“Great view and that's all! Gross!”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I went against my better judgement and decided to take my family to this inn. The only draw was the ocean front room that opened right out into the sandy beach. We booked the ocean front, N/S, pet friendly room in the sea building. We really did love the view and the beach access which helped us to overlook the mold/mildew smell and the run down look. But things went down from there. The smell got worse as the day ended. The air conditioner didn't appear to be completely attached to the wall. The main entrance door had gaps that let in light. The lamp shade has burn holes that seemed to be from a too bright bulb. Then we realized that the door to the beach didn't have a dead bolt. Only the door knob part locked and most people know how to open one of those with a credit card. We called the front office and someone came and looked at it and told us that they couldn't do anything until the maintenance man arrived the next day. He said we would be fine. Maintenance man did arrive and fix the dead bolt the next day. THEN some vacationers arrived to the room above us. We could hear every step they took and it was loud. We could not sleep and finally called the front desk. After 1:00am some of the noise settled down only to start before 7:00am the next morning. We decided to go for the continental breakfast the next morning. It might be better during busy season but it was sad during mid season. Prewrapped bagels, Little Debbies cinnamon rolls, a few packaged muffins and some fruit along with coffee was placed on a small table and the lobby coffee table. No juice, no tables to eat on, no room to move. I decided to take a moment and speak with the manager about my concerns. She said the hotel was old so we would just have to deal with the noise and as for the smell, well she didn't believe me because she checks the rooms every weekend herself! She told us the dead bolt would be fixed but the rest was part of the deal.
The air conditioner next door was falling apart, and the people upstairs were throwing food down over the balcony for the sea gulls. We had chips and bread covering our access to the beach. The people walking in the exterior hallway to the room were loud and even teenagers knocked on the door. It does look like they threw some updated carpet down and added some newer bedding. The pillows are throw sized but you get 3 per bed. We were given 3 towels and wash cloths for 4 people. I asked for more and did receive ONE more.
I do not recommend this hotel for anyone but particularly for those with mold/mildew allergies.
The beds were fairly comfortable. Expect rusty doors, windows, air conditioner, dirty walls and lots of NOISE! Please think twice before staying here. The management really doesn't seem concerned with my complaints hence the reason for posting to Trip Advisor. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and I rate this as my second worst hotel experience EVER! Photos to come.

Room Tip: The price of the rooms go up about $30/night if they are selling a lot of rooms. Choose an upstairs...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TraciandChad

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Had a room on the first floor opening to the beach. I had to walk only about 5 meters out of my room to be at the beach....=)
The room itself was clean, everthing worked fine....firendly staff...

I would stay there again

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed two nights in a ground-floor, oceanfront room. Great access to the beach with a tiny porch in front of your the; main entry door off an open hallway. Had to take a pet-friendly room if I wanted a bargain oceanfront room so maybe that's why the carpet and chair upholstery were full of spots and stains. And since dogs surf the ocean, not the web, maybe that's why the wifi never worked, signal was too weak. One more dog comment: the unleashed one next door came charging over at me when I stepped onto my porch, very unnerving. Seemed noisy with hall traffic and when there are children on the floor above, you'll hear the constant pattering of feet. (Why did I ever leave the Cavalier?!) Positives: nice microwave and fridge, older but clean, ceramic tile in foyer and bath and great ocean access.

Room Tip: First floor easy beach access, but have to put up with noise from floor above.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The room opened up right onto ocean sand, what more can you ask for? Clean, everything worked, and staff was helpful. I'd deflinitely stay again!

Room Tip: Go for oceanfront, definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I'm from the area but my friends hadn't been in years so we decided to take a quick overnight trip. This hotel was an excellent choice. The back porches on the ocean front rooms are perfect for the location -- when I go to the beach I want to relax and I definitely got a chance to. The staff was incredibly accommodating (I had left the card I booked with at home accidentally) and their pet policy doesn't have breed restrictions, which I was concerned about (we brought along one very excited and well behaved pit bull). In fact, I took the dog in to check out with me and the front desk attendant loved her! I booked through Priceline and my only complaint was that they didn't offer to let me pay the pet fee through them. It's $20 + tax and a bed fee, working out to $22.35. Our door was a little hard to keep shut without a dead bolt and the room could use a few updates (repainting, better pillows, maybe screen doors for the outside door so you could leave it open to enjoy the sounds of the Atlantic?) but overall, it was a good choice. When we come back for warmer weather, we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The location & reasonable pricing at the John Yancey Inn is what attracted us to select this Inn. The John Yancy Inn is actually housed in three separate structures; the Sea Building, Four Seasons Building and the Main Building. We stayed in the Four Seasons building. Room was in adequate repair and clean. The grounds at the John Yancey Inn provide recreational facilities for families: an outdoor heated swimming pool, a kiddie pool, a playground and a picnic area with barbecue grills. The resort also offers laundry facilities, a complimentary Continental breakfast in the lobby/front desk area and ice/vending machines.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the Four Season building, it seemed the newest, quietest and offered in...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was alittle hesitant to book the room since it wasn't part of a big chain, at least not one that I know. However I thought it was very nice and would stay again in the future.

We stayed in the tower building, forgot the name already. We got the cheapest standard room. We were on our way south to Hatteras so we only stayed 1 night. The room was a nice size with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The pillows were really a small square, but ended up being very comfortable as were the beds. You could see the ocean from our balcony which was nice. They even have a little playground for kids and picnic tables. No problem with parking which is nice. Plenty of spaces. If we were staying longer I definitely would have gotten the Ocean view room.

Unfortunately we checked out very early in the morning so we didn't try the breakfast.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

The best part was the hotel is across the street from Kill Devil Grill. If you stay at the John Yancey definitely eat at Kill Devil Grill. They have the BEST Key Lime Pie. See my review for them seperately.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get the oceanview room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!