“Great location for the price!”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We booked a room in the tower building (I think that's non-pet section), and although our room was great, the building was still undergoing some renovations, which was a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. But the room had a great little kitchenette, was clean, and we had great service overall. One of my favorite things about the hotel was it's proximity to the beach, restaurants, and a great sidewalk that began less than a block away, which made my morning runs that much easier. We were close to tortuga (our favorite restaurant) and we had access to a grill....what more could you ask for. I was a little frustrated when, on our last morning, I found out that they had a free mini breakfast in the office, I don't remember them telling us that when we first checked in. Overall, a great value! We'll definitely be staying here again.

2  Thank idab908

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Never stayed in a motel as bad as this one! First room w declined because of filth and strong mold/mildew smell. The second room was better although I still wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. Overpriced and under kept! Best to sleep in you vehicle.

2  Thank marmang
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was told they had just renovated, but the rooms, hallways, etc. were still under construction. You can get a far better place to stay for the same amount of money. It's very shabby.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank RMWNC
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked a very poor room at a local motel. I was able to get my money back. I tried to rebook at other hotels but all were full. There was a softball tournament in town. I called this place and got the last available room. I probably would not make this my first pick, but I really enjoyed my stay. The room was worn, but very clean, with possibly one of the best showers I have ever taken at a hotel. They provide a continental breakfast and have a coffee maker/ microwave and dishwasher in the room. There is a laundry matt and vending machines on site, as well as easy beach access. We took a 4 mile walk on the beach, it was awesome. The staff was very friendly and over all I had a great time. We only stayed one night and moved into our beach house rental the next day. I would stay here again in the future.

1  Thank BobK542
Reviewed 8 May 2012

It's right on the beach and it allows my dog. It's not the Ritz, but rooms are well maintained for a Quality Inn that's Oceanside. Microwave & fridge in every room are great. Weekends yummy waffles for breakfast.

2  Thank MEL12111
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I purely dislike giving bad reviews, but there was little I could draw out of the John Yancey except of the fact that it is one of the few hotels on the Outer Banks which allow pets. If you decide to stay here, do it for the love of your furry friend, and the pleasure of watching them enjoy the sand and surf. Our Boston Terriers had a blast on the beach!!!!

The folks at the front desk were kind and very welcoming, and I will give them good marks on their service at check in.

This is our second stay with the John Yancey, and the last. Although there are claims that some remodeling is being done....I just don't see it. The focus of any major improvements appears to be cosmetic in nature, solely for curb appeal. New beachfront deck, and some landscaping around the pool area.

We stayed in an oceanfront room and yes the location and views are very nice. From what I could tell the only remodeling improvement which had been done to the room was that the carpet appeared to be newer, and possibly a fresh coat of paint. The heating/cooling units are well aged, noisy, and the smell from the unit in our room was so bad we ultimately decided to turn it off completely. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, which in tight quarters can at times, be unpleasant~ if you know what I mean. Expect ambient noise from neighboring rooms, and loud hallway noise as soundproofing did not exist when this hotel was built. They have moved the breakfast area (which used to be in a fairly large gathering area in another portion of the hotel) to the lobby, which now is very limited in size and rather uninviting. Coffee and cellophane wrapped pastries are the extent of you complimentary breakfast.

Considering our visit was during off-season the rates for what we paid seemed high given the overall condition of the facility.

Room Tip: Keep looking
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John P
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed here on April 7th while heading down to Hatteras island. We loved our oceanfront room, a tough thing to find when traveling with pets. Great time just sitting outside the room and looking at the water. Hotel is clean and they are still renovating some areas. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to going back in the fall.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MTKbound
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
#17 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!