All reviewsiron horserestaurant downstairsold buildingappalachian trailwalls are very thinpackage dealin townshower headwood floorswhite noise machinewould stay here againsmall townno elevatorthe staff was friendly and helpfulsmall roomking bedbeer and wine
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Great place to stay in a small town. the restaurant below had good food and the prices were reasonable. Service staff were top notch. The Innkeeper was very nice and very accommodating to our VERY FEW request. It is right next to NS freight line (railroad) which didn't bother me a bit, as a matter of fact I really enjoyed it (growing up near the railroad). As other people have said there are no TV's or phones in the room - what a nice change. Everything that we needed was within a 5min walk and I didn't move my car for the 2 days that we were there. I would recommend 'The Diner' about a 5min walk from the hotel for breakfast (didn't go there for any other times) as they were VERY friendly and good food. As a matter of fact everyone in the town were friendly and very nice. Don't forger to check out the 'Hot Springs' across the tracks from the Hotel and take a hike on the AT. We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I purchased a coupon for a two nights stay at this quaint little inn. I had seen it years ago while at the hot springs and thought it might be nice to stay there if I returned to the area. I thought it was a sign when the offer showed up.
I couldn't have been more pleased with the accommodations! The staff was so friendly and so willing to make our stay memorable. Fresh hot coffee in the mornings and a cozy place to gather and meet other guest. Plus, a really nice restaurant downstairs serving up delicious dishes. Also, a great recommendation for a breakfast spot right down the street. Wish I could remember the name but just ask. The service was great and portions are big! Charming little town with some a few nice shops.
There's lots of great hiking and of-course the hot springs is a must.
We stayed in room 206 with a claw foot tub and separate shower. The bed was one of the comfortable I've ever slept in other than my own! The rooms are nicely decorated as well. I suggest if you are sensitive to noise that you pick a room not above the restaurant. Keep in mind this is an old building...not much sound proofing. And don't be surprised when the train passes through in the middle of the night! It only adds to the experience of being in a small mountain community.
One more thing...there's a coffee/espresso spot as you turn off the main road coming from Ashville right on the corner. Stop in and give her some business. Very pleasant and I had a great Cappuccino!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We looked forward to staying in the Iron Horse for a few years. It is in a nice location in Hot Springs, NC with a great restaurant located on premises downstairs. The rooms are clean and well-kept. The only downside is the freight train line that runs across the street from the hotel. If you're not a very sound sleeper, be preapred to be woken up by the train that goes by at 0-dark-thirty in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K2V2
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The Short:
Took advantage of a Groupon deal. A very nice hotel; an old building with a lot of character. Access to the tavern without going outside. A quiet place that gets even quieter when the tavern closes (19:30 week days or 20:30 weekends). The freight train passing through town adds to the charm. AT blaze immediately outside the front door. You can park and walk several great, unique places. We will return.

The Long:
The Groupon deal gave us two nights of lodging and a food credit at the Iron Horse Tavern just downstairs from our room. Driving from North Georgia, the travel to get to the small town of Hot Springs was very scenic. The Iron Horse is located immediately on the Appalachian Trail. It's reported to be a spot frequented by thru-hikers between March and May. Our room was rather small, but met our simple needs. Generously sized private bathroom with walk-in shower was very nice. No TV in the room (there is a lounge for visitors to relax in that has a nice size TV for all to use). Ice is to be gotten from the bar tender downstairs (pretty fun to belly up to the bar in your pa-jjs). A short walk north on the AT will cross you over the French Broad River and put you right into the woods for a very nice hike (several loop trails to choose from). Several small shops and eateries are easily walkable from the hotel as well. We didn't need the use of our trusty little car throughout our stay. The Hot Springs Resort (with its natural spring hot tubs!) is also a short walk away.

The Iron Horse staff was very easy going and pleasant. The 12:00pm checkout time is a perk. Speaking of perk, there is also a coffee pot for guests in the lounge. The Iron Horse is a great place to begin a hike, and a relaxing place to rest up afterward. A perfect place for those who love the AT and exploring her towns. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Several different room types are available. From bunk beds to queen size. Make sure you speak with the staff to get the right room for you.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I really loved this hotel. It's clean and comfortable and the innkeeper is very nice. We loved eating in the restaurant downstairs and being able to walk everywhere we went in Hot Springs. The only thing that was an issue was that with the thin walls, it didn't feel very private. We could hear other people's conversations. Also, we had an interior room and it got pretty stuffy - a fan would have been really nice. Instead we opened the window above the door which helped a little, but then it felt even less private. Really though - we loved it and would definitely stay there again!

A hint: for breakfast, hit the take out place in the Take-Out Riverside Grill. Their omelets and coffee are amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple