“Great location, great value!”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
ashland, ky
“Great location, great value!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The room opened up right onto ocean sand, what more can you ask for? Clean, everything worked, and staff was helpful. I'd deflinitely stay again!

Room Tip: Go for oceanfront, definitely worth it!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I'm from the area but my friends hadn't been in years so we decided to take a quick overnight trip. This hotel was an excellent choice. The back porches on the ocean front rooms are perfect for the location -- when I go to the beach I want to relax and I definitely got a chance to. The staff was incredibly accommodating (I had left the card I booked with at home accidentally) and their pet policy doesn't have breed restrictions, which I was concerned about (we brought along one very excited and well behaved pit bull). In fact, I took the dog in to check out with me and the front desk attendant loved her! I booked through Priceline and my only complaint was that they didn't offer to let me pay the pet fee through them. It's $20 + tax and a bed fee, working out to $22.35. Our door was a little hard to keep shut without a dead bolt and the room could use a few updates (repainting, better pillows, maybe screen doors for the outside door so you could leave it open to enjoy the sounds of the Atlantic?) but overall, it was a good choice. When we come back for warmer weather, we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Grandville, Michigan
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The location & reasonable pricing at the John Yancey Inn is what attracted us to select this Inn. The John Yancy Inn is actually housed in three separate structures; the Sea Building, Four Seasons Building and the Main Building. We stayed in the Four Seasons building. Room was in adequate repair and clean. The grounds at the John Yancey Inn provide recreational facilities for families: an outdoor heated swimming pool, a kiddie pool, a playground and a picnic area with barbecue grills. The resort also offers laundry facilities, a complimentary Continental breakfast in the lobby/front desk area and ice/vending machines.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the Four Season building, it seemed the newest, quietest and offered in...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was alittle hesitant to book the room since it wasn't part of a big chain, at least not one that I know. However I thought it was very nice and would stay again in the future.

We stayed in the tower building, forgot the name already. We got the cheapest standard room. We were on our way south to Hatteras so we only stayed 1 night. The room was a nice size with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The pillows were really a small square, but ended up being very comfortable as were the beds. You could see the ocean from our balcony which was nice. They even have a little playground for kids and picnic tables. No problem with parking which is nice. Plenty of spaces. If we were staying longer I definitely would have gotten the Ocean view room.

Unfortunately we checked out very early in the morning so we didn't try the breakfast.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

The best part was the hotel is across the street from Kill Devil Grill. If you stay at the John Yancey definitely eat at Kill Devil Grill. They have the BEST Key Lime Pie. See my review for them seperately.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get the oceanview room.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I agree with most other timely comments - the property is dated, probably was nice 30 years ago and reminded me of the 2-story motels dotting most ocean towns during the 1960s. Wifi was supposedly available, but wouldn't very well for us. We had a bottom floor room in the Four Seasons building - which was oceanfront, but the view of the ocean was blocked by the sand dunes. Unlike some of the other comments who somehow only paid $80-90 for their rooms, we booked online on their website and paid $179/night. Definitely not worth this price - should have been more like $69-79 equivalent. However, this was the cheapest priced room I could find - the others mentioned were up to $280/night. The property was okay overall, and they offer complimentary breakfast; and being a few steps away from the ocean was extremely nice. Negative - as someone else mentioned, you had to lug your suitcases up 6 steps at the building entrance; it was tough to do.

Room Tip: Make sure to NOT be assigned a 1st floor room in the Four Seasons building if possible - blocked vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Littleton, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were in room #523. Room was clean and linens were good. This is an older hotel but it seems like the owner is in the process of making some repairs. Had issue with toilet not cutting off but it was addressed and taken care of the same day. Great access to the beach. Continental breakfast was on par with other hotels where we have stayed. Every staff person we came in contact with was helpful and friendly! We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for nonsmoking room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda G
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2011

August 11-14, 2011 we stayed at this hotel because it appeared to be in the center of the Outer Banks area. Cleanliness was so, so, glad I always carry Lysol with me. Old property, we stayed in the beach front room on the third floor. Stair covers coming off steps and the elevator was slow. To get into the building you must carry your suitcases up 6 stairs in the front or 3 stairs at the side entrance. The price was okay but in the future I would choose the Days Inn & Suites or the Hilton Garden Inn which are much better choice for the money. Would not stay here again. Others staying at hotel were a little on the rough looking side.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 2011judi

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!