conputers system and various other connections that help us make your previous stays flawless. Nevertheless our desire to make that seamless to our guest proved monumental. I do hope you will give us another chance. You are our value guest and we will miss your weekly visits.

Appreciatively, Tanya Strong - Front Dest Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Holiday Inn Express Mebane
Hilton Durham near Duke University
Hampton Inn Mebane
Hampton Inn Mebane
#1 of 2 in Mebane
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough? Share your experiences!