“Good custard”

Kill Devil's Frozen Custard & Beach Fries
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Takeout
Description: A family friendly restaurant where everything is prepared to order including our award winning frozen custard treats .We make it fresh hourly. We also have Juicy Better Burgers , Fresh cut Beach fries , all beef Hotdogs ,N.C. Pulled Pork or Chicken BBQ , and Veggie Burgers .Celebrating our 15th year .
“Good custard”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Only place we visited for a cold treat. Only because of the reviews, but it was just like everyone said. It was very good!

WV
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My wife joked that she wanted ice cream for dinner so after reading a bit this place sounded like it had great custard and a great burger. Perfect for a low key dinner. The burger was phenomenal and exceeded all expectations. One of those burgers that is so good it needs no condiments. Got a basket of fries to share and they were very good. Last, Dreamsicle was the custard flavor of the day and it was outstanding. Seating is outside picnic table style. And the line fluctuated the entire time we were there but there was always a line. We were lucky enough to be fourth when we arrived but within a few minutes the line had grown to about 20 people behind us. They seem to know what they are doing though as everything moves quickly. Well worth the drive down from Corolla.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Best ice cream ever”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We went there 3x in a five day visit.....absolutely the best ice cream in OBX, if not the world! Get a punch card for free ice cream!

1 Thank Powells8
Rock Creek, WV
“A must at the OBX!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Absolute best custard I have ever eaten! We visited this place nearly every day of our stay and was never disappointed. Their burgers and fries are excellent too, but the custard is out of this world!

Germany
“I'm a Pig. I'm okay with that.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Sometimes I let you all get inside my head. My life revolves around, "I need to eat healthy!?" I can't have you telling me what to do all the time! I need to branch out! Try new things! I need to be free to be me!!!
Whew! Okay. So, I was torn about going to KD's Frozen Custard & Beach Fries. I'm glad I ignored you like I ignore telemarketers, because this joint was bangin'!!
My family and I arrived after a pretty gnarly rain storm passed over the island. We pulled into the parking lot and, seeing only the outside picnic-style tables, parked and put it in reverse to leave. I said, "Why wouldn't they have indoor seating?" Just then a friendly family from WV pulled up right next to us and I asked Bubba, "Do they have seating in there?" "Yep! Right inside," he answered in his friendly southern drawl. SWEET!!! Frozen custard for moi!! Oh, and my family too!
We mosied on up to the counter and ordered a Kill Devil Burger for the big guy (which is essentially your ticket to hell on the Glutton Train), and three KD's Better Burgers for me and the Twinks. We ordered them a regular fry and chili cheese fries for us, because we pay the doggone bills, okay? We each got a soda as well. Our total (for dinner) came to roughly $40. Our meals were delivered quickly and man, oh, man!!! That was some good eating.
The burgers tasted like that burger your Mom used to fry up in the pan that made you mad because it wasn't a McDonald's burger. It was good. Really, it was so good that I just said "good" three times in two sentences. The chili cheese fries were yummy as well, although it seemed to have too much mustard or ground mustard in the chili for my liking. It was still better than a lot of the chili's I've had, so I highly recommend.
So let's cut to the chase. We went to KD's to eat the frozen custard. I totally respect the reviews of the Wisconsinites in the house. You may very well have the market cornered on legit frozen custard. Since I'm a Yankee, I couldn't care less about authentic frozen custard so this custard was the bomb! The brownie was nice and fudgy, exploding with great chocolate flavor. Perfect REAL whipped cream and hot fudge. I had to be a good wife and share my brownie sundae with vanilla frozen custard with my hubby. But you best believe I made sure my elbow was gut checking him when he got a little too spoon happy. The kiddos got a cone each of chocolate and vanilla and couldn't finish them. Lightweights. THAT total came to $12.
Did we just pay $52 bucks for dinner and dessert at a beach burger shack? Yep. Do I care? Nope. Because it was THAT good. The only thing I'd change is more seating and clean up the tables a little better. Other than that, keep it up!

• Visited June 2014