“Don't go there”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Bangor, Maine
“Don't go there”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Do not believe the online photos ....the place is very run down. The breakfast is limited and the breakfast room quite unpleasant. The pool is small and shabby looking. Read the fine print....if, due to an emergency, you need to leave prior to your ordinal check out date, they will not refund any money, but will charge you for the time you stayed and give you a credit for a stay there to be used in the next six months. I do NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maryann R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I've stayed in a lot of motels in the outer banks and this one ranks low. I paid $123.00 to stay here in late May. The chairs in the room were wet. And the shower still had wet towels in it. The door had gaps around the frame. I was on the first floor and the curtain didn't close all the way, I had to shut it in the door to get some privacy. My dog didn't even want to go in the room. The motel offered a free breakfast but it was all empty when I got there. I wouldn't stay here again. The only positive comment I have is the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a second floor room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mustanggrl92

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Meyersdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our room had two double beds with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was a clean, average size room that served it's purpose. It had a balcony on the ocean side with a sliding glass door. It is an older hotel and does have some wear and tear to it, but no more than any other place I've ever stayed at the beach. The staff were excellent. They were friendly and happy and professional. The continental breakfast was above average with many choices from make-your-own waffles to fruit. This is one of the cheapest beach front hotels around, and for the money, you cannot beat the amenities: swimming pool, direct beach access, on-site-laundry, picnic tables and grills, and 24 hour in coffee service in the lobby. This place is worth a visit and I will return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Travis S
Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you look at my more critical reviews on Tripadvisor, you may not understand this review. I am compelled to write because of the negative raps that this motel gets. For the past 7 years, we have stayed here for one or two nights before our week at a house in Duck. We very much enjoy this reasonably priced motel that allows pets. This motel reminds me of my old family trips to Wildwood, NJ or Ocean City, MD. It is your typical east coast shore motel. It is clean and has very good ocean access and parking. The same staff has been there every year that we have been there. I don't expect any more than I get...a nice family style beach motel. It has the playground, the pool, the grills, the picnic tables and a place to walk the dog. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. It is not pretentious...just a nice down home, good value shore motel. I am sorry more people don't appreciate it. I would rather not write this review for fear that the prices will go up and the vacancy will go down; but, that would be selfish of me.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank PJWallyrock
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback. We agree! We aim to offer that independent, unique Outer Banks hotel experience with clean, affordable (yes, pet friendly), rooms with superior beach access and all the hotel amenities one needs.

We look forward to having you back the Yancey, as we continue to look for ways to improve our guest experience. This includes future plans to replace the remaining older TVs with new flatscreens, new mattresses, and other property improvements.
Henderson, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Access to the ocean and other activities was good. Room was not so good. The sliding glass door was in need of repair and not easy to open or close. The door to the room had a wide enough gap around it that light came in on all four sides. The hot water in the shower was very difficult to control. The beds were comfortable, and the free breakfast was okay. The condition of the room did not equate to the high cost of the room. The pool was small given the size of the facility. We got to the hotel about three hours before check-in time. When I checked to see if the room was ready, I was informed that it was. We were told we could go ahead and take it for an additional $50 charge. I thought that was rather extravagant, but since we were tired from our journey, I went ahead and paid it. I don't think the room warranted an additional $50 for early check-in. Would I stay there again? Seriously doubt it.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you are renting before you take it. Make sure that the sliding glass door works...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
knoxville,tn
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just returned from our long weekend in Kill Devil Hills. This was a very quaint place to stay, no long waits for elevators that were overstuffed. We were in the ocean front building and it was great. Quiet complex, very family friendly. Our second floor room was perfect, will definitely plan ahead and get the first floor with direct sand access next time. We were very sad to leave and look forward to our next visit with John Yancey and Kill Devil Hills!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chsny07
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Check in was not handled very efficiently. The person handling our check in was more concerned with handling people that were calling about future reservations. It was late at night and we just wanted to get checked in and had to wait 15+ minutes while he continually took and handled the calls rather than dealing with the people who were waiting in line. The room was clean and comfortable and the location was great!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!