“Nice Place to Stay”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We spent one night at the Sleep Inn and think it is a very good place to stay. I debated giving it five stars since it really is an "excellent" Sleep Inn, but that might make it sound like a luxury hotel, so I resisted. I would recommend a stay at this Sleep Inn. We were pleased with our visit.

The room was comfortable with a nice upholstered chair in addition to the desk chair, comfortable updated bedding and a comfortable mattress (it felt like it has a pillowtop). It felt more like a Comfort Inn and a step above most Sleep Inns. It was clean and the only complaint I have is with a slight odor each time we entered the room (not noticed after we were there a few minutes). It was a musty smell overlayed with the smell of a cleaner of some sort. They had been having a lot of rain in Jacksonville and this was a first floor room so that may have contributed to the odor. It was not bad enough to mention to the desk though. Perhaps a higher floor would not have a problem with that.

The staff was very friendly and there were cookies at the desk when we arrived. I was very happy that the establishment is smoke free and there was no danger of lingering smoke smell in the room.

The breakfast was really good. They had not only scrambled eggs but also boiled egg, and sausage. There was also the regulars - cereal, bagels, pastry, and a waffle machine. They also had yogurt and very tasty fruit cups. The woman in the dining area was nice too.

The hotel is located in a good spot and is very close to all sorts of shopping -- you could even walk to stores if you wished. The price of the room was very good as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear JoyfulWriter,

We sincerely appreciated the chance to have you as our guest at the Sleep Inn & Suites during your recent visit to the Jacksonville, NC area. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members with your very positive review regarding your stay here.

I am very pleased to know that our hotel and team exceeded your expectations while you were a guest here. We love being able to provide a 5-star worthy experience for all of our guests! I do apologize for the slight issue you had with the scent of your room at the entryway, but I am very glad to hear that this did not affect your stay here in any way. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your feedback.

I hope that you will be able to return again soon to our area. We look forward to welcoming you back for another superb visit to our Sleep Inn & Suites hotel. (And, of course, we'd also love for you to follow your gut instinct, and go ahead and award us that elusive 5th star on your next review; we don't mind being a "luxury Sleep Inn" at all!)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We come to visit our Marine son and new grandbaby very often and Sleep Inn is one of our favorite hotels, but this morning I was very disappointed. We got to the breakfast at 8:00 a.m. I got the last of the eggs, there was not meat, no yogurt, not fruit cups, no boiled eggs, not muffins, and not plain bagels. I did have the eggs and a piece of toast, but seven more people came in after us. I wonder what they eat???? I have never seen it like this before. The little old lady that is usually there and does a great job must have been off today. The young lady was ready to clean up and leave. She took the egg and meat container and cleaned it and never replenished it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leanne H
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Leanne H.,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members with your online review of the Sleep Inn & Suites of Jacksonville, NC. I am very pleased to know of your loyalty to our property and to the Sleep Inn family of hotels. It's great to hear that you've been satisfied with most of your visits to our hotel. We know how important it is for our military families to have a comfortable place to relax while visiting their Marines, and thank you to your son for his service to our country.

While we appreciate knowing the things that have pleased you, we also like to know where we could have improved. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with our hotel's breakfast bar. This is certainly not the type of experience we wish to provide for our guests and I will address this issues with our staff immediately. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that were caused by this situation. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments.

Thank you again for always choosing our hotel when you're in the Jacksonville area. I hope that you will continue to give us the opportunity to be your lodging provider here. We look forward to earning a 5-star review from you following your next stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I came to the races at Coastal Plains Raceway on May 25th, and spent the night at the Sleep Inn in Jacksonville, NC. I found the Sleep Inn to be very accommodating, and the stay enjoyable. The breakfast was very good. I would recommend this Sleep Inn.

Room Tip: My room was on the back side facing the woods, therefore, I didn't get any parking lot noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank yoemanrand
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear yoemanrand,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sleep Inn & Suites of Jacksonville, NC when you were in town visiting the Coastal Plains Raceway. I am very happy to hear that your stay at our hotel was a very good one.

It's great to know that you were satisfied with our staff, hotel, and amenities. I am glad that you enjoyed having a room on the back side of our hotel, and that you were not disturbed by any traffic noise. Thank you also for your comments regarding our complimentary hot breakfast bar and the high level of service that you received from our team members.

We strive to please all of our guests and sincerely appreciate your remarks. If there's anything we could do to earn a full 5-star review from you following your next stay here, please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Sleep Inn!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is in a great location if you are visiting the Marine Corps bases, and it's convenient to lots of restaurants close by. The front desk and breakfast personnel were very friendly and helpful.
The room was clean and spacious and it was great to have windows that opened. The problem is how thin the walls are. You hear all the goings-on in the hallways and in nearby rooms.
Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear mrs_chrism,

Thank you for reaching out to us following your recent visit to our hotel with a TripAdvisor hotel review. I am so happy to know that you were generally very satisfied with your visit to the Sleep Inn & Suites of Jacksonville, NC. We appreciate knowing that you found our hotel to be very clean and comfortable, that our staff provided a very high level of service during your stay, and that our location was convenient for visiting the local Marine Corps bases.

While we like hearing the things that pleased you, we also like to know where we can improve. I am very sorry that you were not pleased with the quietness of your guest room and that you were disturbed by the noise of other guests at our hotel. If you ever experience a problem of any sort during a future stay with us, please report it immediately and my staff will work to correct it for you.

We want all of our guests to be completely satisfied with every aspect of every stay at our hotel. Thank you for making such specific comments as to how we could have improved your particular visit to our hotel. I hope that you will be able to return again soon to the Jacksonville area. We look forward to having the chance to earn a 5-star review from you following your next stay with us!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here on business and was welcomed by a very pleasant woman upon check in. Room was incredibly clean and surprisingly spacious, bed was very comfortable. Close to many areas of shopping. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rxfiller
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear rxfiller,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Sleep Inn & Suites of Jacksonville, NC by filling out a TripAdvisor review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us and with others online is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Sleep Inn tradition. Thank you again for your comments.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Sleep Inn & Suites of Jacksonville, NC.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I used to stay at the Sleep Inn & Suites every time I visited Jacksonville. I still remember one of the receptionists who I sometimes visit when I go back! The rooms were always clean, they were always nice, and they helped out with reservations whenever it was needed. My only complaint is that they don't allow pets, and since we recently adopted a dog, we can no longer stay there on our visits. Otherwise, we'd go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked our stay at this particular hotel due to the pretty good reviews and because we have enjoyed staying at hotels in the Choice Hotels family in the past. As a frequent traveler, I have definitely stayed at worse but was not pleased with my stay at the Sleep Inn in Jacksonville.

Staff
The staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to be kind when entering/exiting the hotel, during check in, etc. Very friendly in that regard.

Room
The room wasn't horrible but I was definitely anticipating it to me more of a suite as shown in the pictures. The rooms looked quite a bit different than what is shown in the pictures online - I felt that the rooms were a lot more dated...the pictures are deceptive. I was also displeased with the overall quality of the room. We could not open the windows as they were severely off the track and furthermore would fall back down once we let go of them. The fixtures in the shower were very loose and were coming out of the wall. They boast free wifi and have many networks you can join but no one in our party could access it (we tried at different times throughout our stay) and we all gave up after trying to connect for 10 minutes. The AC also didn’t seem to work too well and when we had it on it smelled very musty and was noisy.

Sleep Factor
This Sleep Inn boasts that it is sleep/dream friendly, etc. The bed and pillows were awesome - extremely comfortable. Unfortunately we had one horrible nights sleep as the AC starting making an awful squeaking noise (think squeaky belts in your car) that actually woke me up. I changed the knobs around in an attempt to make the sound go away - this was at 4:30AM but it kept going. I considered reporting to the front desk at that time but decided that moving everything to another room in the middle of the night would have made getting back to sleep practically impossible. Eventually I had to shut off the AC and because the windows were broken we couldn't get any cool air inside the room so we were toasty. This was probably the worst sleep I have ever had at a hotel, which was ironic given the attention this company claims to pay to the sleep factor.

Cleanliness
Overall, the hotel is pretty clean. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for our room. There was hair in the shower when we walked into the room. There was also around stain (1-2" in diameter) on the comforter - that was particularly disgusting. Also, general nastiness on the floor to the point where I felt dirty just walking around barefoot.

Breakfast
Actually wasn't horrible - fruit, bagels, muffins, toast, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, sausage, etc. We were full after eating it and didn't get sick.

Overall
A below average stay - just a lot of little things that added up, none that were too problematic on their own (with the exception of the big problem with the AC), but when you looked at the totality of the circumstances, the bad outweighed the good in my book so I cannot recommend this hotel. We will not be back next time we are in the area. There are far too many other hotels competitively priced to chance suffering through another sleepless night like I had at this particular hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Liz V, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear C L,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Sleep Inn & Suites - Jacksonville, NC by filling out a property survey. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

We appreciate knowing the things that please you as well as those areas that need our attention. It is our goal to provide the high quality standards you have become accustomed to from the Sleep Inn brand. I was sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with multiple aspects of your stay with us. If you would like to discuss any of these issues in further detail, I invite you to contact me directly at (910) 478-0099 or gm.nc380@choicehotels.com. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments.

With your input, we can constantly monitor and change our product to maintain the high standards of quality and performance that have become a Sleep Inn tradition.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Sleep Inn & Suites - Jacksonville, NC.