“Exceeded Expectations”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hillsborough
Maryland
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Super friendly staff. Quiet. Breakfast selections fresh and carefully attended to. Room had every amenity we needed. Air conditioner quieter than many. Will definitely stay here again when were in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear MarylandGrammy - Maryland , Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It really strikes a chord when our guest tell us we exceeded their expectations. We recently made changes to our already awesome breakfast adding a variety of fruit, nuts, hot cereal and turkey sausage to name a few. Those items in addition to our standard Holiday Inn Express options give our guest a wide selection to satisfy any diet. So we especially appreciate your comment about the fresh selections. Thanks you so much for staying with us.

All the Best!

Tanya
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cockeysville, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Originally from Hillsborough and heard great things! Came down from Maryland and stayed for 3 nights. Room was clean, staff was friendly and breakfast was good! Had no issues! I even called down to mention how great of a job housekeeping did cleaning my room when staying over the 2nd night! Will stay here again when visiting from Maryland!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear carbon89 Cockeysville, Maryland, Your kind words keep us inspired to serve. At the Holiday Inn Hillsborough, we know you have options when choosing lodging. That's why our desire is to demonstrate our appreciation from the time you make you reservation, through out your stay and at check out. Please know we value you satisfaction and cant wait to serve you during your next visit.

Warmest Regards,
La Tarndra Strong
Sherrills Ford, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times since it opened. We like the proximity to my sister & our son & daughter-in-law. We have stayed here while attending a variety of functions for our family. This time we stayed one night, Saturday, June 14, 2014. Even with my rewards the rate was $135.00! We have never paid over $100-$105. I questioned the front desk, and the answer was that there were many graduations, weddings etc. that weekend. That may be true, but a rewards holder who could be called a loyal customer should get a better rate. And even if it is customary to raise rates at certain times, the hotel is more than making what they would normally. We plan to search other rates at hotels nearby on our next trip.

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PatMundyBumgarner
Tonya S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear PatMundyBumgarner (Sherrills Ford, North Carolin)

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We know travelers have options when choosing lodging. Thank you for being our loyal guest and choosing the Holiday Inn Express - Hillsborough time and time again. It is unfortunate that your last stay was during a high occupancy evening and discount rates were already extended. We hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate we value you as our repeat guest. Please call me directly when booking your next reservation. I’ll will ensure you will enjoy your visit.

Warmest Regards,

Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was visiting relatives, so I really only slept and showered there. I did take advantage of the breakfast, which was very nice. They had a little bit of everything you could want. The bed/pillows were comfortable. I slept like a baby. Not fancy, but just what I needed. I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Linda L Algonquin, Illinois

We appreciate your warm comments. We like hearing our property met your expectations. Thank you for rating our breakfast highly. We take pride in having a diverse selection so that all guests are pleased, Hope to see you soon!!!!!

Appreciatively,

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Business travel found me at the Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough. It is conveniently located off of both I-40 and I-85. I found the property to be typical with a friendly staff and good warm cinnamon buns in the morning! I was even in need of printing something prior to heading to my conference and the front desk clerk allowed me to come behind the desk to print my required materials. Overall, it was a typical stay at a typical hotel. If your travels find you in the Hillsborough area, I'm pretty sure this site will do you just fine.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear blkreign30 Greensboro, North Carolina

We could not agree with you more. The Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough is an ideal location for business travelers coming to the Durham, Chapel Hill and Burlington. On average our room rated is a value when comparing local accommodations. You are also right those cinnamon buns our guest rave about are warned daily.

We are grateful for your glowing review.

Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2014

HI Express hotels are fairly common and fairly reliable at providing a decent, dare I use the word: quality, room at a decent price. Just a safe, clean room. Sometimes that is all you need - sometimes you want more, but sometimes it's just what you need.

This particular HI Express is pretty much the same as the rest - small, local hotels - decent rooms - free breakfast that sounds better than it is, etc. etc. So there are two things that made this one stand out for me.. First, the bedding. HI Express has upped their game. Gone are the slim, shapeless pillows and scratchy sheets. Dang, their pillows are right up there with some of the 4-5 star hotels I have stayed in. Now don't get me wrong, they still skimp waaaayy to much on bathroom towels. Not enough, not good quality - period. Change them. Add them. Do what you need to do to up your game on those towels.

And while we are talking about the breakfast, or at least I was anyway - really when you say it runs from 6:30-10 or some such nonsense. Please don't start putting it away at 9:30. And on the weekend, would it hurt to leave it open a little longer - especially the coffee???? And, while I am at it - just give me some fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals and some juice. Those pasty baked goods that taste like they have been on a truck for 6 months, skip them. Those 'eggs' - we both know they're not eggs.. skip them... and don't even get me started on the 'meat' -

Now what can distinguish these hotels is the staff. And this particular one has a heck of a front desk clerk - who really goes above and beyond to make sure people have what they want. I wish I could remember her name, but she was awesome. The place was filled with wedding goers on the weekend and she still managed to keep smiling. Even when she told me for the 4th time that no, at 2pm in the afternoon - the towels still weren't done. Luckily I looked bad enough in the hall for a maid to give me one out of someone else's room so I could make the wedding... Stop skimping on towels!!! Oh, did I say that already??

Room Tip: only 3 floors to choose from - any room will do! but make sure you ask for no smoking - they still...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear LvsChagall,

Thank you for writing a candid review. It is hugely motivating that you took the time to acknowledge one of our front desk clerks. Your wonderful comments are greatly appreciated. On the other hand, it is regrettable to read that the breakfast options and bathroom amenities were a let down during your stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these aspects have caused. We will address these matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future.

Again, thank you for your feedback. Should your future travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love to welcome you back in our establishment.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Central Virginia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I returned to this hotel after many week elsewhere. It continues to be a relaxing, well run hotel. Its location, Hillsborough, is a nice small town, with great restaurants and bars, while still being very close to Durham and Carrboro.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chuck S Central Virginia

What a fantastic review!!!!! I can’t wait to share it with our staff who are committed to our mission of doing our best to “Wow” our guest. It is our pleasure to have you back and we consider it a joy to hear you had a relaxing noteworthy stay with us.

Front Desk Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsborough
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Holiday Inn Express Mebane
Hilton Durham near Duke University
Hampton Inn Mebane
Hampton Inn Mebane
#1 of 2 in Mebane
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough? Share your experiences!