“A hiking haven!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a beautiful setting! The grounds and rooms are lovely and well maintained. The food is excellent , as well! One of the reasons that this place is so special is because the owners are so nice and helpful. We were not sure where to hike,and they provided us with maps and directions!

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank 97chipper

Reviewed 30 August 2011

It's interesting I noticed my review has been taken off from a year ago. My husband and I stayed at Mountain Magnolia for our 4th anniversary last year. We origionally reserved the Sycamore room which we had stayed in before. I really loved this room. Once we arrived they upgraded us to the Rose room. Even though it was an upgrade, I was very reluctant as I really liked the Sycamore. Needless to say we took it. We arrived on a Friday, had our anniversary with a dinner at the inn on Saturday. Then Sunday we went for an all day hike. When we arrived back to the inn at roughly 8:00 as we had a reservation at the hot springs at 8:30 they met us at our car as we drove up. They then proceeded to tell us that our stay was over and that we need to remove our things immediately from the room as another couple was coming in. As it turns out, since they upgraded us "so to say" they actually downgraded us by not booking the room for the entire time we reserved. In other words they already booked out our origional Sycamore room for this evening. They ended up putting us at another inn nearby which was a huge downgrade due to the noise and no scenic views and no breakfast. I'm sure they made some inside trade deal with them on this. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, as we went to get our things, since we were forced to leave, the innkeeper tried to help me pack-- even the thought of her touching my things infuriates me. The last charming touch is that the flowers my husband had bought me four our anniversary were left for the bride and groom who were staying. I'm sure she thought these were for her.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Anya W
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed in the Garden House with our 3 grandchildren. The hosts were gracious, breakfast each day was delicious, and the setting is beautiful. Host provided us with directions to hiking and rafting opportunities. We recommend the hike to Max Patch for the view. We look forward to going back (without children) to enjoy the beautiful inn.

Room Tip: The Garden House is perfect for families.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nctraveler1952
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We had another wonderful visit to Mountain Magnolia Inn this month. We've stayed there many times in the past 5 years. The variety of accommodations offer a new experience each time (Birds Nest being our favorite - by the stream). Stayed in Miss Peggy's Suite this time and enjoyed the garden just outside the suite. As always the dinner and breakfast are incredible! We'll be back. We want to try the Buckeye Room! Pete and Karen make sure you are well taken care of!
Hot Springs is a wonderful community offering many ways to enjoy the mountains right outside the door! Including real hot spring spas!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Dolphin94
Reviewed 7 July 2011

To start off, I would like to say that I am a travel agent, so I do look at properties differently sometimes than others may view them. I believe mostly that I am harder on them in some ways but also know that there are things that can't be helped...like when people complain about sand on a lobby floor at a resort in Aruba...really? So....
My husband is facing some major surgery in the next few weeks and we wanted to get away for a long relaxing weekend to get ready for the weeks to come. We have been everywhere in NC, Boone, Chimney Rock, Lake Lure, Maggie Valley, Waynesville, Asheville, Banner Elk, Linville, the beaches, etc...you name it. But we had NEVER been to Hot Springs! So, I did some research and booked our trip. We would stay at the highly recommended Mountain Magnolia Inn and what a fabulous choice that was! I like to arrange things for us ahead of time and the Inn provided a package with 2 massages included along with $60 towards their dinner meal served only on Fri - Mon nights. We opted to stay in the Cliffside Cabin which is off the Inn property but only a mile down the road. It is a lovely 2 br, 2ba cabin with a full kitchen. Extremely well equipped, clean and homey. It has a fireplace that passes through from the "den" to the master bedroom, which we could not use because it is summer :) There is a rushing stream that runs behind the property and a deck on the back of the cabin where you can enjoy a snack and cocktail in the evening. We left our window open at night so we could sleep to the sound of the stream. It was great! There is no TV...hooray...and only a small radio that we listened to the whole time. Games, puzzles, etc. are there and I haven't enjoyed solitaire so much in years!! My husband and I enjoyed much over due reading and time together.
On our first morning we enjoyed the wonderful breakfast prepared by Caroline, of a puff pastry stuffed with egg and spinach, also sausage, sweet watermelon, strawberry muffins, orange and cranberry juice, yogurt and homemade granola! Yum! Forget about lunch! We had made arrangements at Huck Finn Outfitters for a 21/2 hour "float" down the French Broad River. The people there could not have been nicer. Sam was our guide and was very friendly and got us on our way. We actually had to paddle more than we thought as we were headed into the wind so we got more exercise than anticipated (and more sun ...bring your sunscreen...duh) Then we had appointments with the massage therapist, Marie Judy in the late afternoon. WOW! She was awesome! If you have something that hurts...it won't after she is finished! She is very very good! By that time we were complete marshmallows! She does the sessions in the third floor area of the Inn, which is so convenient and has quite the view.
We did have a bit of dinner at Iron Horse that evening. I had the chicken and white bean chili that was very good but over all I have to say that I think they are a bit over priced, although their portions are huge...which isn't what we are really looking for. Smaller more healthy options for less money would be welcomed.
Again, reading and relaxing before retiring for the night was bliss. (although I missed my pillow) The woman that came the next day to freshen up was very accommodating, making sure she replaced some bulbs that were out and replenishing anything that was needed.
The following morning again we were treated to Caroline's breakfast of quiche, sausage, cheese grits (YUM) and fruit. Homegrown blueberries, muffins and all the rest. She is so adorable and so into her cooking and presentation!
We did the hike up to Lover's Leap from the Inn. It was a 2 1/2 hour trek up the mountain. It was difficult, steep and rocky. I loved it and my husband complained all the way up and boasted all the way down that he had "done it" and we have pictures to prove it. We then went back to the Iron Horse for BEER! Never tasted so good!
Late in the afternoon we had made arrangements at the Hot Springs Resort and Spa to utilize the hot springs mineral soak bathe. It is a totally private hot tub with the mineral spring water at about 102 degrees. No suits required. A view of the mountains and French Broad River.
That night we had reservations to eat at the Inn for dinner. What a treat!! This young chef, Chris Brown, has done incredible things with this menu! He is so talented and his presentation is beautiful but not overboard. His food is first rate! I had his filet/lamb burger that he grinds in house. It is lovely! My husband had rack of lamb that left him gnawing on the bones! Salad and bread were just as special. We enjoyed a bottle of wine (which by the way you can enjoy at any time at this inn along with a selection of beer if you want) the crème Brule....well there is not a thing I can say negatively about the talents of Chris and his hardworking assistant, Travis . Oh, and the woman that waited on us..., Emily, was so superb. She was so upbeat and lovely...and about 7 months pregnant. How can anyone be so happy on their feet at 7 months?
Before we left on our last day we once again enjoyed our breakfast of quiche, smoked bacon, blueberry walnut muffins, watermelon....I'm telling you, you will not go hungry!
OK, so the whole staff is remarkable which brings me to Pete, the owner. It says mountains about someone that can allow others to do their jobs with your direction so easily. He obviously has a gift with people...ones that work with him and ones that visit him. (I never met his wife but I heard she is equally as lovely). The care that he has put into the immaculate grounds, the up keep of the Inn and cabins, the herb garden, the flower gardens.....unbelievable. And the young woman, Stacey , that keeps up those grounds is just loving every minute of it! She is also so warm and genuine.
But even though you know Pete (and his wife Karen) is the force behind this successful business, he is humble enough to allow everyone to bask in their own achievements and talents. He understands that everyone brings a little something to this bliss, and in the end, everyone that stays there reaps the rewards.
As far as the town of Hot Springs, people say there isn't much to do there but they are wrong! There aren't amusement parks, fancy restaurants, big clothing stores, movie theaters and malls....that is true (thank goodness) but there are lovely, honest, hard working, genuine and artistic people there that just do whatever they can to make your stay in their little town, the best get away you can have! I recommend it 100%. You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: Call early to make reservations. Especially in October and around Holiday's.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank princess0421
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

I shared your feedback with our entire team. What a motivator for them. They make it all possible. Thanks. Pete

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed in the Walnut room at Mountain Magnolia and it was absolutely perfect. Our room was beautiful and there was no television in the room so we opened the French doors and listened to the rain fall all night. Pete, the owner was so friendly and accomidating, and we were made to feel right at home.
We ate dinner at the inn and it was the best meal I've had in I can't remember when! I got the ribs and the meat fell right off the bone. Great wine selection too. For breakfast we were given a full plate of amazing home cooked items including a fresh quiche with cherry tomatoes, fruit from the garden, and a homemade ripe raspberry-pistachio muffin that was absolutely awesome.
We live in Knoxville and it is a fairly short drive to Hot Springs, but it's a drive that I plan to make over and over again. The mountain Magnolia is the ideal spot for a romantic weekend. Thank you for everything Pete!

Room Tip: Each room is different so look before you decide.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jrabbitknox
pete1nagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thanks for your nice comments. We have a great team in the kitchen ( lead by Chris Brown), housekeeping, innkeepers and grounds.........they make it all possible. Thanks again. Pete

Reviewed 25 April 2011

We loved everything about the place, including our special treatment. Highly recommend the dining. My girlfriend's steak was perfect. My dinner was superb. All in all, a great place.

Room Tip: Walnut Room
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CurtisNJenny

Been to Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant? Share your experiences!