“yummy DDD.”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We heard about this on food network so we decided to try it out. We had the sausage sampler and potato soup. Everything we had was tasty. We would return our next time oin the OBX!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

After saying we were going to stop in after seeing it on the Food Network, we took a day and drove down from Virginia. I was so excited to take my husband, the German beer and brat enthusiast, to a place that made things the old fashioned German way. Knowing I have a difficult and rare food allergy I emailed the restaurant several days before our day trip to check on ingredients. By the time we had left for the day I had not received a response, but felt at ease because they prided themselves on using only fresh ingredients and making everything on site, so we ventured there with hope for an awesome meal. When we arrived I immediately told our server of my allergy and asked for an ingredient list, for which they did not have. So I wrote down my allergy, gave her a couple of selections to check and waited happily. Luckily the restaurant was not very busy at all. She returned to say they could not check the ingredients and the chef recommended a salad. I questioned her as to how it was not possible to know what is in the bread or breading of any of the items. And she seemed puzzled. She returned to the kitchen to investigate further, and ended up sending the acting manager over, who stated the same thing that they could not tell what the ingredients are because things come in big boxes and they throw them out (all natural, really). She even told us that they had to turn a family away a few days earlier because their child had a peanut allergy and they couldn't guarantee them a safe meal. I asked her if she was aware of the FDA regulations for food allergies and she did not. More people than not have food allergies these days and if big chains like, Panera Bread, Chipotles, and others can provide an ingredient list, why can't a single restaurant with a limited menu do the same? My guess, they do not care about customer service and catering to all who come in their doors, making them discriminatory and snobby. I left the restaurant in tears and we drove back to Virginia and ate at a restaurant that cares about their patrons. What a shame a great day had to end with a smack in the face that I am different and should just eat salads instead of enjoying good food with my family. The worst part, my children had to witness this and again see how unaccommodating the world can really be.

4  Thank Tracie D
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I live in Suffolk, VA and my family has been by this place many times on the way to Nags Head, NC and always say next time we'll have to make time to stop by and try that place. Well we saw this place on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and we were impressed with the local grown and everything made in-house (or it appeared that way). My wife has a weird food allergy and emailed the staff a few days before my birthday to see if it was safe for her to eat there with no response. We decided that since everything is made fresh there on site (or it appeared that way on the show) we would go with the kids and give it a shot for my birthday dinner. My wife is allergic to soy lecithin which can be in just about anything, but in most cases (not all) we have been able to read labels or talk to the chef if they truly are aware of what they served. No such luck here. My wife was told after the wait staff deliberated with the chef that they recommend her ordering a salad because they don't know what’s in the food. We heard many excuses and were told the bread crumbs come in big boxes and then thrown away so they can't verify the ingredients, the two breads they offer have soy lecithin in it which means it's not fresh made daily, the meat is off limits because the chef doesn't know what's in it, the oil is blended and can't be verified, and on and on. It was demoralizing to my wife to be told to eat a salad. We've had better luck at chain restaurants than this locally grown and made fresh on-site eatery. Worst experience ever and this isn’t the only place we've found that my wife can't eat in, but very disappointed with the lack of food knowledge. We drove back to Suffolk and ate at a place that serves fresh food along the way... Warriors Mongolian Grill in Chesapeake.

3  Thank John F
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This visit to The Weeping Radish was my husband's and my second and my mothers first. I was really pleased she liked the food as well as we did.
My Husband can't seem to veer away from the Ruben sandwich. I ordered the sausage plate with my pick of 3 or 4 sausages. We also got fried green tomatoes and an order of liverwurst pate'. My mom got the Ruben sandwich as well. We enjoyed all of our selections. Everything was delicious!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great German food with a southern twist offering fried pickles and fried green tomatoes alongside the bratwurst and humungous burgers. Beer flights are tasty, wait staff is friendly.