“This facility closed in 2013”
Review of J & J Chop House - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Jefferson, NC
“This facility closed in 2013”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Was a lovely idea however this market will not support a place that charges $$ for little good food. When they first opened they were above average but that quickly changed. It was no surprise to anyone that it finally said bye bye.

• Visited September 2013

San Diego, California
“Great changes here.”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I have been looking for a place to call "ours" for our rare nights out, and hadn't been to JJ Chophouse in over 2 years. We were pleasantly surprised by the changes made all around.

We were greeted at the door by a wonderful waitress (I can only assume she doubles as the hostess), and promptly seated/asked about drink orders. I started with a crab cake appetizer, which was deliciously seasoned, just a tiny bit spicy. My wife insisted on the Calamari, and while it wasn't the best we've had, it was certainly amazing for a mountain town.

We followed up with a few glasses of wine, and our entrees arrived about 20 minutes after we were initially seated. I ordered the largest Filet Mignon cut offered (I believe it was 11 ounces), and was amazed to find it was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and the cabernet mushrooms that accompanied it were simply divine. My wife ordered the house special Salmon, and enjoyed it, but I can't remember what she said, as she was drunkenly rambling after too many glasses of wine (this points to the nice selection available).

Overall, as a second visit to this restaurant, I was very pleased. Greatly helped to un-sour the first experience we had here years ago. It's rare to see a restaurant that can take the mass of problems they had and find a happy medium. Well done.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Louis S
Lexington, North Carolina
“Classic steakhouse with great service.”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Despite a few negative reviews, my husband and I decides to try it. We are so glad we did. We had the cowboy ribeye and it was cooked perfect. The wedge salad with local bib lettuce and bacon vinegarete was so good. Our waitress was excellent. Even though we were splitting she made sure we had plenty. The old house makes a good atmosphere. We would highly recommend giving this place a try.

• Visited October 2013
“Huge disappointment, waste of time and money.”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We went to J & J Chop House for dinner with friends but after seeing the limited menu we decided on an appetizer, two small draft beers, two waters and one fried green tomato appetizer. The whole experience was a disaster with the keg blowing out, the green tomato was tasteless and the bill was 19.49!!!! Don't go!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
North Carolina
“Great food! Great service!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Ate here when the restaurant opened years ago and was not very impressed. I saw they had a new chef and new menu and thought I'd give it another go. My hubby and I were VERY impressed! Fresh angus cheese burger made with local beef and ashe co. cheese. Lobster bisque was perfect! A bit on the expensive side ($8 for the burger and one side), but totally worth it for a special lunch out.

• Visited August 2013