“Great Location- Will def stay again!”

Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We decided to stop at Nags Head on a whim on our way home from our family vacation. So glad we did! I found this hotel on my smartphone and got a room right away at a great price. The hotel maybe seems a little dated, but very clean and friendly staff. The girl at the front desk gave us lots of suggestions on things to do in the area (there's a lot!) The best part though was the location, right on the beach and very quiet! In the morning when my husband was out swimming, a dolphin jumped out of the water just a couple yards from him. Wish could have stayed more than one night, will definitely go back and stay longer next time!

1  Thank cotijo
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2011

We are glad that you found us while driving home from your vacation. Maybe next time you’ll come and stay for the entire week! Yes, the dolphins are often swimming nearby and very beautiful to watch. As you said there is A LOT to do in the Outer Banks, and combined with our oceanfront location, indoor pool and restaurant/bar, a great place to have fun. Please come back again soon & also become a fan on our Facebook Page!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel, and my fiance' and I were in for a treat! The front desk staff was so rude to guests over the phone and in person. While we were checking in the phone rang and the gentleman assisting us stated to us, "people keep freaking calling" There was another lady working behind the counter who agreed with him and they continued to hold a conversation bashing guests, and other colleagues that for one reason or another decided not to show up at work in front of us like we were not there. There were about 8 guests in line waiting to be checked in; as we all looked around at each other in confusion at this bizarre act. We wanted to ask questions about the area and local dining but decided we didn't want what the last guests got. This property is oceanfront so I guess along with updating the property they also don't feel the need to provide customer service. I rated the property average because it is oceanfront, but if it were not the ownership group would be better off to burn it down and collect the insurance check. One other issue I had with the property was the breakfast. We decided to eat breakfast at the hotel. For about $14 dollars a person we dined on processed bacon that our waitress advised us they cooked enough for the entire day at about 5:30am (by now it's 10:30am) So I traded the bacon out for sausage, and it was worse! Never have I ever tasted such poor quality of food in my life. The sausage was nothing more than a sleeve of fat minus the meat. What an experience that was, it felt more like we were inside the set of a comedy movie. I mean really, who does this?

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay and your observations of the front desk staff. Please know that we will be looking into what occurred during your check-in process and rectify for future guests. We normally get great reviews about the restaurant food and service so we’ll also be researching your experiences there as well.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

For the cost of our stay, one would expect a very nice and pleasant hotel! This Ramada was far from it! The Hotel is very dirty and so are the rooms. Lets see, while asleep, the picture above the bed fell off the wall, was put back up by staff and fell again. The shower was filthy, moldy and I much rather would have taken a shower outside under the faucet with a water hose. The shower rod, if you call it that, was falling down and barely hanging on by a screw. Oh, and this was a "newly remodeled room", WOW, would hate to see the old ones! For our entire stay, I barely saw the first step of the swimming pool, much less the bottom! It was cloudy and green the whole week! The internet worked one and a half days for the entire week. Balcony railings are rusty and loose, be careful! This trip was very expensive and not worth half of what I paid. When explaining the problems to the hotel staff, as usual, they stated they would pass on the problems and have them corrected. Well, we know how that goes, they really had the "I don't care attitude". Don't waste your time.....or money!
Corey C. Shoaf
336-240-2149

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarMix44

Your review rating and feedback of your experience while staying at our oceanfront hotel is very alarming. That is not the type of Outer Banks vacation and memories we want you to leave with as we strive to provide trouble free relaxing accommodations. We will definitely be looking into what occurred during your stay and rectify immediately. Thanks for the information and we’ll be sure to correct for future stays.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

The hotel is very clean. Staff works around the clock cleaning and caring for the property. Oceanview room was awesome. Brought my 13yr old daughter & her friend. Was able to give them some freedom because of all the different hang out spots at the hotel. Several levels of decking, swings, picnic tables by swings, seating throughout the hotel. Very nice. They loved it. Very safe environment. Hotel has complimentary washer & dryer & they also supply liquid detergent. Even though they provide towels by the pool, we brought our own towels for the beach. Nice to be able to throw in the washer. Pool was clean but would get cloudy due to guests jumping in without using the outdoor shower & foot sprayer to clean off the sand from the beach. The fridge in the room worked great & was large enough to hold everything I needed. Milk, 3 bottles of soda, almost a whole case of bottled water and breakfast & lunch foods. There is a cabinet over the microwave for other foods as well. This is a pet friendly hotel which I was a little worried about, however they stay on the first floor and to my surprise the grounds were very clean. No sign of doggie droppings anywhere not even on the beach. You can rent beach chairs & umbrella's from the hotel. We brought our own chairs but rented the umbrella every day for $8.00. They even set it in the sand for you and come back for it when you are done. I would recommend getting one. The sand gets very very hot. There is a pizza place right across the street called American Pie, it was good and they also make homemade ice cream-very good too. The restaurant at the hotel makes great breakfast, good burgers & sandwiches. My husband thought the dinner portions were a bit small for the price. Awful Arthurs & The Western Sizzlin were good places to eat. The sun rises between 530 & 6 am. We watched it every morning. Beautiful. The sun sets on the bayside so you can not see that from this hotel. Bring binoculars if you have them. Dolphins swim up & down the shore line every day.Fun to watch. Hope this is helpful to some. I was very happy here and already planning to go back next summer.

2  Thank Ddeangel
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thanks so very much for your comprehensive description of our Ramada oceanfront hotel and all the surrounding fun things to see & do. It appears you and the family had a great time and we are thrilled that you will be coming back for more Outer Banks memories. We’ll be waiting for you! Please be sure to tell your friends about us and also become our “Fan” on Facebook to be sure to keep in touch.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed on the street side and it was way too noisy. There were also people coming off the elevator making noise until 2 in the morning.

Beach was great. We were also supposed to have adjoining rooms, but were three rooms apart.

• Stayed: July 2011
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thank you for response and candid feedback. We value what guests have to say and always try to improve our service and amenities. We are sorry that there was unusually high noise from the street/parking lot during your stay. Despite that, we hope you were able to enjoy our many oceanfront amenities (pool, sprawling deck sitting areas, deck bar & restaurant).

Reviewed 16 July 2011

I was somewhat hesitant about staying here after reading some of the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Of course the bird in the lobby was there to greet us, pretty cool touch! Im not sure what odor people are talking about when they get to the lobby because I couldnt smell anything. Sure the lobby was a little dated but was still nice and the staff went out of their way to help us and other guests. We were on the 2nd level street view and the room was perfect. Comfy and clean. The cleaning staff cleaned the room daily and made sure everything was stocked. I especially like the fact that they leave a note on your bed about being environmentally friendly and its the guests option whether or not they want the sheets changed out each day. The free wi-fi was a little slow but when you have a hotel full of people using it that is to be expected. With all the people staying here I was expecting it to be loud but I barely heard any noise from our room. The pool was wonderful and was a great way to cool down after coming back from the beach. The different deck areas were great and the location right on the beach was fantastic. My only gripe would be that there isnt enough parking during the weekend. This is my 2nd night here and I only have 1 night left and I dont want to leave! If you are looking for a hotel right on the beach for a reasonable price this is the place!

1  Thank tonkietoots

We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself while at our hotel and took the time to submit a review. We take pride in making out guests feel comfortable and I was happy to hear that even upon your arrival “Sabrina” welcomed you in the lobby. I’m sure from your Oceanside room you noticed the beautiful beaches of the Outer Banks and all the wildlife in the area. We strive to help the environment (and our planet) by being eco-friendly as much as we can and we thank you for noticing our attempts! We would love to have to visit us again, so please ‘become a fan’ on our Facebook Page to keep in touch with all the specials and activities we have going on. Continue to have an awesome summer!

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at the Ramada over the 4th of July weekend. I loved the proximity to the beach. We paid a low $25/night pet fee for our dog. The room was clean upon arrival and house keeping was very accommodating when we would call for extra towels or to have the trash emptied. The hotel is a short drive to Harris Teeter. I highly recommend walk to Mama Kwans for dinner.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2011

Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. We value your feedback and are happy we could may your stay more enjoyable. We believe pets are part of the family, so we’re glad you brought along your dog. Please come visit us again, and be sure to share a photo or two of your vacation with us on Facebook! Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!