“Beautiful setting, charming ambience, but beware of the train!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Beautiful setting, charming ambience, but beware of the train!”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The title says it all -- we had a great time at the Inn and they were very accommodating. However, make sure you book one of the back rooms if you're a light sleeper -- the train passes by at 2am-ish

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Leavingonajetplane21
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Most people find the train to be nostalgic but if you are a light sleeper this is good advice so ask the innkeeper which room best meets your needs.

The railroad has a wondeful history in the area. It came through in 1882 when the Paint Creek Line connected Tennessee to the rails in Western North Carolina. This ushered in an era of travel from the midwest to the south and visa versa with many stopping to take in the hot mineral water and enjoy the cool temperatures of the mountains.

At it's peak, the Mountain Park Hotel had 350 rooms and a ballroom which could seat 600 people. This is in a town which today has 600 residents. WOW.

Mountain Magnolia Inn was the home of the man and woman who owned the hotel - James Rumbough and his wife Carrie. It was a private residence until 1996 when my wife and I bought it and restored it to open an inn.

Today the train is totally commercial and is operated by Norfolk and Southern. Mostly they haul coal heading east. The train has no particular schedule that we can discern. It may run 8 times per day or none but probably averages 6 times.

If you love trains the Buckeye room or Rose or Walnut are for you. If not ask about our other accommodations.

Pete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2011

What a wonderful, relaxing place to just get away. The food was excellent and the service could not have been better. Within walking distance of hot springs by the river.

Room Tip: Ask for the room size that accomates your needs. They have all sizes available
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly1945
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 October 2011
Thanks for the kind words. Pete
Franklin, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We are already planning our next trip back to MMI! We are just a pair of hard working girls who were looking for a reasonably priced place just to getaway for a couple of nights from the stressors of everyday life, have fun, unwind, eat well, and sleep comfortably. MMI provided all that and more.

The breakfasts were to die for (unfortunately, we were there during the week so we missed the opportunity to enjoy their well-known sumptuous dinners), the room extremely clean, the bed super comfortable, the old Victorian home well-appointed and the grounds beautful (the most magnificent Magnolia tree we have ever seen!).

The staff was engaging and friendly, and made us feel comfortable and right at home. Beth, the manager, is a sweet, soft-spoken woman who spent time with us and made sure we had everything we needed, right down to our hiking maps. We also want to thank her for the unexpected free upgrade to Miss Peggy's Suite which was absolutely enchanting. We felt like royalty. And being, we both snore, what a delight for us to each have our own room.

We also enjoyed the magic hands of massage therapist Marie Judy. The room is intimate and relaxing at the very top of the mansion.

Hot Springs is a charming little town where you can walk almost anywhere, eat home cooking, visit a few ecclectic shops, and claim you walked on the AT as it runs right down the center of town.

Also, do not miss out on a "soaking" at Hot Springs Spa. Well worth the price but, unfortunately for us, an hour was not enough time!

We have already recruited more friends for our next visit, which will be as soon as possible! Thanks to everyone at MMI for making our visit so special. See you soon!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank dee L
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
My wife and I were on a family vacation at the beach when you stayed with us. Glad you had a great time and that our team took good care of you- they're the best.

Pete.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Wonderful service, excellent restaurant, gorgeous grounds. If I were getting married (again), I'd pick this place for a destination wedding. There is a great masseuse affiliated with MMI who has a massage room on the top floor with a fabulous view.
Hot Springs is a teeny little town on the Appalachian Trail, best known to hikers and bikers. The French Broad River is nearby for rafting or just floating down. Great place for a weekend.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Mannyma
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Well the time has come.........Another year, another anniversary for my wife and I. Unfortunately for Mountain Magnolia, we will not be spending our 5th Wedding Anniversary with them. On our very first wedding anniversary we did our research and decided on a B&B in the mountains. We were filled with joy when we found the Mountain Magnolia Inn and their beautiful grounds. Not to mention an excellent restaurant. We arrived in September 2007 and stayed in the Sycamore room. It was so quaint and cozy, my wife immediately fell in love with it. We had exceptional service and a wonderful time staying there.

Fast forward to September 2010. We decided to return to Mountain Magnolia for our 4th anniversary. I booked the Sycamore room again 5 or 6 months in advance. We arrive and to our surprise they had upgraded us to the Rose Room which is a much nicer accommodation.

We had an incredible weekend up until 8:15pm on Sunday night when my wife and I were essentially forced out of our room in order to accommodate another couple whom they had double booked for the Rose Room. A couple who had just been married and on their Honeymoon. Apparently there were no other rooms available at the Inn so the Mountain Magnolia management decided that our 4th anniversary was of lower importance to the newlyweds and put us up in a local hotel for our final night of vacation.

On Sunday night, after a long day of Hiking we returned to Mountain Magnolia around 8. Innkeeper Beth met us in the parking lot as we were walking to the Inn, still with packs on. We were in a literal state of shock that we were being told that we could not stay the last night of our 4th anniversary weekend in our room. Beth said “we knew you would understand as we have been so good to you and you both are so nice”. We felt as though we were being taken advantage of due to our “niceness”. We never felt as though we had a choice in the matter.

One of the many upsetting things in all of this was that in the 15 minute shuffle to pack all of our things and get out she was not able to keep the flowers I had requested for our arrival on Friday, the flowers that I paid for, the flowers that probably were left in the room for the Honeymooners. The flowers that Mr. Nagle said he would refund but never did.

It was not OK for this to have happened. All of the exceptional service we received on our first day (our actual anniversary) including a spectacular private dinner setting which we did not request but they set up for us anyway and Saturday was completely washed out by the mix up and the way this was all handled. When we arrived back at Mountain Magnolia Inn on Saturday night after a long day of hiking the Graveyard Fields and Yellowstone Falls, my wife and I were highly looking forward to relaxing on the porch with some wine and star gazing prior to our 9pm appointment at the Hot Springs Spa. We were also starving and planned on ordering some food from their restaurant. I, being a hobby photographer, was looking forward to photographing the night sky from our deck.

Additionally, after moving our bags to the Iron Horse Hotel, and after our soak at the Hot Springs Spa, we could not find anywhere that was still serving food. We ended up our last night of our anniversary vacation in Hot Springs eating crackers and cookies that we had prepared for a Monday morning hike. We also got no sleep due to the loud band playing in the bar below our room. Not to mention the loud Air Conditioning and train tracks next to the Hotel.

We are returning to the beautiful Asheville/WNC area this weekend September 1st-5th for our 5th anniversary and have decided to not stay with Mountain Magnolia. I'm writing this review today because even a year late, my wife is still very upset about the whole thing. So, if this review has done anything I hope it serves as a reminder for the innkeepers and any future guests to CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RESERVATIONS!

PS - After writing our disappointments in a letter to Mr. Pete Nagle he did respond with apologies and how they would negate this from happening in the future. For us, though, it was a little too late.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank SPEPTobie
Petenagle, Owner at Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
This incident happened over a year ago so obviously it really upset the couple involved. This was one of the worst mix-ups in our 12 years and we did everything possible to make it right and treat everyone involved fairly and with respect.

When we upgraded the couple the reservation was made on our system for 1 day less than the couple wanted. At check-in no one (us or the couple) noticed this on the check-in sheet. As a result, we had rented the room to a newly wed couple who were in the military and were moving all their worldly possessions in a U-Haul, staying here 2 nights and then on to their new assignment. He was then to head off to Iraq or Afghanistan.

When we realized the problem (we were 100% full at the time), we decided to pay for the best available lodging at a local hotel for the couple that had checked in to the shorter than requested reservation and to give them a free meal. I wrote an apology letter explaining in depth what had happened. This was an unfortunate mistake on our part and we did the best we could to make a bad situation right.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a beautiful setting! The grounds and rooms are lovely and well maintained. The food is excellent , as well! One of the reasons that this place is so special is because the owners are so nice and helpful. We were not sure where to hike,and they provided us with maps and directions!

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank 97chipper
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 August 2011

It's interesting I noticed my review has been taken off from a year ago. My husband and I stayed at Mountain Magnolia for our 4th anniversary last year. We origionally reserved the Sycamore room which we had stayed in before. I really loved this room. Once we arrived they upgraded us to the Rose room. Even though it was an upgrade, I was very reluctant as I really liked the Sycamore. Needless to say we took it. We arrived on a Friday, had our anniversary with a dinner at the inn on Saturday. Then Sunday we went for an all day hike. When we arrived back to the inn at roughly 8:00 as we had a reservation at the hot springs at 8:30 they met us at our car as we drove up. They then proceeded to tell us that our stay was over and that we need to remove our things immediately from the room as another couple was coming in. As it turns out, since they upgraded us "so to say" they actually downgraded us by not booking the room for the entire time we reserved. In other words they already booked out our origional Sycamore room for this evening. They ended up putting us at another inn nearby which was a huge downgrade due to the noise and no scenic views and no breakfast. I'm sure they made some inside trade deal with them on this. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, as we went to get our things, since we were forced to leave, the innkeeper tried to help me pack-- even the thought of her touching my things infuriates me. The last charming touch is that the flowers my husband had bought me four our anniversary were left for the bride and groom who were staying. I'm sure she thought these were for her.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Wildberry Lodge
#1 of 1 in Leicester
Historic Montford
Abbington Green Bed & Breakfast Inn and Spa

Been to Mountain Magnolia Inn, Suites & Restaurant? Share your experiences!