“Be sure to check your dates and print confirmation.”

Driftin' Sands Motel
Driftin' Sands Motel
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 21 June 2011

When I arrived to check in I was told I had booked the previous night and never showed up. No kidding! I definitely booked the night I wanted and someone on there end screwed up and booked the wrong date. I was told they had emailed me the confirmation and that I was being charged for the stay. I was so irate, after being told there was nothing they could do and that their reservation takers never make mistakes, I stormed out and found lodging elsewhere After thinking about it I realized I never gave anyone my email address to begin with and that they couldn't have emailed me the confirmation.

Lesson learned. Always print confirmation information and bring with you on your trip.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cofccougar

Reviewed 22 July 2010

I stayed at the Driftin' Sands for 3 days in July with my husband and 2 girlfriends while we were in town for a wedding. We got the 8 person "cottage."

The "cottage" is very much like a 3-bedroom apartment. It's complete with 4 double beds, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen with basic equipment (full-sized fridge, coffeemaker, stove) and a living area, several TVs. It's really big and we fit the 4 of us very comfortably. You could definitely fit more people. The beds were fine, it was clean, smell-free, and sunny. The couches were super uncomfortable, but it wasn't a big deal.

While it was pretty barebones, it was clean and convenient to the beach. By the time we split the price three ways, I really don't think you could get a better deal anywhere. Great for folks on a budget.

You also get all the amenities from the Days Inn across the street since it's a sister property. The lady at the front desk of the Days Inn was incredibly nice and helpful. It sounds like they take a lot of pride in operating their hotel.

Friends stayed in the regular rooms at the Driftin' sands and said they were extremely small, but I did not see them.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank emscronce
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Driftin' Sands Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Driftin Sands Motel on the Outer Banks. The house that you stayed in was the original owner's home when they operated the Driftin' Sands themselves (and before it was bought a long time ago). Everything at the Driftin Sands was gutted in the winter of 2003 and was finished in 2004--and it is all nonsmoking, located across the street from the ocean.

You are correct that if you are just looking for a nice clean place to stay with a microwave/refrigerator...then we're your place. Our smallest rooms would be the rooms with 1 double bed though we have 1 room with 2 doubles and a few smaller sized 2 bedroom apts with kitchenettes in them, in addition to the house.

I am very pleased that you had a great encounter with the front desk staff and that you all enjoyed your stay. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, please feel free to contact us and we would be happy to make reservations for your next stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
0 mi away
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
3 mi away
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Driftin' Sands Motel? Share your experiences!