“Great Location and Staff”

Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The front desk staff were very nice and the room was clean. The other pluses are that it is right on the beach and is centrally located to most restaurants and attractions in OBX. Also, there is a pool, and a microwave, coffee maker and refrigerator in the room. The price was a little high but I can't complain because it was a last minute booking and on a holiday weekend. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input as they are important to us and we want to always look at the perspective of our guest. Safe travels and we hope to see you soon. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

This was our first time in a Quality Inn hotel and we weren't impressed with the room. It had a funny smell which we contributed to the carpet which had a couple of large stains in it. The room was an average size with a small bathroom. It did have a nice size TV, coffee maker and refrigerator which was adequate. The rooms could use an update as they were a little outdated. They did provide a breakfast which was OK, could of used a few more choices. Not sure how many people like biscuits and gravy?? On a good note, the staff was very friendly and the hotel was close to the beach. The price for the room was not worth it to me.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input and hope that we can be of service to you in the near future. Safe Travels

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I asked my husband what was good about this hotel and he said, "The weather was lovely". LOL The ocean was superb. The beach was hard to walk on but the proximity to it was fantastic. There was even a view from the balcony of the sunrise, although the room was on the side. There seemed to be a garbagy smell in the stairways and there's only one rickety elevator at the front. However the room was adequate with a nice King bed and maid service every day. The air conditioner could be put on low fan so it didn't keep us awake at night. The breakfast was your typical waffles etc. and biscuits and gravy if you like that. It was well kept up considering how much trouble it would be to be so close to the ocean. The pool had sand in it but it was cleaned out every day. You could rent chairs and umbrellas. It is not a luxury hotel just your typical Quality Inn but the price factors in the proximity to the ocean which is priceless. Also it's a hotel that has to make it's money in the summer as it's off the beaten track. The staff was really nice. It is within a stones throw of the Wright Bros museum and monument which is very interesting. We've been to Nags Head before and it's a fantastic area for history. There is a Premium Outlet Mall and lots of those Beach stores close by. We ate at Appleby's and loved it. It was a good deal for the money.

Room Tip: In September the price goes down and the weather is still nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input as it is important to us. Safe Travels and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel was definitely not worth what we paid for it. At least it was right next to the beach and the front desk people were friendly, but those were probably the only good things about it. If I'm going to pay for a hotel like this, I should only have to pay a third of what I did. It's a really old, dirty place that requires serious cleaning; instead of having a view of the ocean, we had a view of old grass. There were also ants in the room, and the breakfast was below average. It definitely didn't help that we had to eat it using cheap plastic tableware. I've been to many places and hotels around the world, but this had to be the worst place I've ever stayed in for more than a night. From now on I'll never stay at a Quality Inn, ever again. I'm surprised this hotel is even on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate your comments and input as they are important for us so we can see where we may improve. Thank You again.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We decided to go down to the Outer Banks on the spur of the moment. This was one of the few hotels that were available. The location is good near a lot of the restaurants and stores. Check in is at 4:00 but we got in at noon and figured I would at least ask if I could check in early. She said I could Pre-Register and they took my number to call me if my room was done early. Once 4:00 rolled around and I had not received a phone call I figure I would go back. There was a waiting line, so I just got in line. The room was a ground floor unit, just a short walk to the pool and not to the beach.
The room was clean with no noticeable problems.
The hotel does offer a continental breakfast but we never went to it. The hotel is nothing special but for the price I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input and the opportunity to be of service to you. Your feedback is important and is shared with our staff. Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stay 90% of the time in "Choice Hotels" when we travel and this one did not disappoint. The room was spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast each morning was well presented and fulfilled our needs. And the location was great! Right on the beach with showers on the beach access to wash the sand off before going back to the room. If you go to the outer banks for a few days this is the place to stay.

1  Thank jesbigfish

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and the opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We spent 3 nights at this motel in July 2013 while on vacation in the OBX .

Pros : Good location, friendly front desk staff . Surprisingly the bed sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. Pool. Beach access

Cons: Too expensive for what it is, cleanliness, poor management, old building in disrepair. Dirty motel rooms. We had to speak to 4 persons to solve a problem.

We are new members of this brand but we are reconsidering it. I would like to say right at the beginning that we are not picky people. We have been on the road a lot lately and we stayed in many different hotel brands. I have worked as a maid in different hotels in the past, I KNOW when it’s clean and when it’s not. This place is not.

When we checked in we took a look at our room and noticed how dirty the room was. There was mold everywhere in the room, on the ceiling, inside the picture frames, even on the hair dryer electrical cord. The smell was unbearable and it was probably not even healthy. We took the room as is on the first night but reported it to 2 different staff (front desk and cleaning acting manager). The next day, upon our return after dinner, we found the room being worst than the day before, it had not been cleaned at all. We then reported the situation to the night manager and offered him to take a look at our room so he could report it accurately. He didn’t mind looking at our room and just offered us another room. He was not interested hearing from us and rudely said: “are you taking this room?”. He couldn’t care less. The next morning, the cleaning manager blamed it on a language issue from her staff, saying that they understood to not clean our room! The cleaning staff was a bunch of probably underpaid foreign students that don’t seem to care. We were not impressed the way they managed the situation.

This place is an old building in disrepair. I understand this motel is by the ocean and of course it is humid, but I don’t think the lamp shade full of dust, (I could write my name on it and it’s probably still there) the filthy carpet, the stains on the walls, the drawers full of sand, the noisy a/c, and the dripping bathtub faucet have anything to do with the fact that it’s close from the ocean and humid. This place is poorly managed, and it’s obvious that the ownership doesn’t care.

This place doesn’t worth the money. There are too many options out there to book at this motel. Make yourself a favour and spend your money to a nicer place for your vacation! I would never go back and would NOT recommend to a friend. I don’t understand how AAA can recommend this place.

If you just want a place to crash after spending the day on the beach instead of camping and you don’t care living in a filthy place and breathing mold and paying for it, well this place is for you!

Room 334 and 330

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Mr. Gagnon, I want to Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I have also received your complaint from Choice Hotels International and will be investigating your claims and I will be making contact with you very soon.. Thank You again!