All reviewsiron horserestaurant downstairsold buildingappalachian trailwalls are very thinpackage dealin townshower headwood floorswhite noise machinewould stay here againsmall townno elevatorthe staff was friendly and helpfulsmall roomking bedbeer and wine
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I really loved this hotel. It's clean and comfortable and the innkeeper is very nice. We loved eating in the restaurant downstairs and being able to walk everywhere we went in Hot Springs. The only thing that was an issue was that with the thin walls, it didn't feel very private. We could hear other people's conversations. Also, we had an interior room and it got pretty stuffy - a fan would have been really nice. Instead we opened the window above the door which helped a little, but then it felt even less private. Really though - we loved it and would definitely stay there again!

A hint: for breakfast, hit the take out place in the Take-Out Riverside Grill. Their omelets and coffee are amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Very clean hotel located right in the one block of shops in Hot Springs. If you want to walk to the few shops/restaurants in town this is a good place to stay. Our room was very clean, linen was nice as well. When I asked about getting the heat turned up (there are no in room thermostats) the woman at the front desk loaned me a space heater for our room. It was perfect! My only "complaint" would be that the walls are very thin so it sounds like your neighbor is in the room with you. We didn't have noisy neighbors so it was fine, but it was a little awkward knowing someone could hear your whole conversation! I actually liked not having a tv, but if you have to have one you might want to stay elsewhere. All in all I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

What a nice change of pace, no TV's in the rooms :)
The Inn is an old boarding house but remodeled and all the charm has been kept. For those that are looking for a typical hotel stay, this is not it. For those that are looking for a charming place to stay, without all the mod cons of a hotel then this is the place. There is WiFi throughout the Inn so you are not totally cut off from the outside world. Cell phone service is also limited.
Yes, the train comes through at 5am, but if you have seen the movie My Cousin Vinnie, you will laugh about it rather than be annoyed by it. For us, it was part of the charm of the place. Will return.

Room Tip: A couple of the rooms are above the restaurant kitchen and maybe a little noisy before closing. Ask for a different one if that bothers you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelinFlorida40
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We ventured to Hot Springs, NC for the soak in the mineral spring tubs. Someone recommended a stay at the Iron Horse and we're glad we did. Be forewarned, this is not for those that have to have televisions. This place is quaint and lovely, from the front desk, the clerk, the beautiful hardwoods, the books in the hallways to enjoy, the cleaning staff, the small and cozy rooms to the tiny bathrooms. We loved it all. We enjoyed a bottle of wine downstairs at the restaurant and had some great fried green tomatoes.

The only reason I can't give it a five is the fact that the train is literally right outside your window (room 214). We weren't aware of this (we arrived in the dark and fog) and had opened our window for the fresh air. You can imagine our terror in the middle of the night when the train came blaring through sounding it's horn. We laughed and fell back to sleep to be woken up again a few hours later. At least we got a giggle out of it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I wanted to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail and my wife and I went to Hot Springs, NC and got a room at the Iron Horse Station. We had never heard of the place but went in and met Ray, the manager. Immediately he won us over . We had dinner at the Iron Horse restaurant and could not have been better satisfied with the room or restaurant. The food was prepared perfectly and the server was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and the price was reasonable. After our first night we were making plans for a return visit which we can't wait to do. We highly reccomend the Iron Horse Station to all our friends and relatives.
Odell