“Disgusting and dangerous Hotel Impossible”

Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Disgusting and dangerous Hotel Impossible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

My first trip to OBS was nearly ruined by this motel. The room seemed clean but very old at first. Upon closer inspection There was some type of powdered insecticide on the floor under the window (I have a small child) and the selves in the refrigerator were very rusted (who wants to put food on that). The tub was clearly old and the fixtures looked like they've seen better days and it leaked. There was a BIG ant problem so leave nothing out if stay here. Upon complaining they did switch out the shelves, spray for ants. However the poison was still on the floor, there were a few stray ants, and the tub still leaked.
Overall I cannot believe I paid $220-240 per night for this disgusting room/hotel. I wanted to leave a day early but my husband convinced me otherwise. I felt like everything was dirty in the room and wanted to touch nothing.
The best thing was the ocean view and we did see dolphins from our balcony the last morning.
I will never stay here again. I wish I would have took my money and went to Great Wolf Lodge.

Room Tip: Don't stay here but if you do choose the third floor if you want and ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Valarie T
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
My Sincere apologies, if you would'nt mind calling me, I would like to discuss. I would reach out to you, but this site does not give me any sort of information, dates you stayed, name, etc. I hope to hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Room was clean except carpets are really dirty my feet turned black from all dirt in carpets, drippy facet in tub it didn't stop even turning it tight!! Plus thin walls someone cooking something stinky smell in our room & it smelled like wet pets @ times!!
Wouldn't give us room facing ocean even though celebrating special occasion & they weren't busy!! Breakfast was just ok not great coffee weak & orange juice watered down, & hard boiled eggs very store bought & very hard boiled!! Probably wouldn't stay here again...

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, they are important to us. Hopefully those items were addressed in a timely manner for your comfort. Our Breakfast being a Deluxe Continental does have it's limits without be transformed into a restaurant according to the health department standards. We hope you had a great time and Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Roanoke, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here a week in a 3rd floor ocean view room with a balcony. This is really a motel, as most of the places are on the OBX. It works better when heading to the beach. This property is showing it's age and that is starting to work against it. The room was clean enough. Some of the finishes are older and no longer look pretty, but everything worked in our room so no complaints there. The carpet had a few stains, a few cracked tiles, and the bathroom did not have a working fan. The A/C had to be turned up on the highest setting to maintain a reasonably comfortable temperature. The breakfast was very good with biscuits and gravy, two waffle makers, and a pancake machine. Lots of selections and lots of seating. The staff is excellent and went out of their way to call us when the room was ready as we had arrived a little early. LOCATION is the key here, it's right on the beach. The pool area is clean, a little small, but I saw nothing wrong with it. The pool area has a path to the beach, with an area to wash the sand off your feet, etc. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: For a great view of the ocean, choose a top floor ocean view room. The deli at the Exxon station is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments and input as they are important to us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to be of service to you in the near future.

SAN DIEGO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Close to many restaurants and across from the Wright Monument. Hotel on the beach. Was a little older but good enough. A good price for on the beach. Parking was crowded. Breakfast was good - had meats & eggs. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy D
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your comments and input as they are important to us. Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you as well and we hope to see you soon.

Safe Travels Always
Asheboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for one night. Pretty pricy for not much offered. Pool is small and crowded, the same for the continental breakfast, couldn't even get anything to eat because it was so busy. Room was ok I guess, had some broken tiles in the room, stains on carpet, different colored lights in bathroom. Looked like room had a fresh coat of paint. Beds were ok but not too comfortable. The air conditioner didn't work properly, it never really seemed to cool down the room.

Room Tip: RM 339 Be prepared to take stairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey, We appreciate hearing from our guests. We use the surveys as training tools for our staff. As always we want all our guests to be happy with their time with us. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to improve and exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I was a bit skeptical after reading some of these reviews but the choices were limited at last minute. We booked this the night before,and at noon we were allowed to check in so we could get some lunch. We were walking distance from Beach Bistro and had a semi view of ocean from regular room. Room was clean and plenty of towels and cloths. Decent choice for a quick getaway near the water.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Turner-757
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input as they are important to us. Thank You and we hope to be of service to you again.

Jackie Szymanski and Staff
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We booked this Hotel because our other favorite hotel in this area was booked solid as well as several other alternatives. So out of desperation we decided to go with this one. We were afraid of what we would experience. We booked two rooms and although we did not request it they were able to give us two rooms next to each other with beach views. ( only about twelve rooms have beach views) The rates were much lower than the other hotels in the area and they were not gouging people with exorbitant rates even though the other hotels were booked. First it is a older building yes no doubt about it, but it is clean and very well maintained. There was not a single thing wrong with our room. The carpet was clean and looked relatively new, there were no unpleasant odors, the furniture look nice, the AC worked well and kept the room at a pleasant temperature. The Breakfast was very nice and there was plenty of room to sit and enjoy it. It was well stocked and as someone that probably travels a bit more than average I would say it was average to above average, if an item that you want like "meat" is not there then take your big bottom out to a restaurant and pay for it! The front desk staff were very cheerful , helpful and responsive to our every need, what more could I ever ask of them? The televisions were flat screens with a proper amount of television programming. Overall our experience was a pleasant one. My only complaint is that the Wi-Fi keep dropping out every few minutes and I believe the hotel might need to look into this.( I forgot to mention this to the staff) But as I said we had a nice experience at this hotel. I try to be fair and honest with my reviews and check out my other reviews if you would like to see. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants good value and I believe that some people on here that posted bad reviews had some sort of agenda.

Room Tip: You can't get a true Beach View because the Dunes are so high and the Hotel is only three storie...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lawrence C
Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input as they are important to us. We appreciate that we were able of be of service to you and hope to again in the near future.

Safe Travels Always,
Jackie Szymanski and Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,082 reviews
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,372 reviews
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront? Share your experiences!