“Great for Us”

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We arrived abit late due to the airline and airport delaying us so when we walking in the place was nice and welcoming,the young lady at the desk give us an upgrade to a bigger room with a kitchen (not many utensils but enough to get by unless you are throwing a dinner party)and ocean view which was much appreciated.We found all the staff and the amenities very good,the people who bad mouth this place should realize it is a Days Inn and not some posh resort where you pay through the nose for not much better lodgings.We had a good time there,thankyou to all concerned.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property, and we thank you for visiting the Outer Banks! I am glad that we were able to be a bright spot during your day filled with delays at the airport. We appreciate all your kind words and I am pleased you were satisfied with your stay. The next time you get to visit NC we hope that you are able to come back to the Outer Banks.....we would be happy to see you again!
Thank you!
Tonia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 26 March 2011

This hotel is a true oceanfront hotel, just steps away from the beach. The view from the 4 rooms on the second level rear offer a reasonable view. The place has been updated and the common rooms were above average. The rooms were reasonably clean, although our bathroom could have used a bit more detailing on the floor. The room had a "closed up" odor, so we went to the store and bought some room spray which helped somewhat. The beds were reasonably comfortable but the pillows were the foam, rubber kind and not comfortable at all. I was awake all night trying to get comfortable. What was disappointing was that the window in the room could not be opened to listen to the surf. Also their "wireless network" is virtually nil. We could never get a connection no matter where in the hotel we were siting. After more than 2 hours of trying, we gave up. The breakfast is the basic waffles, yogurt, fruit, muffins, etc. Coffee needs to be a better quality. It had a funny taste to everyone in our group. They had cookies and popcorn in the late afternoon which was a nice touch. Desk personnel were helpful. Our Wyndham points were not put on our account, so we had to send in a "missing points" report. Not bad for the price. I guess we would stay there again. Would be nice if they allowed pets.

1  Thank ShenandoahBabe
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property on the Outer Banks. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our Douwe Egberts coffee while visiting our property and that the WiFi signal was not satisfactory. I was not able to see a call ticket with our internet tech support for an issue in the past couple of weeks so I'm not sure if the people controlling the network are aware there may have been problems. I will contact them to see if they see if they might see a controller which may need to be reset.....we also do provide a computer in the lobby which has internet access for our guests.

The pillow choice is required by Days Inn as they give us a spec to adhere to and as I am at a Days Inn Conference right now--I will let their Sourcing person know I have had a guest who did not care for the pillow they have chosen (we will see him tomorrow). Unfortunately none of the chain oceanfront hotels on the main part of the beach has windows which open, though we do have plate glass windows from ceiling to shin level for viewing of the ocean (in our oceanview rooms). I am pleased that the staff was helpful during your stay. And if for some reason you have issues receiving your points please let me know and I can try to follow up for you. You should receive the points as long as the reservation was made at the property, the Days Inn toll free number or website (and not through a third party website).

Just for everyone to know--if you are a part of our world wide points program--if you make reservations from the points website you will always get your points. If you call our brand's toll free number or make reservations thru the property directly or on the brand's website---we do have to know in advance that you are a member because your name will not necessarily bring up that you are a member. When retrieving your receipt at check out, if you do not see your Rewards number on your receipt then you are not getting credit for your stay so a process would have to be gone through to make sure you are able to receive points for your stay. And again, you cannot receive points for a stay made through a third party website.

And again if you have any issue with points I will do my best to help you, just contact me. Thanks again for writing a review of our property and we hope to see you again on the Outer Banks!

Thanks--Tonia

Reviewed 10 March 2011

A comfortable and clean motel with friendly staff. Breakfast was nothing special.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property on the Outer Banks. We appreciate all feedback--short or lengthy. I am pleased that you found our staff to be accommodating and I will share your comment with them.

If you are able to return to the Outer Banks, please feel free to contact me directly for reservations. Thank you for visiting!

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stay here annually for Presidents' Day weekend. It's very affordable in the winter, especially considering what you get for your money. I like it a lot. I can't speak to the rates in the warmer months.

The building is not your typical motel. It is decades old (100 years?) but up to date. The lobby is handsome, with hardwood floors, couches and chairs and a fireplace. The wide staircase is handsome, too. Guest rooms are on two levels. Depending on your room, entrance may be through the lobby or back entrance, or directly from the outside.
The beach is right behind the motel, great for those who want to stroll, sunbathe or, like me, watch wildlife. The whole of the Outer Banks ocean beaches can be great for birds. Dolphins are regularly seen. The location of this Days Inn is close enough for a short drive or even a walk to restaurants and the Wright Bros. Memorial (w/in 1/2 mile). A larger walk or drive (w/in a few miles) takes one to many restaurants, shops and a nature preserve.

Breakfast is available every morning. It's simple but good (make your own waffles - yes!). Also, cookies and cider are put out for guests late in the day (I assume this is not done in the warmer months).

A pool, volleyball court and bbq grill are available but I've never used them because as I mentioned I've only been here in the winter.

Rooms are simple but clean. They feature a mini-fridge and a microwave. Wireless internet is free. There is also a convenient public computer in the lobby.

The staff gives good service. I have found them to always to be helpful and pleasant and ready to answer questions. They aim to make your stay a more enjoyable one. All these reasons are why I keep coming back each year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

I very much appreciate your review of our Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers on the Outer Banks. Your comments are very kind and I will share them with the staff. You are correct that in the warmer months we do not have hot apple cider...but we do have ice cold lemonade with cookies instead.

We appreciate all of our guests and we really appreciate all of our returning guests. When you are able to visit again, please feel free to contact me directly to make your reservation at our hotel. We'll be happy to see you again!

Thank you!

Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed here out of season and the staff were helpful and very welcoming. The hot cider on arrival is a lovely touch and the front of house manager on duty (Marlene) went the extra mile to help us when we were confused over our reservation. She even went as far as to call another hotel in case we had booked with them rather than booking us in straight away! Very impressive! We would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay at our Days Inn Oceafront on the Outer Banks. We thank you for choosing us for your stay and I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will make sure and share with Marlene your kind comments and I am glad that she was able to help you at the front desk. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, please feel free to contact us directly and any of us would be happy to reserve your next stay with us!

Thanks again---Tonia

Reviewed 17 February 2011

We only stayed one night on a road trip holiday so cannot speak in detail regarding the full functionality of this hotel but what I can say is that it was perfect for what we were in need of. The location is great, just off the main road across from the Wright Brothers visitor centre, and it opens up onto a glorious section of the beach at the back. It has a quaint feel of a lodge or cottage, with a fireplace in the lobby and a lot of original wood fixtures. Breakfast was good: make-your-own waffles, fruit, yogurt and a range of brand cereals and fresh juice. The rooms were fine and had all the mod-cons you would need, the only slight negative was all the rooms being off one corridor so I imagine it could get a little noisy when the hotel is full. We weren't disturbed though. Speedy check in at 2am after long drive from NYC was appreciated also!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

I'm so sorry I missed responding to your review! I appreciate your writing a review of your stay at our Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers. We do take pride in our property being unlike all others on the beach--it is the longest, continuous-running hotel on the beach. We do hope you are able to visit again another time--we'll be happy to make reservations for your stay!
Thanks,

Reviewed 4 February 2011

The staff was pleasant and helpful. The hotel lobby and dining area were charming. The facility was small, but very comfortable. We seemed to be close to all of the attractions we visited.

The room was small, but clean. The hallway was sometimes noisy, but we did have the first room on the hall if entering from the lobby.

I enjoyed making my own waffles for breakfast both mornings. The usual items were there as well...fruit, yogurt, pastries, cereal, juice, and milk.

The only downsides were the noise from the hallway, the small bed, and the small rooms, but the price was appropriate from my expectations of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Days Inn Oceanfront on the Outer Banks. We are glad to have all feedback from our guests. We thank you for chosing us for your stay and I am pleased that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us.

The waffles are great, I have to admit I've tried them and liked them too, and I'm glad that you found breakfast to your liking. If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to make reservations for your next stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hil...
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!